Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you handle your birthday in regards to food post op?

Today (January 16th) is my birthday. 🥳

This year I opted out of the birthday dinner’s I’m usually taken to by friends and family. I am 40 days post op and while I am now in the “eat whatever I can phase” ofc I’m following the low carb / high Protein / no sugar diet I’m advised to follow by my bariatric nutritionist.

So for my birthday this year, I didn’t want to go to a restaurant knowing I can’t eat too much food right now + I didn’t want to be tempted by restaurant foods.

But I did want to know if anyone else had surgery close to their birthday like me and if so, did you allow yourself a birthday treat? Like a cupcake 🧁?

I haven’t had sugar (other than my Protein Shakes and yogurts) since late November so idk how it will affect my stomach either but I was thinking of just getting a little birthday cupcake 🧁 for myself tomorrow.

I’d love to hear others input or experience.

Thanks! ☺️

Hey lovely!

I am pre-surgery at the moment, due to have it on 14th May, and my birthday is on 7th June - so like 24 days after my surgery!

I have been wondering the same thing, though I will still be massively restricted in what I can eat by that time.

Typically, I feel that birthdays and other events of celebration tend to revolve around food, and that can be really triggering, so what I was thinking of doing instead is something more practical. For example, celebrating by going somewhere and doing something active or enjoyable, rather than going out to eat or staying in and just having snacky food like I usually do!

Just trying to change up the way that I Celebrate so it isn't so food-driven I guess!

But honestly, I do think that trying even a little bit of the cupcake is okay! You celebrate however you want to! The surgery isn't about restricting yourself forever from things you used to enjoy, it is about finding what works for you and still enjoying the little things in moderation.

All that being said, happy birthday!! ❤️

Happy birthday!

I had my surgery less than a week before my birthday, so I was still on liquids for my birthday. I didn't (and really couldn't) do anything food-wise for my birthday that year. What else do you normally do to Celebrate your birthday? Do your friends and family give you gifts? You can still open gifts on your birthday. Maybe instead of going out for a birthday meal, you can find another (non-food-related) activity to do with your friends and family, like a movie or show, escape room, spa day, mini golf, etc.

Something to consider with respect to a birthday treat is that you might have a bad reaction to it, so think about whether you want to risk getting sick on your birthday. Maybe instead you can find a bakery that makes sugar-free cupcakes, or a health food store that sells Protein brownies, or make yourself a sugar-free protein Mug Cake.

I just postponed my life for a few years. Now I am skinny I can enjoy everything without guilt. Now if I want a cookie or a glass of wine its ok. This Christmas I had trifle for Breakfast on Boxing day as I used too, hehe. I just had a smaller portion. It didn't bother my stomach this far out.

I saw it as an opportunity to refocus away from food, and I took my pup for an extra long walk that day 🐾

My first birthday post-op was about eight weeks after surgery. All I remember was I had about two tablespoons of ice cream as a treat, and felt guilty about it for days afterward! (it didn't make me sick, but I was bound and determined from the get-go that I was going to be 100% compliant with my plan until I got all that weight off, so I felt terrible about eating that ice cream!). The next holiday was Thanksgiving. That was about five months after surgery. I took some Light & Fit pumpkin yogurt to eat while the others were eating pumpkin pie, so no guilt! (I will admit I was a bit of a drill sergeant with myself the first year after my surgery, but again, I was 100% determined to get that weight off! I wish I still had that resolve!!)

Happy birthday!

My surgery is next month and my birthday (50th!) will be 24 days after surgery. I won't be eating any birthday treats this year as I'll barely be back on solid foods, but I'm thinking I will go for a pedicure. Actually, that makes a nice group activity if some of your friends want to do that instead of dinner, and at around $40-50, the cost is about the same as an entree, cocktail, and dessert. If you really want to splurge, you could also check around for day spas in your area. I have one near me that offers full-day package including sauna, mineral hot tub, steam room, salt room, massage, and facial.

I grew up near a lot of strawberry fields, so traditionally my birthday cake has always been fresh strawberries on top of angel food cake with a little whipped cream. By next year, I imagine that will be fine, especially if I go heavy on the strawberries (no added sugar) and small on the cake. But I think the more you go for non-food experiences to Celebrate, the better.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

My first birthday post-op was about eight weeks after surgery. All I remember was I had about two tablespoons of ice cream as a treat, and felt guilty about it for days afterward! (it didn't make me sick, but I was bound and determined from the get-go that I was going to be 100% compliant with my plan until I got all that weight off, so I felt terrible about eating that ice cream!). The next holiday was Thanksgiving. That was about five months after surgery. I took some Light & Fit pumpkin yogurt to eat while the others were eating pumpkin pie, so no guilt! (I will admit I was a bit of a drill sergeant with myself the first year after my surgery, but again, I was 100% determined to get that weight off! I wish I still had that resolve!!)

Oh yeah, I was also super strict with myself for the first year or two post-surgery. I remember my first Christmas after surgery when I baked dozens of Cookies and didn't even take a single bite. Wish I could still be that disciplined.

Last year on my birthday, I decided it would be ok to indulge in a dessert treat on my birthday, but then realized I didn't have anything indulgent in the house (but I did have a fantastic filet mignon for dinner, so I didn't feel too sorry for myself, and I bought myself a "birthday" cupcake the next weekend, anyway). To my disappointment, I don't get dumping syndrome, but if I eat something with too much sugar, I get really tired and feel like crap for the rest of the day.

Happy Birthday!!!

