Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

im 1 week out and eating!

Can somebody please kick my ass? And I would like to get off of my mighty high horse, too. :)

I had a spoonful of Nutella on a few separate occasions....not sure if you all know what it is, but it is a sandwich spread, chocolate and hazelnuts (nothing crunchy) - but a good 100+ calories per tbsp. It is aaawesome.

I stopped yesterday, realized what I was doing. At the time I was thinking, GOD I NEED THIS! I CAN HAVE broth THE REST OF THE DAY IF I CAN JUST HAVE THIS! (and it worked). Then I realized after I was craving it more and more, hey, I'm cheating my band here!

Ugh......

It's been a week since my surgery. This is harder than I thought it would be. It was easy the first bit as I had a lot of restriction..but now it's just killing me.

Can somebody please kick my ass? And I would like to get off of my mighty high horse, too. :)

I had a spoonful of Nutella on a few separate occasions....not sure if you all know what it is, but it is a sandwich spread, chocolate and hazelnuts (nothing crunchy) - but a good 100+ calories per tbsp. It is aaawesome.

I stopped yesterday, realized what I was doing. At the time I was thinking, GOD I NEED THIS! I CAN HAVE broth THE REST OF THE DAY IF I CAN JUST HAVE THIS! (and it worked). Then I realized after I was craving it more and more, hey, I'm cheating my band here!

Ugh......

It's been a week since my surgery. This is harder than I thought it would be. It was easy the first bit as I had a lot of restriction..but now it's just killing me.

Bert99 - I am not going to kick you butt - but tell you that you need to start seaching for better food choices - they are there you just gotta look and plan

Are you on just Clear Liquids or can you have thin creamed Soups - they helped me the most - I made pot of pinto Beans - took the Beans out - put them in my magic bullett puree them then add them back to the bean broth - cream of pinto bean Soup.. I found home made so much better than canned stuff. Also, instant mashed potatoe Soup made with skim milk and no Water (to boost protein) Throw the Nutella away - I was guilt of sucking on Peanut Butter before i was suppose to - so I just threw it away - if it's not there you can't eat it and your family doesn't need the junk either. "Better in thee (the trash) than in me " On the liquid stage I was allowed sf puddings, yogurts, fudgecicles, creamed Soups, v8 juice, and the awful Protein shakes - mushie 10 days out - mashed potatoes, refried beans, eggbeaters (great omlette w/a little cheese) oatmeal, creamed spinach - zuchinne cooked to death and dover sole baked and mushed up real good - pollenta with a marnia sauce with ricotta cheese - check out the food thread there are a lot of good ideas on what to eat..

It is work to find things that are low calories and within your band guidelines - but it can be done - it's not like driving thru the drive thru to get a quick bite - but once you get the rythem of cooking healthy and planing your meals - it will become your new way of thinking - dinner takes me 30 minutes tops - and i eat very healthy...

You can do this...

I am 4 weeks post op - feel great down about 18 lbs first fill scheduled for the 8th - banded on 12/6 - went through the holidays with not much of a problem - my husband was banded on 11/15 so we are doing this together. want to cheat sometimes - sometimes I am hungry, Water doesn't always cut the feeling

I am 4 weeks post op - feel great down about 18 lbs first fill scheduled for the 8th - banded on 12/6 - went through the holidays with not much of a problem - my husband was banded on 11/15 so we are doing this together. want to cheat sometimes - sometimes I am hungry, Water doesn't always cut the feeling

Abbisgood

No Water doesn't cut the hunger - i think thats b.s. jmho - but making healthy food choices does - It's great that you and your dh are together on this new exciting life to get healthy..

Good Luck to you & him.

I felt really HUNGRY after 4 weeks - still some restriction, though. Getting my first fill was great - got it yesterday, and I can tell a difference. You will too when you get your fill on the 8th.

Thanks Indigogirl!

My major problem is I usually don't cook and rather would buy something pre-made at the store.

I will give some of your ideas a try.

I found by adding oxo and Beneprotein to my broth it added some flavor.

I bought some Imagine organic Soups and they were pretty good - sweet potato, potato and leeks - they are all very thin.

I also had a minigo (tiny kids-sized yogurt) yesterday and OMG OMG it was soooo good.

I am slowly trying new things for the week2 diet. I can do this! :):D

Bert,

It's tough! I'm struggling too. Remember the first few days on liquids pre-op? I thought I was going to die! I was ready to call in and tell the coordinator to kiss my @$$! But in the end I told myself that I could do ANYTHING for 2 weeks. And then I had surgery and looked and 3 more weeks liquids! Uh....who were they trying to kid? But, if I did two weeks before why couldn't I do three weeks this time?

Peanut Butter is my absolute weakness! I stood and smelled and sniffed, and frothed at the mouth every time I made my son a pbj (and he's an addict to pbj's). And then I licked the knife, and it was the worst thing I ever did because I couldn't get by on smelling anymore. I had to have a taste...then I had to have a spoonful....then I was about to make a sandwich. And I snapped myself out of it. I AM stronger than my addiction. YOU are stronger than yours.

