Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months out.. any naseau?gerd?

I am waking at night with naseau or reflux (kind of trying to figure out which it is). Has ANYONE experienced this? I’m praying that it’s nothing serious because the whole reason I had the revision surgery was for bad erosions that wouldn’t heal from acid reflux (after the sleeve).

had an endoscopy two weeks ago and have another scheduled In May

THANK U FOR SHARING/your time

yes...i had/have this issue.

i learned to make sure i ALWAYS go to bed (or lay down) on an empty stomach, and sleep with my head slightly elevated.

it has got a little better over the years (i'm 5+ years out now), but if im not careful i'll wake up choking on some bile/throwup very suddenly.

this has probably happened 4-5 times in just the last 12 months alone...all under the same circumstance: i fell asleep on the couch watching tv after eating something. it used to happen much more frequently in the beginning, so yeah it got better...but i dunno if my reflux itself got better, or if i just got better at managing the triggers 🤷🏻‍♀️

Posted (edited)

so you went from sleeve to bypass? That will usually cure it - or at minimum, greatly improve it. Hopefully something will show up on your (May) endoscopy so they'll know what's going on.

Edited by catwoman7

8 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

so you went from sleeve to bypass? That will usually cure it - or at minimum, greatly improve it. Hopefully something will show up on your (May) endoscopy so they'll know what's going on.

oopsies sorry...didn't realize u had a revision...(i am just a single surgery sleever)...disregard my earlier post!

26 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

yes...i had/have this issue.

i learned to make sure i ALWAYS go to bed (or lay down) on an empty stomach, and sleep with my head slightly elevated.

it has got a little better over the years (i'm 5+ years out now), but if im not careful i'll wake up choking on some bile/throwup very suddenly.

this has probably happened 4-5 times in just the last 12 months alone...all under the same circumstance: i fell asleep on the couch watching tv after eating something. it used to happen much more frequently in the beginning, so yeah it got better...but i dunno if my reflux itself got better, or if i just got better at managing the triggers 🤷🏻‍♀️

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your comment. It’s good to know that I’m not experiencing the impossible. Or imagining it

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, BQT said:

I am waking at night with naseau or reflux (kind of trying to figure out which it is). Has ANYONE experienced this? I’m praying that it’s nothing serious because the whole reason I had the revision surgery was for bad erosions that wouldn’t heal from acid reflux (after the sleeve).

Gastric bypass for GERD developed from a sleeve surgery is considered the gold standard of treatment. However, it is not 100% effective... A number of studies, like this one https://www.nature.com/articles/s41366-022-01072-9 show that up to 30% of people still report post-operative GERD symptoms to some degree after gastric bypass. You are not experiencing the impossible, nor are you imagining it. Unfortunately these occurrences have not been well studied, so it is good you are having an endoscopy to check things out. Hopefully it will show something that can be easily corrected!! In the meantime, elevating the head of your bed when you sleep can make a big difference. You can do this by elevating the actual mattress, or sleeping with a wedge pillow.

As an aside, when you developed GERD with the sleeve, did they do studies to prove GERD due to stomach acid reflux? I ask because some people with GERD actually have bile reflux, which can produce the same symptoms but has a very different treatment path. It is worth ensuring they've tested for bile reflux just to be sure they are treating the right condition.

Edited by ChunkCat

Thank u again.. well they were going to do that pill / camera thing when I had the sleeve but when I woke up they said that during the endoscopy they saw that it was acid and I was too inflamed.

the reason that I freak is because my little brother died of stomach cancer in his 30s .

my doc actually said two weeks ago after the post-surgery endoscopy that maybe these are phantom pains because this should’ve cured it 😫.

20 hours ago, BQT said:

my doc actually said two weeks ago after the post-surgery endoscopy that maybe these are phantom pains because this should’ve cured it 😫.

it usually does - but like the person above said, not always - although it's good to have it checked in case something else is going on.

I had to have a revision to bypass from sleeve because the GERD that developed from the sleeve was SO SO bad it caused me to be on 80mg of Nexium 2x per day and Pepcid 1-2x per day, plus I developed gastritis, esophagitis, and so many polyps because of the high amt of PPIs over a long period of time that it took 4 endoscopies to remove them. Since I had the revision, I haven't had a single issue since. If you're having problems even after the revision to bypass, try a low dose of PPI (Prilosec, Nexium, etc) and speak to your doctor. I haven't heard of "phantom pains" from previous GERD, but I guess it's possible. Maybe get a 2nd opinion??