Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyday diet post surgery.

For DS. which if I’m understanding correctly you can just have a little more fat than SAD, what carbs can you have. Like can you have fruits and veggies. Obviously not potatoes but what about zucchini or strawberries. Stuff like that. I’m thinking if I have to limit fhaf idk it sounds really hard.

My friend are you speaking to a therapist with relevant expertise? I know you are currently choosing your revision surgery and that's a huge decision. Please in the midst of that don't lose sight of your relationship with food and how you lost and regained weight in the past. We've all been there MANY times.

Feel free to ignore me if you have all of this under control. You have done so well before and I know you can do again xxx xxx

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

My friend are you speaking to a therapist with relevant expertise? I know you are currently choosing your revision surgery and that's a huge decision. Please in the midst of that don't lose sight of your relationship with food and how you lost and regained weight in the past. We've all been there MANY times.

Feel free to ignore me if you have all of this under control. You have done so well before and I know you can do again xxx xxx

I have a therapist that I speak to refularly but no she doesn’t specialize in food. Unfortunately there are not any therapists around here that specialize in food taking on new patients. I even asked the surgeons and they only know the ones they refer you to for evaluation to be cleared for surgery (who apparently want to make the quick $300 or whatever it was and move on because they don’t accept new patients). I know that it could be a huge help for me but I hate to bring it up again knowing he won’t have an answer anyways. I don’t want him to think I’m not fit for surgery if that’s my only option. I don’t have any eating disorders. I don’t binge or anything but I do eat when I’m upset. I am not sure to what degree that is normal or can be helped but I would love to try. I just can’t find anyone and I’ve asked anyone and everyone I can think of.

Basically my drs team does not hace any info on the surgery yet. I think I may be one of his first patients with this particular procedure. He is a very well know and excellent surgeon but he only offered sleeve and bypass before as far as I know. Anyways so far I have read from many different sites that you can’t have grains, probably won’t be able to tolorate dairy, can have a small amount of fat, must eat a lot of Protein of course but some people can’t tolorate Beans and keep carbs low so limit the amount of fruit and what I consider to be the edible vegetables. Basically that leaves me eating meat all the time, with maybe a little avacado and nothing else, I mean in terms of the options that I actually like, am I right? I mean at least with the sleeve I could eat eggs and beans and fruit and veggies I liked. I’m talking about even in maintenance I don’t think people who get SADI can have these things. Otherwise it causes the bathroom side effects.

im really hoping that I’m wrong. There is such a little Amount of very confusing information about this surgery out there and I do intend to ask the dr and the dietician. In fact I called and left a message for her earlier today wanting to know what she knows about this procedure and whether I should schedule with her to learn about diet in the long term? She didn’t call back yet. Do you know that there isn’t even a cookbook for this procedure yet. At least that I could find. I’m not getting this much of my anatomy altered and facing this type of risks without knowing my long term diet is going to be.

Edited by ShoppGirl

That's so frustrating. I totally get that you don't want to jeopardise your upcoming procedure. You've been 'passed' to all intents and purposes.

Could you view that process as a means to an end but view a therapist completely outside the process as just for you? Even if you had to pay a bit it might be worth it in the end. I have seen so many people here having to work on their underlying relationship with food in order to get where they want to be.

I KNOW you will know all of this already. There's a big difference between having a disordered relationship with food and having a diagnosable eating disorder I think xxx

Lots of us have become obese because of the former and lots the latter.

I hope you can get where you need to be with your surgery 💚

1 minute ago, Spinoza said:

That's so frustrating. I totally get that you don't want to jeopardise your upcoming procedure. You've been 'passed' to all intents and purposes.

Could you view that process as a means to an end but view a therapist completely outside the process as just for you? Even if you had to pay a bit it might be worth it in the end. I have seen so many people here having to work on their underlying relationship with food in order to get where they want to be.

I KNOW you will know all of this already. There's a big difference between having a disordered relationship with food and having a diagnosable eating disorder I think xxx

Lots of us have become obese because of the former and lots the latter.

I hope you can get where you need to be with your surgery 💚

I appreciate your input and you are very right. I did speak with one therapist and it’s like $300 a visit but maybe I can talk to my husband about it. At least I could go a handful of times, mayne. I edited my post to explain a lot more of my story. I’m kinda feeling like I’m on my own at this point. If I still feel this way after I meet with the dr next month I will be considering other options.

