Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months out.. any naseau?gerd?

I am waking at night with naseau or reflux (kind of trying to figure out which it is). Has ANYONE experienced this? I’m praying that it’s nothing serious because the whole reason I had the revision surgery was for bad erosions that wouldn’t heal from acid reflux (after the sleeve).

had an endoscopy two weeks ago and have another scheduled In May

THANK U FOR SHARING/your time

yes...i had/have this issue.

i learned to make sure i ALWAYS go to bed (or lay down) on an empty stomach, and sleep with my head slightly elevated.

it has got a little better over the years (i'm 5+ years out now), but if im not careful i'll wake up choking on some bile/throwup very suddenly.

this has probably happened 4-5 times in just the last 12 months alone...all under the same circumstance: i fell asleep on the couch watching tv after eating something. it used to happen much more frequently in the beginning, so yeah it got better...but i dunno if my reflux itself got better, or if i just got better at managing the triggers 🤷🏻‍♀️

Posted (edited)

so you went from sleeve to bypass? That will usually cure it - or at minimum, greatly improve it. Hopefully something will show up on your (May) endoscopy so they'll know what's going on.

Edited by catwoman7

8 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

so you went from sleeve to bypass? That will usually cure it - or at minimum, greatly improve it. Hopefully something will show up on your (May) endoscopy so they'll know what's going on.

oopsies sorry...didn't realize u had a revision...(i am just a single surgery sleever)...disregard my earlier post!

26 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

yes...i had/have this issue.

i learned to make sure i ALWAYS go to bed (or lay down) on an empty stomach, and sleep with my head slightly elevated.

it has got a little better over the years (i'm 5+ years out now), but if im not careful i'll wake up choking on some bile/throwup very suddenly.

this has probably happened 4-5 times in just the last 12 months alone...all under the same circumstance: i fell asleep on the couch watching tv after eating something. it used to happen much more frequently in the beginning, so yeah it got better...but i dunno if my reflux itself got better, or if i just got better at managing the triggers 🤷🏻‍♀️

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your comment. It’s good to know that I’m not experiencing the impossible. Or imagining it

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, BQT said:

I am waking at night with naseau or reflux (kind of trying to figure out which it is). Has ANYONE experienced this? I’m praying that it’s nothing serious because the whole reason I had the revision surgery was for bad erosions that wouldn’t heal from acid reflux (after the sleeve).

Gastric bypass for GERD developed from a sleeve surgery is considered the gold standard of treatment. However, it is not 100% effective... A number of studies, like this one https://www.nature.com/articles/s41366-022-01072-9 show that up to 30% of people still report post-operative GERD symptoms to some degree after gastric bypass. You are not experiencing the impossible, nor are you imagining it. Unfortunately these occurrences have not been well studied, so it is good you are having an endoscopy to check things out. Hopefully it will show something that can be easily corrected!! In the meantime, elevating the head of your bed when you sleep can make a big difference. You can do this by elevating the actual mattress, or sleeping with a wedge pillow.

As an aside, when you developed GERD with the sleeve, did they do studies to prove GERD due to stomach acid reflux? I ask because some people with GERD actually have bile reflux, which can produce the same symptoms but has a very different treatment path. It is worth ensuring they've tested for bile reflux just to be sure they are treating the right condition.

Edited by ChunkCat

Thank u again.. well they were going to do that pill / camera thing when I had the sleeve but when I woke up they said that during the endoscopy they saw that it was acid and I was too inflamed.

the reason that I freak is because my little brother died of stomach cancer in his 30s .

my doc actually said two weeks ago after the post-surgery endoscopy that maybe these are phantom pains because this should’ve cured it 😫.

20 hours ago, BQT said:

my doc actually said two weeks ago after the post-surgery endoscopy that maybe these are phantom pains because this should’ve cured it 😫.

it usually does - but like the person above said, not always - although it's good to have it checked in case something else is going on.

I had to have a revision to bypass from sleeve because the GERD that developed from the sleeve was SO SO bad it caused me to be on 80mg of Nexium 2x per day and Pepcid 1-2x per day, plus I developed gastritis, esophagitis, and so many polyps because of the high amt of PPIs over a long period of time that it took 4 endoscopies to remove them. Since I had the revision, I haven't had a single issue since. If you're having problems even after the revision to bypass, try a low dose of PPI (Prilosec, Nexium, etc) and speak to your doctor. I haven't heard of "phantom pains" from previous GERD, but I guess it's possible. Maybe get a 2nd opinion??