I was also very complainant in the early stages post op. I looked through my archived photos and I can’t find any evidence of a food related birthday (and I take pics of everything). I definitely hung out with friends and family but there was no food was around. Weird.

These were also during the times I would carry a spare Protein Shake in my bag just incase I needed one so I’m not surprised. I’m willing to bet a made an iced coffee with a Protein shake. I still generally prefer non food based events/parties/celebrations because I can always eat before or after.

I had christmas 6 weeks after my surgery and I just didn't go to the big family celebration that year. Birthday a couple of months afterwards and again I spent that with immediate family and stuck to my plan (3 months after surgery by then). 2 years post op now, I could have anything I want but honestly I find I'm happy with a small tasty meal and a glass of wine. I did try some sweet stuff this christmas but if I'm honest none of it was as fantastic as I had built it up in my head to be. A few bites of something sweet when you want it is unlikely to throw you right off plan. Beware dumping though - I have no experience and it's not as common with the sleeve but I would start with very small amounts of sweet or fatty stuff (not a whole cupcake perhaps!)

And happy birthday! You've just given yourself the best present anyone ever could have. :399_birthday:

Edited by Spinoza
typos

Happy birthday! Mine was two months after my surgery but I’m not a big birthday party person. Sure for the significant decades but others not so much. I usually just cook something I like & in the before years I’d buy I treat. In the after years, I still do the same except no treat (I’m a rarely have sweets person now). Can’t recall what I did for that first birthday. Probably just stuck to my plan - it was more important to me. Don't think you can’t go out though. It’s just a matter of making the best choices you can from the menu & stick to portion sizes. Appetisers are usually an okay size. And doggy bags work for leftovers. You can even share a dish with someone else.

As others have said, this is about learning about making better choices. It doesn’t mean you restrict yourself for ever more. Smaller portions, considering frequency of eating certain foods, using alternative ingredients or different cooking styles. Love fish & chips try grilled or steamed fish with oven baked or air fried not deep fried fries

if you do decide to try a cupcake, you may find it overly sweet & you don’t enjoy it because you’ve been avoiding sweet for a while now. Our taste buds can become super sensitive to certain flavours too like sweet (or salty) too. Of course it could be delicious. I used to make chia pudding a lot. You could try that as a birthday dessert treat. I’d add vanilla extract or paste to the milk to give a little flavour boost or a little fruit. Plus bonus of Protein.

Happy Birthday!

A little treat won't hurt, but 2 big things:

1. Don't beat yourself up over going off of the diet once. It can easily lead to a spiral where you feel bad. Remind yourself its not a big deal when its a single event, just resume at the next meal like nothing happened, and don't let it become a daily habit!

2. Expect sugar cravings and being "hangry" for a day or two after having a sweet treat after weeks of having none. I felt ravenous after having treats over the holidays, and couldn't figure out why. I wanted to eat more than I knew I could physically handle. Our bodies are engineered to make the most of carbs because up until a hundred years or so ago, they were rare for humans to come across. Nowadays, sugar and starch are in everything, and our bodies haven't adapted to that change in food availability yet. That instinct will kick in and make you want to eat "all the carbs". The following 2-3 days, resist it and remember to stick to higher Protein and savory foods until it passes.

On 1/16/2024 at 1:30 AM, RosessXO said:

Today (January 16th) is my birthday. 🥳

This year I opted out of the birthday dinner’s I’m usually taken to by friends and family. I am 40 days post op and while I am now in the “eat whatever I can phase” ofc I’m following the low carb / high Protein / no sugar diet I’m advised to follow by my bariatric nutritionist.

So for my birthday this year, I didn’t want to go to a restaurant knowing I can’t eat too much food right now + I didn’t want to be tempted by restaurant foods.

But I did want to know if anyone else had surgery close to their birthday like me and if so, did you allow yourself a birthday treat? Like a cupcake 🧁?

I haven’t had sugar (other than my Protein Shakes and yogurts) since late November so idk how it will affect my stomach either but I was thinking of just getting a little birthday cupcake 🧁 for myself tomorrow.

I’d love to hear others input or experience.

Thanks! ☺️

I COMPLETELY forgot to respond. :( SO firstly I want to say tysm for all that responded. I did end up having 1 small slice of strawberry shortcake (my fave) and 1 slice pizza. That was IT! And I got right back on track the next day. Funny thing is, I was at a stall for 2 weeks not losing anything and then eating that actually kicked up my weight loss which I lost 4 lbs that week! Funny how that happened.

I hope everyone is doing amazing. :)

I

On 1/16/2024 at 7:24 AM, NickelChip said:

Happy birthday!

My surgery is next month and my birthday (50th!) will be 24 days after surgery. I won't be eating any birthday treats this year as I'll barely be back on solid foods, but I'm thinking I will go for a pedicure. Actually, that makes a nice group activity if some of your friends want to do that instead of dinner, and at around $40-50, the cost is about the same as an entree, cocktail, and dessert. If you really want to splurge, you could also check around for day spas in your area. I have one near me that offers full-day package including sauna, mineral hot tub, steam room, salt room, massage, and facial.

I grew up near a lot of strawberry fields, so traditionally my birthday cake has always been fresh strawberries on top of angel food cake with a little whipped cream. By next year, I imagine that will be fine, especially if I go heavy on the strawberries (no added sugar) and small on the cake. But I think the more you go for non-food experiences to Celebrate, the better.

Fresh strawberries! yumm! I have eaten a couple off my kiddos plate and the fragrance and taste of all fruits have heightened since surgery. Very enjoyable!