Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a 6 week follow up with my surgeons bariatric team.. I was asked how things were going and how I felt I was doing.. I went in with some many questions and concerns in hope of making myself feel better and not feel so overwhelmed.. I left my appointment feeling like I have not done anything right. I was told that I am not eating enough Protein and that I was not drinking enough liquid. I don't know how much more I can do. All day I feel like I am either drinking my Water, eating something or waiting the 30 minutes between so I am not sick. I knew this would be hard and it would take some time to get used to my new life/ routine but todays appointment makes me wonder if I made a mistake of getting the surgery.. I got back in 2 months. I hope it is a better appointment

thank you for letting vent...

That must have been frustrating! I don't like being told I'm doing poorly when I know I'm doing everything I can, either. Do you know how much Fluid and Protein you've been getting, and how far off it is from their goals for you?

So sorry you have this to deal with. Post surgery regret is a thing. I never made my goals either. My team were a little more relaxed though. They just told me to do my best and eventually I got there. I had a lot of nausea and vomiting to begin with.

It does seem like a never ending chore just re learning to eat and drink again. One day you just find you can do better. Then you begin to fly along. We all got there eventually, you will too.

It sounds like you're doing fine. Congrats on your weight loss victories!!!

Part of the reason they leaned in heavy on it was because they want you to succeed, but also to a degree, they're covering their own liability and don't want to be sued for not giving you the proper advice. I would try to increase both the best you can, but don't beat yourself up if you come up shy one day. Look for more protein-dense foods and shakes to make up the difference if you can. I like the Fairlife Protein Shakes that have either 30g or 42g, depending on which is available. One of those can be half your Protein content for a day, plus its 11-12oz of fluids!

Too little protein can cause your body to run a deficit, in which it will burn off muscle rather than fat, which is not a good thing. The more muscle you can maintain, the more fat calories your body will burn to feed them, which helps with the weight loss. The increased Water intake is to keep you hydrated, but it also helps you flush out the waste from what your body is breaking down during your weight loss, preventing it from backing up in your kidneys and leading to problems.

But keep up the good work! Sounds like you're getting through the "regret" phase, which I'm convinced we all go through that first month or so haha. It looks like my surgery was a week before yours, and I'm already feeling much better. Hope you are too!

On 1/12/2024 at 10:17 PM, NickelChip said:

That must have been frustrating! I don't like being told I'm doing poorly when I know I'm doing everything I can, either. Do you know how much Fluid and Protein you've been getting, and how far off it is from their goals for you?

I am getting 65-80 Protein a day and 60oz of Water a day.. I was cleared to use a straw to help with water.. I guess I need to meal plan more to get my protein in..

On 1/13/2024 at 9:23 PM, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

How much Protein and liquids are you getting in?

I am getting 65-80 Protein a day and 60oz of Water a day..

4 hours ago, brandycsiz said:

I am getting 65-80 Protein a day and 60oz of Water a day.. I was cleared to use a straw to help with water.. I guess I need to meal plan more to get my Protein in..

Interesting. That's right within the daily protein I've been told, and only 4oz short on the Fluid. I'm not sure why they would want to make you feel you weren't doing well. It sounds like you're doing just fine.

How much Protein are they expecting you to get in? As far as I know, 60-80 grams is a typical goal for a bypass patient, with 80 grams being the excellent mark. And I agree, that is only 4 oz short of 64 oz, nothing to get bent out of shape over. Is more better? Yes, to a point, but my PA told me that to be getting 64oz of Water in by 3 months is better than most patients are able to do... So it is odd they are riding you about it. You are doing great!! Most people cannot get their full requirement of protein in at 3 months, let alone at 6 weeks post op!! Give yourself some credit and ignore the complaints from them. I think it is generally good to follow our team's advice, but when they are making you feel bad for being within range of your goals (or very close to it) at 6 weeks post op, I think it is okay to set it aside and really appreciate for yourself how good you are doing... But that's just me, your mileage may vary. LOL