Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a month out now and I am happy I dropped 18 pounds but now it seems I am on a stall already. I am still not making Protein or Fluid requirements. I never drank 100 oz. A day of Water in my life. I am so full I can’t seem to reach this 70 - 80 of protein. I am on foods well chewed now. I feel like every 21/2 hours drink then wait eat then wit drink shake. Nothing to drink a hour after you eat. There are not enough hours in the day! Ia week after my surgery I got Covid and my age it wasn’t easy. I am still out of sorts. Doc checked me and I’m ok. I need to do better. I just started walks and some bicycle. I am hoping my stamina gets better. If anyone has any tricks they do about how to manage better with foods, I would appreciate if you can share! Thanks so much!

Posted (edited)

Congrats on your loss so far. Don't worry it seems to be very common to stall a few weeks to a month after the op.

I had a sleeve so not sure if there are different 'rules' but I was told it is just 30 minutes each side of eating that you are not to drink fluids but either way I agree with you, I feel that there is not enough time in the day that I am awake to drink the amount of Water they say.

It took me a long time to get to the Protein goals, somedays I only got 20 to 30g so for me a 'trick' I have done for upping my protein is to include a scoop of collagen into my coffee twice a day as each scoop is 10g protein, the collagen is supposed to help my hair, nails, skin etc plus I am getting in some fluids. A bonus for me is that I don't mind cold coffee so if it takes me a while to drink my cup it is ok and it immediately means I have got 20g of protein in before even including food.

I also have a lot of Soups that I incorporate protein into be it with Protein Powder, lentils, chickpeas etc. as I find they don't leave me feeling so full as I blend them down a lot. I love Soup and would have had it often before my op as well so the only difference now is trying to put the protein into it and not having bread with it :)

Edited by FifiLux

Thanks so much! Great idea about collagen and I love Soups too! Thanks so much!

If you love Soups here is a recipe I found that I have made twice now recently and really like;

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-carrot-lentil-soup

I made it in the slow cooker and added 2/3 of the carrots for the whole process so they were soft and then added the other 1/3 in for the last hour or so to have a bit of bite to the Soup even after blending down. I did peel and chop the carrots, did not leave the peel on.

Also I did not use the oil or yogurt and went with more than a pinch of chili as it gives it a really nice kick.

I got 9 to 10 servings out of the recipe instead of the indicated 4 so the nutritional values according to MyFitnessPal are;

image.png.ad7f6693acea01509841e06f782892cf.png

If I need to up my Protein intake for the day I add some protein powder to the soup.

there are 17,501 posts here on Bariatric Pal about the infamous "three-week stall" (it often strikes the third week after surgery, but not always - it can be the second week - or fourth - or fifth - but in any event, it hits most of us very soon after surgery. And no, I am NOT kidding about there being 17,501 posts on it. Here they are:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/search/?q=three-week stall

best thing to do is just make sure you're following your program - and then stay off the scale for a few days. As long as you're following your program, the stall WILL break. It usually takes 1-3 weeks. And just so you know, this is likely the first of many stalls..

To be honest, early on I had lots of problems with nausea and vomiting eating normal solid foods when it was allowed for me. I stayed on liquids and soft foods maybe longer than most. But it was easier for me. I figured my tummy just needed more time to heal and really had no reason to force it just because I could have it.

So, I prioritized getting my Protein and liquids in first in the form of shakes, milk, yogurt, Soups etc. I've said it here before, that you are better off staying hydrated if eating solid foods is keeping you from that, timewise. (30-minute rule) I simply preferred that to feeling nauseous and figured I had the rest of my life to eat solid foods.

Becoming dehydrated can cause stalls and Constipation. I also have trouble drinking plain Water but found if I add Crystal Light I tend to drink more in a day., I also take a stool softener twice a day since WLS, recommended by my surgeon. Of course, like everyone else here said, periodic stalls are normal. Long term you have to question what you are doing.

Now at almost a year post op, I can pretty much eat and drink as needed. I just came off a stall and since I'm nearing goal weight, those last few pounds are coming off slower. I don't weigh myself as often so as not to get discouraged. But I'm pretty damn happy with where I am.

Try to get those liquids in... it's important. GL

Yep, stalls are a very normal & common part of weight loss. In fact they’re important. Your body shuts down to reassess your needs based on your changing weight & alters digestive hormones, metabolism, etc. The stall will break when your body is ready to move forward again. It will take the time it needs. Don’t stress it more by making more changes to your diet or activity above your plan. They can be frustrating but you really just have to ride it out.

Yes, to only waiting 30 minutes before & after eating to drink too.

Check with your team about collagen. While it does contain Protein it is not a complete protein as it doesn’t include all the necessary amino acids so usually can’t be counted towards your goal. I believe there is a collagen powder which has added the missing amino acids but I can’t recall the brand. Use unflavoured protein powder instead to add to Soups, shakes, porridge, etc.

All the best.

Posted (edited)

I too have dealt with stalls….and struggled with Water and Protein intake.
the struggle is real! And so odd right? For me it was going from eating everything in sight to sharing a plate with the hubs when we go out to eat.

one thing I did because I was so sick of Protein Shakes and bars….

I even went through a phase when I ate baby food every so often just to switch it up!
i started experimenting with unflavored flavored protein….soups, sugar free Jello, pancakes/muffins ect

tons of recipes on this site.

once you start eating regularly and getting out and about, you will feel so much better….trust the process (as they say!)

also make sure you are taking the vitamins/meds recommended by your doc

good luck 😊

Edited by funky_monkey800

Thanks so much for response. I have no choice but to go slow and easy! The docs asst. said I had to get down the two Protein Shakes a day and it’s not happening. I can do one. I am finding it a bit tough now because it seems like a high dairy diet. Of course I am lactose intolerant. Choices are limited. I weigh myself once a week. I did lose another 2 pounds. I’m not worried about the weight coming off. I know it will happen. I would love to get out more but it’s difficult with this schedule of eating. Today a bit sick to my stomach. This to shall pass.