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Depressed lately...
      Losing very slowly because I'm not doing anything I'm supposed to be doing. No motivation to eat properly or go to gym. Scared....
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • stanley_imarc

IMARC Group’s report titled “Alternative Sweeteners Market Report by Product Type (High Fructose Syrup, High-Intensity Sweeteners, Low-Intensity Sweeteners), Source (Natural, Synthetic), Application (Food, Beverages, and Others), and Region 2024-2032”. The global alternative sweeteners market size reached US$ 4.9 Billion in 2023. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 7.0 Billion by 2032, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 4.05% during 2024-2032.
      Grab a sample PDF of this report: https://www.imarcgroup.com/alternative-sweeteners-market/requestsample
      Factors Affecting the Growth of the Alternative Sweeteners Industry:
      Health Consciousness: The increasing awareness among individuals about the health issues linked to high sugar consumption, such as obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases, is supporting the market growth. Consumers are becoming more health-conscious and seeking products that can provide sweetness without the negative health effects associated with sugar. This shift in consumer preferences is leading to a greater demand for low-calorie and natural sweeteners like stevia, monk fruit, and erythritol. These sweeteners offer the added benefit of having minimal impact on blood glucose levels, making them suitable for diabetic and health-conscious individuals.
      Technological Advancements: Innovations in the production and formulation of alternative sweeteners are impelling the market growth. Advancements in biotechnology and food science are leading to the development of high-intensity sweeteners with improved taste profiles and functional properties. Innovations in fermentation processes enhance the production efficiency and quality of natural sweeteners like stevia and monk fruit. These technological improvements are making alternative sweeteners more appealing to both manufacturers and consumers. Enhanced stability, solubility, and sweetness intensity allow these sweeteners to be used in a wide range of products, ranging from beverages to baked goods.
      Consumer Trends and Preferences: Evolving consumer trends and preferences are playing a significant role in driving the alternative sweeteners market. The growing demand for clean-label products, which are healthier and free from artificial ingredients, is offering a favorable market outlook. Consumers are increasingly seeking natural and plant-based sweeteners, aligning with broader trends toward plant-based diets and veganism. Besides this, there is an increase in the demand for low-calorie and sugar-free alternatives that support weight management and overall wellness. Food and beverage companies are responding to these trends by innovating and expanding their product lines to include options sweetened with alternative sweeteners, thereby catering to changing tastes and health concerns of modern consumers.
      Alternative Sweeteners Market Report Segmentation:
      By Product Type:
      High Fructose Syrup High-Intensity Sweeteners Low-Intensity Sweeteners High-intensity sweeteners represent the largest segment as they require only a fraction of the quantity to achieve the desired sweetness.
      By Source:
      Natural Synthetic On the basis of the source, the market has been bifurcated into natural and synthetic.
      By Application:
      Food Beverages Others Food accounts for the largest market share due to the rising utilization of sweeteners in a wide variety of food products.  
      Regional Insights:
      North America (United States, Canada) Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Others) Europe (Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, Others) Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Others) Middle East and Africa Asia Pacific region enjoys a leading position in the alternative sweeteners market on account of changing lifestyles of individuals.    
      Global Alternative Sweeteners Market Trends:
      Governing agencies and health organizations of several countries are implementing policies to reduce sugar consumption as they recognize its detrimental health impacts. Various regulatory bodies are approving alternative sweeteners for use, ensuring their safety and efficacy. These approvals provide food and beverage manufacturers with the confidence to incorporate alternative sweeteners into their products. Additionally, initiatives like sugar taxes in several countries are pushing companies to seek healthier alternatives to traditional sugar.   
      Furthermore, advancements in production techniques are making some alternative sweeteners more cost-competitive than traditional sugar. Consumers are becoming more concerned about the environmental impact of traditional sugar production and preferring more sustainable alternative sweeteners.
      Note: If you need specific information that is not currently within the scope of the report, we will provide it to you as a part of the customization.
      About Us
      IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
      IMARC Group’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
      Contact US
      IMARC Group
      134 N 4th St. Brooklyn, NY 11249, USA
      Email: sales@imarcgroup.com
      Tel No:(D) +91 120 433 0800
      United States: +1–631–791–1145 | United Kingdom: +44–753–713–2163

· 0 replies
    • Luis E. Lara

Hi everyone, I'm nerw here ☺️
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

Welcome!

I've been a member since 2008, but just now decided to go ahead with surgery. Barely getting started 😁

• Liz R

Trying to update my ticker - I'm down 100 pounds!! 
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

I don't know how to update the ticker, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• Alisa_S

I joined BariatricPal in 2008 & I FINALLY made the descision to have WLS!! I'm so excited & not sure what I need to do to get the ball rolling, but I made an appointment with my PCP for 7/19. It's a start I guess.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches