Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2024 Surgery Buddies?

Hi all, the sun is finally out and I've made my 10k step goal today for the first time since Monday at least!

Thanks again for everyones support - it does help!

@gracesmommy2 I have thought about SAD, but normally I'm okay in all weather, I even prefer summer holidays in the north with raincoats and wool socks and fires! I reckon I'm probably a bit anemic and low on Vitamin D... and that plus the exhaustion, the being cold and the being away from home is just a bit much. I hate lugging luggage around and so tend to travel light and where as when I'm home and it's cold I just wrap out and bundle myself under covers with a hot Water bottle... but when I'm travelling it's hard esp as I've mucked up on my packing for the last few trips and not packed enough warm clothes. I do have a sort of lightbox thing at home that I usually use to deal with jetlag but I've been lucky enough since my operation to only be doing short hall... I do go to Canada and the US next month though so will get my lightbox out of whatever cupboard it's hiding in when I next make it home.

I'm also aware that I'm loosing fast, which I think is pretty normal as I wasn't overweight for that long ( my BMI got above 25 for the first time in my life only in 2020)...

I'm on Thursday I'll be 3 months since surgery and as of today I've lost 19.75kg (43.4lbs or 3st1lbs) since my surgery so over 21% or my body weight in under 3 months ... I know that this must be doing a number on my mental state too.

I was 91.1kg on the day of surgery and am now 71.35kg - however I also lost 5kg in the 2 weeks before surgery, my surgeon didn't need me to do a preop diet but just to be safe I still pretty much did a broth fast for the two weeks prior.

So all in all in 15 weeks I've lost over 25kg ... and I know thats why I'm so exhausted! However I'm also happy because my team wanted me to have lost 20% total body weight at 3 months and I've exceeded that with a week to go ...

I know things will get better... but I would love some proper warmth and light for more than a couple of days!

@LisaCaryl I've always shed a lot of hair but haven't noticed things getting worse yet ... but I guess I'll just ride it though when it does happen!

On the bright side I have to loose only another 2.2lbs to have a BMI under 25 again ... I know BMI is a crap tool ( and honestly find it a tad unfair because I reckon I have at least a couple of extra lbs of boob!) but I'm still very much looking forward to no longer being officially overweight!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend and that all those far enough north got to see the boreal lights.

1 hour ago, BlueParis said:

@BlueParis

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend and that all those far enough north got to see the boreal lights.

I live in Oklahoma. I seen the lights clear last night. I've never seen that before except in pictures.

On 5/10/2024 at 2:16 PM, gracesmommy2 said:

oh and did you like the roasted edamame 😊?

I added it to my Subscribe and Save, so I won't get it for a few more days, but I can't wait to try them!

In the meantime, I have a new obsession: whipped cottage cheese ranch dip!

You take regular cottage cheese and put it in your food processor or blender and blend until it's super creamy, like a thick sour cream or almost a cream cheese. Add ranch seasoning powder (or probably any favorite dip seasoning) and eat with raw veg. I've made the dip with Greek yogurt before, but I like this even better. It doesn't have that yogurt taste so it feels more like "real" dip. I love that it has 14g Protein when made with 1/2 c cottage cheese, compared to only 2g in a comparable amount of hummus. It also takes a long time to chew all the veg, so it makes a great snack in the evening, especially if you like something when watching TV.

14 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

I added it to my Subscribe and Save, so I won't get it for a few more days, but I can't wait to try them!

You take regular cottage cheese and put it in your food processor or blender and blend until it's super creamy, like a thick sour cream or almost a cream cheese. Add ranch seasoning powder (or probably any favorite dip seasoning) and eat with raw veg. I've made the dip with Greek yogurt before, but I like this even better. It doesn't have that yogurt taste so it feels more like "real" dip. I love that it has 14g Protein when made with 1/2 c cottage cheese, compared to only 2g in a comparable amount of hummus. It also takes a long time to chew all the veg, so it makes a great snack in the evening, especially if you like something when watching TV.

I've been making dip like that, too. I've used the Lipton Soup mixes... onion and veggie are the ones I've tried. It's good! I hope you like the Edamame. I got some of the Sea Salt flavor and do like it a lot.

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

I'll have to give this a try as well. When I have a sweet potato I usually get some Greek yogurt add some pepper and ranch seasoning. Never thought about blending cottage cheese.

Edited by RonHall908

1 hour ago, NickelChip said:

Ohhhhh, totally gonna try this. I’ve made it with Greek yogurt but going to try this version. And with French onion Soup mix also like @LisaCaryl. Yummy! If you guys like chip like things, if you take hormel turkey pepperoni and microwave them for like 1 to 1 1/2 min the microwave they get crunchy like chips and are salty. I eat a serving of them with tzatziki (cedars brand in only like 35 cal per serving) or now will try the cottage cheese dip. Gives you a salty chips and dip like snack and if you do the turkey pepperoni (I’ve used both turkey and regular and they taste the same once you microwave them) it’s only 70calories and 9 gm of Protein for 17 “chips” . then you could still do some veg for healthier food but get another bump of protein in. 😉

Oh wow, French onion dip is my downfall. That sounds so delicious.

I had some big reusable parfait cups in my cupboard with two sections to them, where you could do your yogurt and berries in the big section and then keep your granola or nuts in the other to keep them crisp until the last minute. I used 4 of these to portion out the blended container of cottage cheese dip into 4 servings with about 8oz of carrots, cucumbers, mushrooms, red peppers, and tomatoes. Turns out that for an evening snack, I actually can only eat half. Which is fine. That gives me a week's worth of veg already prepped. Once the ranch dip is used up, I'm doing French onion! And I'm going to try those pepperoni chips. I also want to make some kale chips. Those are so tasty. I need an air fryer. I think I want to replace my toaster oven with one that has the air fryer built in, but I keep waffling on which brand to get.

