Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Addiction Transfer - It might be real!

What???? Sex is bad???? I thought Sex was exercise! :Banane20:

Of course it was never bad sex when I was involved !! ;) :cheated: Picking up strangers on a regular basis I consider bad sex, especially in my early 30s. Gave that up and turned to gambling, so from one to another. My fear of being slim is that I can turn to that type of behaviour again. I am mature enough now not to get caught up in it again, at least not to the same degree but the fear is still there.

PS: I have never been married and am currently single.

amillerjones, I struggle with alcohol too. Right now I am trying to not drink during the week. I haven't had a drink in a few days now which is really good for me. Try and just limit yourself.

Did either of you drink before you were banded?

I have always had issues with alcohol. This is because I have always had serious problems with depression, an issue which is genetically-linked and which is an issue in our family. Individuals who suffer from psychological problems, even those which are based in a neurological and genetically transferred disorder, will inevitably be prone to drift into the land of self-medication. This means that we will be suckers for drug, alcohol and food abuse. You must understand that alcohol, drugs, and stuffing yerself with food will cause your brain chemistry to unleash - on a short term basis of course - a flood of chemicals which will permit you, the miserable depressive, to feel a fugitive sense of happiness. It is when we must undergo the work of untying ourselves from this complex of buffers that we run into real difficulties.

And, yes, I suspect that we are all wearing the same miserable t-shirt, doncha think?

I have to point out that you are using OCD and obsessive/compulsive very loosely here... if you actually have OCD, you definitely need to see a psychiatrist/psychologist. I know people in general use it out of context, but you really should put a finger on what's wrong..

My choices of addiction are very limited and that is why I think that I still cling to the food thing.

Alcohol, not predisposed to it and don't even think about it. I will have a drink on rare occasions to be sociable.

Shopping, haven't lost enough weight to want to buy many new things, plus I have a closet full just waiting for the lbs to fall. And I live with a pack rat husband so I do not need any more junk.

Gambling---way to sensible with money, plus witnessed firsthand the devistation on self and family.

Sex---post menopausal..enough said.

What else is there?

I have become attached to this and other WLS boards out of necessity and for recreational purposes.

I need to become addicted to self improvement. That is going to involve exercise and I find that impossible to wrap my head around.

I need to become addicted to self improvement. That is going to involve exercise and I find that impossible to wrap my head around.

I like that, Phyllis! "I need to become addicted to self improvement."

I have to point out that you are using OCD and obsessive/compulsive very loosely here... if you actually have OCD, you definitely need to see a psychiatrist/psychologist. I know people in general use it out of context, but you really should put a finger on what's wrong..

Sorry but I don't agree.. you can have the disorder without it requiring full on therapy. There are degrees of all psychological disorders.

Well, it's not really about agreeing or disagreeing... if you have the chemical imbalance that is OCD, you should get help. Yes, there are some people who aren't always in therapy, but to get diagnosed you had to have one point seen a doctor... a lot of people with OCD need medication. Besides, my point was calling an obsession OCD... obsessions that people have sometimes and OCD are very different things.

And of course there are degrees... I have severe OCD, there are people with mild OCD, who may not need a doctor all the time, but they've usually needed to see one at some point, and probably will again...

And of course there are degrees... I have severe OCD, there are people with mild OCD, who may not need a doctor all the time, but they've usually needed to see one at some point, and probably will again...

I understand what you are saying but I think most people on here would have had some form of therapy during their years of obesity. Addiction is a form of OCD so I don't believe we are using it out of context. I worked in the area of psychology for more than a decade and have also had therapy from time to time so I very much understand what I'm talking about.

I too, understand very much what I'm talking about. Having not only studied it, but actually having a severe form of it. Addiction is not a form of OCD -- it can be there with it, and the addiction can be linked to it...

But just saying "oh I'm so OCD about this doesn't actually mean it is OCD... people use it today very loosely -- the above posters seemed like they were, and that they did not actually have the disorder -- but that may be incorrect.

I think I could have a shopping 'issue'. I've always bought junk I don't need (but do want at the moment).. but since banding, with the clothes sizing just a shrinking away, I buy a lot more, just because I'm thrilled to fit into them.

Point in case, I just bought a $250 leather jacket.. most expensive clothing item I've ever bought.. but it was so cute, and actually on sale at that price. The next day I saw Victoria's secret having a sale.. and they had sweater-jackets on sale for $19!! I don't need more sweater-jackets since I just bought this coat.. but the novelty of the fact according to their size chart I *CAN* wear XL at VS, I was just beside myself. I had to get them. And I did.. wee. I am buying a lot more just because I can.. but I'm not correcting it, I'm enjoying it. heh.