On 3/22/2024 at 3:51 PM, ShoppGirl said:

For DS. which if I’m understanding correctly you can just have a little more fat than SAD, what carbs can you have. Like can you have fruits and veggies. Obviously not potatoes but what about zucchini or strawberries. Stuff like that. I’m thinking if I have to limit fhaf idk it sounds really hard.

I'm almost 4 months post from the ds so I'm no means an expert, but I've been sensitive/intolerant to gluten for the last like 7 yrs so I can chime in about food restrictions. Having to find substitutions for food you know and love is ROUGH, more so when you're sick or recovering. I've had problems with nausea, abdominal pain, and Vitamin deficiency during my recovery so my dietician is still having me focus on Protein with a little soft cooked, non-starchy vegetables (I really miss eating fruit). I have ADHD so eating the same thing for more than like 2 meals is almost impossible.

However, there are a lot of other people who are dealing with low carb and bariatric diets so finding suggestions and recipes isn't hard. Unfortunately that also means it takes a lot of research and trial and error to find what works for you specifically. There are a lot of different alternatives for gluten free/low carb/no sugar/etc. products available online that are a bit pricey, but might also be a good option for what you want/crave too.

On 3/26/2024 at 6:31 PM, Clueless_girl said:

I'm almost 4 months post from the ds so I'm no means an expert, but I've been sensitive/intolerant to gluten for the last like 7 yrs so I can chime in about food restrictions. Having to find substitutions for food you know and love is ROUGH, more so when you're sick or recovering. I've had problems with nausea, abdominal pain, and Vitamin deficiency during my recovery so my dietician is still having me focus on Protein with a little soft cooked, non-starchy vegetables (I really miss eating fruit). I have ADHD so eating the same thing for more than like 2 meals is almost impossible.

However, there are a lot of other people who are dealing with low carb and bariatric diets so finding suggestions and recipes isn't hard. Unfortunately that also means it takes a lot of research and trial and error to find what works for you specifically. There are a lot of different alternatives for gluten free/low carb/no sugar/etc. products available online that are a bit pricey, but might also be a good option for what you want/crave too.

Thanks so much for your reply. I’m sorry to hear you are struggling a bit but glad you are tolorating at least some real foods and getting your Protein in. I am trying low carb recipes each day and have found a few that are good for me. I just have to sift through the super high fat ones that I’m guessing won’t be ideal post op. I won’t get into specifics since you are limited in what you’re eating right now. I’m kinda shocked that you are still dealing with nausea and abdominal pain at four months. I know everyone’s body is differnt but Do they act like that is common for recovery? Is the Vitamin deficiency related to the surgery?

8 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Thanks so much for your reply. I’m sorry to hear you are struggling a bit but glad you are tolorating at least some real foods and getting your Protein in. I am trying low carb recipes each day and have found a few that are good for me. I just have to sift through the super high fat ones that I’m guessing won’t be ideal post op. I won’t get into specifics since you are limited in what you’re eating right now. I’m kinda shocked that you are still dealing with nausea and abdominal pain at four months. I know everyone’s body is differnt but Do they act like that is common for recovery? Is the Vitamin deficiency related to the surgery?

I don't think I'm a common case but malabsorption of Vitamins is expected of all bariatric patients. I've been dealing with random abdominal pain for years, alongside the gluten sensitivity so now my surgeon is looking at removing my gall bladder.

But I know a few patients will have a rough recovery like mine and IV nutrition will help them tremendously. I am able to eat and the bruising I have from every lab/blood draw is taking longer and longer to disappear (making me look like I'm a drug addict 🤣), so I don't want to go that route.

Oh but feel free to talk about the recipes/issues you're having with low carb food, it's not a trigger for me and I could always use ideas to adapt!

11 minutes ago, Clueless_girl said:

I don't think I'm a common case but malabsorption of Vitamins is expected of all bariatric patients. I've been dealing with random abdominal pain for years, alongside the gluten sensitivity so now my surgeon is looking at removing my gall bladder.

But I know a few patients will have a rough recovery like mine and IV nutrition will help them tremendously. I am able to eat and the bruising I have from every lab/blood draw is taking longer and longer to disappear (making me look like I'm a drug addict 🤣), so I don't want to go that route.