If you CAN'T throw away the nutella (because I would have been lynched had I tried to get rid of the peanut butter) insist that you don't go anywhere near it. Don't smell it, don't look at it, don't have any part of it. It's like telling an alcoholic he can have a sip of wine. Right now, we're not that strong.

Another thing I did to help me work through was I realized I was an addict. My drug of choice just happens to be food. It has the same effect on me as heroin, meth, or alcohol does on those addicts. Then I watched that movie about the lady that goes into rehab...."28 days". and listened to some of the advice they gave. I know it's hollywood but the advice isn't all bad. Try to hear the why they do what they do and see if you can do some of those same things without being "committed". I see my band as an intervention of sorts. It just so happens I had to have my own intervention instead of my loved ones ganging up on me.

Forgive yourself for messing up, and get back on track. We all mess up and the key is not letting it completely derail you. In the past we've allowed our failures to consume us and give up on ourselves. We no longer have to do that because we aren't doing this alone. We have our bands (even though they aren't working yet) and each other.

Don't get down on yourself.....it's to hard to get back up. Learn your triggers. Take it for what it is, a step back, and since you've already taken the step forward once, just follow in your own footprints. You'll be moving in the right direction again and all will be well.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress as well as your state of mind.

Steph

I was banded on 12/27 and I have lost 13 lbs in about 9 days. I have moved to some mushies, some mashed potatoes and oatmeal or cream of wheat with a lot of skim milk. I want to make good choices, but I am not going to make my life absolutely miserable either. I made a big pot of chicken Soup for the fam and I am just drinking the "broth" its sooo much better than the can stuff.

Reading some of the posts, I find it hard to believe that anyone who has gotten so big as to need a lap band cannot "understand" why someone would want to eat a piece of pizza.

I think the problem with indulging in those cravings, is that it makes it that much easier to do it again. Dont beat yourself up over it, but do scold yourself and think about everything youve went through and why. I have seen people with bands gain the weight back because of the choices they make. Like someone said before it is not a magic cure. It is a tool that when used in conjunction with DIET and EXERCISE is pretty much fool proof.

I think I would murder someone to be able to eat some pizza right now, seriously. But I wont do it because I risked my life to have this done, I risked leaving my kids without a Mom -- and I didnt do that just so I could sneak around and eat pizza and hamburgers as before. But Im not gonna come down on somebody who does, I can totally and completely understand it. I wish you guys all the best. See ya :eek:

%%Be my myspace friend MySpace.com - Katie - 29 - Female - FORT WORTH, Texas - www.myspace.com/katie_martinez

We all know this is not the easy way out of obesity. We need to follow our doctors orders as closely as we can. Perfection is not excellence. We can have excellent results without being perfect. Your weight loss future is in your hands-take responsibility for doing the very best you can and don't worry about perfection! And by the way-I don't envy those of you who were banded right around the holidays-It must make compliance so much harder! A peaceful, pleasant weightloss journey to all!

I was banded in December. I was on liquids for two weeks and on Saturday started the mush stage. I have had scrambled eggs, low cal mashed potatoes and oatmeal. I am going to stick with this for two weeks. It is hard as I still have all my normal food feelings but want to make this work. I was even at a baby shower on Saturday and ate nothing. I start the real diet on January 19th. I am scared to start and hope to do all the proper chewing. I don't have my first fill until February 7th. I still get shoulder pain in my left arm..is this normal? Also I feel like I don't swallow right..like I can't anymore...is this in my mind?

I was banded in December. I was on liquids for two weeks and on Saturday started the mush stage. I have had scrambled eggs, low cal mashed potatoes and oatmeal. I am going to stick with this for two weeks. It is hard as I still have all my normal food feelings but want to make this work. I was even at a baby shower on Saturday and ate nothing. I start the real diet on January 19th. I am scared to start and hope to do all the proper chewing. I don't have my first fill until February 7th. I still get shoulder pain in my left arm..is this normal? Also I feel like I don't swallow right..like I can't anymore...is this in my mind?

Take the word "DIET" out of your vocabulary...

This is not a diet - diets don't work - as soon as you go off your diet and return to normal eating habits you gain all your weight back and then some. So that is telling you that what you consider normal isn't..

With the band we have a lifetime lifestyle change in our eating - healthy low fat - low sugar and exercise

Yes I would get gas pains in my shoulder after eating sometimes - as for the swallowing - I can swallow ok - if I am tight and I take a big drink of Water - it takes a bit to go down...

I also cheated after a week, I did cheat with Proteins, LOVE meat. I was so worried, and asked my doctor what was it that they were afraid of.

1. Throwing up (band moves)

2. Starting Digestion

3. Gaining weight

His answer was throwing up, they want the band to heal in place, more than anything. He said he didn't even care about the weight loss yet. So if it goes through and you don't get stuck....use your judgement.