Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling to stop losing

you can always increase calories to gain weight (or to stop a loss), but keep In mind that a vast majority of us experience a 10-20 lb bounce back regain around year 3. You might want to factor that in. I purposely went below my goal just in case I had a rebound (and I did...actually closer to 30 lbs for me...).

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, LindsayT said:

Thanks, everyone!

Let me ask, how'd you handle the comments of "You're too skinny?" I get that from several people and it's infuriating. They are older and I respect them, so I don't want to give a mean comment. Oh, and the stares and jealous looks. In my mind I tell myself, "if your (talking to them in my head 🤷‍♀️) weight were that big and issue to you, then do something about it. That's all I did." An 126 lb weight loss in less than a year is massive change but the comments and looks...so isolating sometimes. Thankfully, another friend of mine has had the surgery as well, so I can talk through it with her. But what really iced my cake is she doesn't get the same stares and comments from the same group we run in. Unless, I'm reading too much into it. People who didn't know me from before look at me or comment me like a "normal" person. For example, I was at the doctor's office yesterday and we were discussing a dose change for a medication, and he said, "for people of healthy weight, such as yourself... " I just want to video it and play on repeat. Sorry, my passive aggressive fell out 😂

It's not mean to say, "while I hear what you're saying, according to my medical doctors I'm right at the weight I should be and as he/she's a physician I respect their education and diagnosis but thank you for your concern!"

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

1 minute ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

It's not mean to say, "while I hear what you're saying, according to my medical doctors I'm right at the weight I should be and as he/she's a physician I respect their educated opinion!"

My first thought was a snarkier version of that such as your concern has been noted but, I think I’ll take my medical advise from those with medical degrees. Contrary to how that may sound, though, I’m not a confrontational person so I would only ever think it in my head. I like your version as an actual solution. Seems like a very nice way to say stay in your lane.

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

My first thought was a snarkier version of that such as your concern has been noted but, I think I’ll take my medical advise from those with medical degrees. Contrary to how that may sound, though, I’m not a confrontational person so I would only ever think it in my head. I like your version as an actual solution. Seems like a very nice way to say stay in your lane.

Exactly, its "snarky" without coming across as snarky 😉 Due to my first profession I had to learn hidden snark or get in trouble! They can take it as such, but, if they repeat it to anyone...they'll come across as overly sensitive and wrong since its a direct statement. Good luck!

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

you can always increase calories to gain weight (or to stop a loss), but keep In mind that a vast majority of us experience a 10-20 lb bounce back regain around year 3. You might want to factor that in. I purposely went below my goal just in case I had a rebound (and I did...actually closer to 30 lbs for me...).

Exactly this - think of the extra loss as money in the bank unless you or your team get concerned.

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

Ha - love this!!!

On 3/21/2024 at 6:57 PM, Spinoza said:

Differences in size never cease to amaze me. I am almost exactly the same weight as you but 3 inches taller and I am a US size 8-10. No idea how that happens.

Bodyfat to muscle ratio? My concern as the weight comes off is losing too much muscle weight as opposed to fat %. A low number on a scale doesn't reflect that. But it will show in clothing sizes. Or could it be excess skin????

This discussion does pose a question for me. Everyone here who has hit goal weight and lost a ton of weight to get there. I see these people who have skin removal surgery, and they weigh it and turns out to be 30+ pounds. How does that figure in to goal weight if never removed??? Say if goal is 150 and you are left with excess skin weight, would 180 be more realistic or if you reach 150 would you be underweight if you are carrying around 30 pounds of excess skin???? Such a conundrum. 🤔

I've seen people here have plastic surgery who only lose weight in the single digits of pounds. Think any more than that might be the exception - maybe for people who started out biggest?

Just now, BabySpoons said:

Bodyfat to muscle ratio? My concern as the weight comes off is losing too much muscle weight as opposed to fat %. A low number on a scale doesn't reflect that. But it will show in clothing sizes. Or could it be excess skin????