Oh but feel free to talk about the recipes/issues you're having with low carb food, it's not a trigger for me and I could always use ideas to adapt!

Well you are being such a trooper I’ll tell you. I hope you get it worked out real soon.

Probably stuff you already know about the low carb if you’ve had a sensitivity to gluten. I just going to say that I learned that fajitas and Italian sausage witb peppers and onions which I like both (minus the rice of course) are relatively low carb. And cauli rice isn’t bad as long as it’s mixed in something witb flavor.

Night before last I learned that crustless quiche is super easy to make and In the muffin tin it’s perfect little portions. Last night I made a low carb Italian bake that was Italian sausage with spinach and cheeses (the recipe called for mushrooms but I substituted onions). That one I’m not sure about the fat though. It wasn’t listed but for 6 servings it has two cups of mozz cheese, a quarter cup Parmesan and 16 oz of ricotta.

I’m waiting to hear from my surgeon what my post op fat requirements will be and I need to work that out and see if it’s on plan. That recipe worked out to 373 calories but I didn’t calculate the fat before I tossed all the packages.

Tonight I had leftovers of the Italian bake that is probably too fatty and I baked instead of cooking . I made low carb banana muffins that another poster shared with me and they are pretty yummy. They use almond flour and Allulose to cut the carbs. They are surprisingly tasty.

Basically I am not really a big cook and I did not experiment with healthy dishes last time around. I Just tried to commit to eating like you have to now (meat and veggies) but for life and I couldn’t do it. I got board and I found things that were within the allowed calories while the portions were small but once I could eat more they actually added up too fast. This time I’m just trying ti find at least A handful of things that are actually tasty to me that will work when I finally get back to regular foods. Something to look forward to while I’m in the weight loss stage. And it’s kinda weird but I’m not hating the cooking as much as I used to. It’s kinda like knowing that it’s actually something good for my body makes it a little less of a chore to me.

Your information on the SADi is mostly inaccurate. I had it in 2014 and can eat a horse every day and not gain weight (caveat that you'll need to poop out a horse everyday). There is virtually nothing off limits if I am willing to put up with gas and bloating that eating in excess will cause. I lost about 152lbs over a year or so, and after an initial regain of 25 to 30lbs, I stabilized a few years out. I eat a lot of good quality foods including potatoes but also plenty of ice cream and chocolate. The ice cream, onions, and carbonated drinks all cause gas. I've probably developed some level of tolerance after eating so much of it.

The Sadi is an awesome option from my experience so I would highly recommend you seriously consider it. Also fewer Vitamins and malabsorption issues.

12 hours ago, Wellington4321 said:

Your information on the SADi is mostly inaccurate. I had it in 2014 and can eat a horse every day and not gain weight (caveat that you'll need to poop out a horse everyday). There is virtually nothing off limits if I am willing to put up with gas and bloating that eating in excess will cause. I lost about 152lbs over a year or so, and after an initial regain of 25 to 30lbs, I stabilized a few years out. I eat a lot of good quality foods including potatoes but also plenty of ice cream and chocolate. The ice cream, onions, and carbonated drinks all cause gas. I've probably developed some level of tolerance after eating so much of it.

The Sadi is an awesome option from my experience so I would highly recommend you seriously consider it. Also fewer Vitamins and malabsorption issues.

Interesting to hear the different experiences. I am supposed to speak with the dietician this evening to get hers as well. Idk if I can deal with the gas and bloating but I think trying to avoid those things should keep me on track to eat better.

On 3/29/2024 at 6:14 PM, ShoppGirl said:

Night before last I learned that crustless quiche is super easy to make and In the muffin tin it’s perfect little portions.

Ooh i LOVE quiche! I would love to see the recipe for this!

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Clueless_girl said:

Ooh i LOVE quiche! I would love to see the recipe for this!

I got it from a bariatric cookbook on kindle so I’m not sure how to link it but it’s basically just a scrambled egg with cheese and veggies and or meat mixed in that you put into a muffin tin and bake. It tastes different that scrambled egg though. If you have kindle it’s called the bite sized bariatric cookbook. If not, mix 4 eggs with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk. Then mix in 2 cups chopped boccoli and 1 cup shredded cheese bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes in greased mini muffin tins. Having done it once already I think I would pour the egg in first then add the veggies and cheese to the muffin tin so that they would be more even.

Edited by ShoppGirl