1 hour ago, gracesmommy2 said:

Ohhhhh, totally gonna try this. I’ve made it with Greek yogurt but going to try this version. And with French onion Soup mix also like @LisaCaryl. Yummy! If you guys like chip like things, if you take hormel turkey pepperoni and microwave them for like 1 to 1 1/2 min the microwave they get crunchy like chips and are salty. I eat a serving of them with tzatziki (cedars brand in only like 35 cal per serving) or now will try the cottage cheese dip. Gives you a salty chips and dip like snack and if you do the turkey pepperoni (I’ve used both turkey and regular and they taste the same once you microwave them) it’s only 70calories and 9 gm of Protein for 17 “chips” . then you could still do some veg for healthier food but get another bump of Protein in. 😉

I eat the turkey pepperoni as a snack while at work. Never thought to microwave them into crispy chips.
Also, speaking of the Cedars brand. Have you seen the Dark chocolate Hummus dip they have? I slice some banana's or strawberries and use it as a chocolate dip. I also sprinkle some Monk Fruit sweetener on it.

On 5/11/2024 at 11:48 PM, RonHall908 said:

Also, speaking of the Cedars brand. Have you seen the Dark chocolate Hummus dip they have? I slice some banana's or strawberries and use it as a chocolate dip. I also sprinkle some Monk Fruit sweetener on it.

No, I haven’t seen it! I’ll try that. I have a huge sweet tooth. Ty!

@NickelChip love my air fryer, I use it for everything! You should definitely get one once you figure out which one you want .

@NickelChip I resisted getting an airfryer for ages ( in quite a snobby french food way I must admit) but now I have one I wouldn't live without it ! Go for it!

If not it's still raining and cold in Athens ...

Ok I need everyone’s coping strategies for dealing with being so cold the whole time.

It’s 16 C ( 60 F) this morning in athens. I’ve « burnt » through all the warm clothes I bought with me so will have to drop laundry to be done today. Because I have a whole week left here.

Yesterday a collègue touched my hand as I was passing him some papers and audibly gasped at how cold I was and asked if I was okay and then gave me his jacket to put over my knees during the meeting so I know it’s not all in my head.

I have the heating on and a hot water bottle for night but I just can’t warm up.

Im pretty sure I must be very anemic right now and will check that with blood tests when I get back home.

I know I sound like a broken record but I’m just really really struggling with being so freezing the whole time. It’s miserable. My hands are so cold I’m having issues typing for work …

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, BlueParis said:

Ok I need everyone’s coping strategies for dealing with being so cold the whole time.

It’s 16 C ( 60 F) this morning in athens. I’ve « burnt » through all the warm clothes I bought with me so will have to drop laundry to be done today. Because I have a whole week left here.

Yesterday a collègue touched my hand as I was passing him some papers and audibly gasped at how cold I was and asked if I was okay and then gave me his jacket to put over my knees during the meeting so I know it’s not all in my head.

I have the heating on and a hot water bottle for night but I just can’t warm up.

Im pretty sure I must be very anemic right now and will check that with blood tests when I get back home.

I know I sound like a broken record but I’m just really really struggling with being so freezing the whole time. It’s miserable. My hands are so cold I’m having issues typing for work …

I would be of no help here. Even as a little kid, I would get into trouble for going outside in the snow without a jacket, because I would get hot from moving around with having one on.
If someone sleeps next to me when I'm asleep I'll go into heater mode and get so hot sometimes I sweat. I need to have a fan on to sleep or I'll get too hot. I would say if it weren't for your whole body being cold and just your hands. That maybe you have circulation issues in your hands. But that doesn't sound like the case. You mentioned you will be coming to the States and Canada later for work. There's a lot of hunting gear that has battery operated heaters in jackets, gloves,socks and I do believe some pants. The colors wouldn't be appealing, but you would be able to keep warm. Sorry you are having this issue. I hope it gets better.

Edited by RonHall908

3 hours ago, BlueParis said:

I‘m so sorry you’re struggling with the cold. I’m afraid I’m one that also goes out in the winter with no coat, but mine is due to adrenal insufficiency. I’m always running hot which is a curse in itself. As RonHall said they do have the heated jackets etc here that a battery goes in the pocket. I bought one for my husband a few years ago and he loves it. They do come in black so you wouldn’t be stuck in camo or bright orange and I believe some of the women’s jackets are even fitted so it might be an option for you to stay comfortable. I bought one on Amazon. I hope you get some sunshine and warmer weather soon. Here in Kansas we’ve had several days of clouds and rain. I don’t suffer from being cold but it sure doesn’t motivate me to do much.

Have you tried layering your clothes, get good thermal undergarments to wear under your clothes and always try and make sure that your shirt tucked in at back to stop cold seeping in, probably not as easy in business attire…..you can also get some of those fingerless gloves that will keep your fingers free for typing . I often carry those hot pocket things that you can get in camping stores that can warm up your hands too.

im a cold freak and have always felt the cold so probably only going to get worse for me

7 hours ago, BlueParis said:

It’s 16 C ( 60 F) this morning in athens. I’ve « burnt » through all the warm clothes I bought with me so will have to drop laundry to be done today. Because I have a whole week left .

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. It does not sound fun at all. I would definitely check with the doctor when you get back. If you’re anemic, then they can help with that by giving you Iron. Have you been taking your blood pressure? I know when mine got very low. I was just feeling all out of sorts.

when I get super cold like that, have to run my hands under very warm Water, especially my wrists that often helps get rid of the chill that’s in my bones. Doesn’t seem to matter how much I bundle up sometimes that chill is just so deep. Also wearing gloves and a hat, keeping hands and the head warm.