This discussion does pose a question for me. Everyone here who has hit goal weight and lost a ton of weight to get there. I see these people who have skin removal surgery, and they weigh it and turns out to be 30+ pounds. How does that figure in to goal weight if never removed??? Say if goal is 150 and you are left with excess skin weight, would 180 be more realistic or if you reach 150 would you be underweight if you are carrying around 30 pounds of excess skin???? Such a conundrum. 🤔

Great points. I don't have a lot of extra skin, so this doesn't really apply. I'd say, if I removed all that I have 2 or 3 lbs max. At my 1 year mark, in May, they will do a body composition test; so I'll know more then as to my muscle mass. My last test in November, I was right where they wanted me and hadn't lost any muscle since my 3 months test. I definitely don't have much fat left, just a bit on my thighs. This is why I'm concerned. My goal was 140. I've gotten down to 135, and bounced back to 136-137. I was concerned because I lost 4 lbs in a week after I started upping my calories to stop losing. Maybe my body was excited for the increase and lost more fat 🤷‍♀️

Yeah.. this is exactly what I am going through. I'm 14 months post-op. Down to 136 pds. My goal was 150 but I have lost since my anniversary appt back in January. I am very active. Plus I am going to physical therapy which has me doing lots of exercises. My primary doctor has said I should be stabilized by now. But the surgical staff says that this is what my body feels it needs. I am going with that. I was worried that I was still losing. I am listening to my body now and it knows what's best. By the way, you look stunning!! Keep up the good work. And dismiss all the naysayers. I get that a lot from the same people who basically said I was too fat. Now they're saying I'm too skinny... You can't win with these folks. But you're living your life for you. And making this kind of change is a big deal. It is something to be proud of. Let those negative nancy's stay mad. All the best to you!

19 hours ago, BabySpoons said:

19 hours ago, Spinoza said:

I've seen people here have plastic surgery who only lose weight in the single digits of pounds. Think any more than that might be the exception - maybe for people who started out biggest?

i think it all depends on how much actual fat you still have left when you get plastics. even if you reach "goal weight" you may still be carrying subcutaneous fat along with the excess skin.

i've read of folks on here who have dropped 10, 20, 30 lbs after plastics, so it has been done. me, I lost a grand total of 400g (i.e., 0.88 lb), so basically nothing....BUT it made a huge difference visually, so...

On 3/22/2024 at 5:23 AM, LindsayT said:

We really didn't know each other that well then, so I don't think they would have said anything when I was overweight... In fact nobody did. I've even had people tell me that they didn't notice that I was over weight. Weird. And I guess, sure. I have friends who are overweight and I don't "see" it because I love and care for them. The problem for me, is I carry what weight I have very well and look way smaller than my weight suggests, which might spur the comments. I also dress myself in a way that makes me appear smaller, so 🤷‍♀️ I've included the most recent picture. My jeans are a 2 and my shirt is a small

20240320_125458.jpg

YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!

You look great! I've been trying to find my maintenance sweetspot as well. I'm 10lbs below my goal at the moment. I don't necessary want to be thinner- I'm loving my new wardrobe- but my body is doing what it wants to do at the moment. Not worried... like many have mentioned a rebound may happen. Good luck.

On 3/21/2024 at 9:40 AM, LindsayT said:

I have hit my goal of 140 the end of February a d went into maintenance. I have since lost 4 more lbs, down to 136. I know there will be fluctuations and I'm okay with that. But I'm still consistently losing (3lbs in last 10 days). I've upped my calorie intake and still... What's going on? I don't want to lose much more, I'm already a size 2, but I don't want to overdo it either for the sake of not losing.

I don't have anything to add except that you look great. I'm 7 weeks post-op and looking forward to see where it takes me. Thanks for sharing!

Just now, RonHall908 said:

I don't have anything to add except that you look great. I'm 7 weeks post-op and looking forward to see where it takes me. Thanks for sharing!

You got this! ☺️