Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hospitalized 2 Wks Post-Op, Dr. Said Future Erosion Is Likely

I was banded on Dec 13, 2007, but developed a post-surgical complication and was just in the hospital for 4 days.

I had been having really bad gurgling, burning, and pain in my upper left quadrant, above my port and under my left breast since a few days after my surgery. It got progressively worse until Sunday night (11 days post-op), I was running a fever of 102.7 and ended up in the emergency room. They admitted me into the hospital and a local doctor here in Phoenix agreed to take my case, even though he did not do the surgery.

The first thing he told me when he came into my hospital room is that based on my symptoms, he thought I had a perforation in my stomach and that it could be deadly and would require emergency surgery to remove my band and then repair the perforation. He said it was a very difficult surgery, especially for someone like myself who weighs almost 400 pounds and that it could be fatal. After telling me this grim news, he left my room and went to surgery for 4 hours and left me there thinking that was possibly my last day on earth. Needless to say, I was petrified.

Later that afternoon, they took me down for an endoscopy so the doctor could see if there was indeed a perforation somewhere. Fortunately, he did not see any leaks, they did x-rays immediately afterwards to check for leaks of the gas they used during the endoscopy, which would indicate a perforation but they did not find any. The next morning they did a chest x-ray to check for a small or slow leak during the previous night but all was clear. THANK GOD!

It ended up being inflamation and irritation around the band in the back where the stitching is done, the area where they sew your bottom stomach to the top of the stomach above the band. They said it was a micro-perforation that would heal with antibiotics. They are not exactly sure what caused it, but they said I should be alright but the doctor that treated me said that because of this, I would likely have band erosion in the future. They are also not sure what caused the fever since my blood tests did not indicate an infection, but they said that inflammation can also cause fever. However, they placed me on antibiotics the day I was admitted and within 24-48 hours the fever began to regress and has since completely disappeared. I was sent home on Friday with a prescription for Augmentin for 2 weeks, just in case.

The doctor who did my Lap-band surgery (he is out of state) was in touch with me several times a day throughout the ordeal and was in communication with the doctor that was treating me in the hospital. The local doctor that was treating me said the band was placed in textbook position and that the surgeon that performed my surgery did great cosmetic work, as you can barely even see my incisions and they are almost completely healed.

I thank God everyday that I am alive and well. This could have been much worse than it was, although it was very painful, I am feeling much better now and glad to be able to write once again. The most pain will come when I receive the hospital bills since I don't have insurance. I may very well end up losing everything I have trying to pay the bills but at least I have my life, for which I am truly thankful.

I would really like to thank one of the members of this board for their support. Wasabubblebutt, whom I have taked to over the phone and look forward to meeting in person soon, called me several times and really went out of her way to help me through this scary situation. I am amazed at how caring people can be when you don't even really know them. Thanks for being there for me and all of the kind words and support that you offered me, you have no idea how much it meant to me.

The main point of my post is that if you feel like something is wrong, please get it checked out. It is hard to tell what could have happened if I had not went to the emergency room when I did.

Hey - wow, I am so sorry for all you went through! ALWAYS, get a second opinion, especially if a doc walks in and tells you stuff like that. A family member was once having emergency surgery and the doc was rude, scary, and we wouldn't let him touch her. We got a second opinion and another doc.

Also, i can't remember where it was, but a bunch of people on this board were talking about pain, if you can find it, or I will try to as well, refer them to this post.

Also get another opinion from another lap-band surgeon, and ask whether you should take out and replace the band before the erosion... there is something where the band, or the stomach, or something folds inside, and you can't get other surgery.... so you should discuss that with a DIFFERENT (or a few different) doctor(s).

Glad you are feeling better!!!

Mona... :) I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I've been following most of your story and have thoroughly enjoyed your posts. This makes me really sad. I feel like I know you IRL and I was really cheering for you that this would be it for you. :( What a terrible ordeal. I can so relate on hospital bills...the perils of being self-pay. :( Oh, man. This just really sucks.

IF (HUGE if, since I will continue to hope and send my best thoughts that it won't happen!) IF IF IF what he said about erosion is true, do you think you'll try to find a way to get a conversion to VSG or GBP? Or just get the band out and be done with it? Keep us updated on what happens. I really do hope everything turns out and you get to keep that band! I'm cheering for you, hun!

Mona....as one who did not have insurance for a very long time and had to pay for a lot of hospital pays: Check with the hospital you had to stay at. Often they will give you a discount or completely write off your hospital bill if you are having a hard time paying for it. Just call them and they will be able to help. Usually talk to the billing dept. Hope this relieves a little stress!:nervous Hope you are feeling better!

Oh no, Mone!! I am so sorry for your ordeal. I too have been following your posts and got to wondering how your surgery went. I hope the best for you and I hope that this band will work for you without complication. The surgeon that took you on is not a surgeon that does lapbands, is he? If not he could just be spouting off at the mouth his own "opinion." It is good that your lapband surgeon was alerted to your complication and followed up with you and your doc!! Did you discuss what the new doc had to say about your band with your band doc, if so what did he say about it? If not, I would. I would make sure to let him know, and get his opinion. Hopefully this is just a speedbump in your road to band success. Know that we are all rooting for you, and praying as well!!

I hope you are now on the road to a successful and complication free band journey.

Definitely try and get some help from the hospital, at the very least maybe you could get them to only charge the amount they would have been paid if you had insurance. (insurance usually only pays about a 1/3 of the actual billing amount!)

What did your band surgeon say about the erosion speculation? How can this other doctor predict an erosion?<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<p>I want to say something encouraging but afraid I'll come off the wrong way, so just know lots of people are thinking of you and feeling your frustration & glad you pulled through.</p>

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. For those inquiring about the possibility of erosion, the doctor that took care of me locally is also a bariatric surgeon as well, however, he does more RNY than bands.

My band doctor (Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver, Colorado) said that it will likely cause erosion in the future as well. Of course, I am just at higher risk for erosion, it doesn't mean I will erode but the possibility is greatly increased.

At this point, I am truly thankful that I am still alive and that it was not a perforation. I really appreciate all of the prayers and I have faith that God will work it out that the band will not erode. In the meantime, I am going to do my best to follow all of the "band rules" and give myself the best chance for a successful outcome.

Also, thanks to those with advise on the hospital bills, I will be calling the billing department in a few days to work something out. I appreciate the advise.

I'm really glad to hear that it's just a possibility and not an eventuality for erosion, Mona! I'll continue to send good thoughts!

WOW! Mona I had no idea. I had not been on the board for awhile. I am so glad to hear you are doing better. Thank God you are okay! I will keep you and my bandster bothers and sisters in my prayers. Everyday I pray for my health. It is so precious. Take care and keep a positive attitude.

I'd go to be looked over by another doc... good luck and stay healthy!

Wow! So sorry you had to go through that, but I'm so glad you are o.k. You must have been so frightened. I'm really glad you're feeling better!

Marieze