Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else feeling down about 2024???

I have no idea why I feel this way. I'm finally down to 1 more surgery (my hysterectomy) and then I'm totally done with hospitals. I'm healing well from my hernia surgery (even did a VERY light workout today for the first time in a month since I'm only 3 1/2 weeks out). I love my job, I'm feeling good, our rent is paid and we have plenty of food, car is running well, gas tank is full, finally stable again. Hubby and I get along great, kids and granddaughter are doing well. It's driving me nuts that I can't figure out why I feel down. Normally I'm excited about the new year. I don't get SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), and I was fine up until about 2 days ago. I don't suffer from depression, so it's just really bugging me. What in the world do I have to be down about???

It sounds like you’ve been through a lot and now your body is catching up to it. I kind of feel the same as you, because the holidays are over and I’m looking for something to anticipate. I’m telling myself it’s ok to chill out. No one can be 100%, 100% of the time. (Side note, if it lasts for 6 weeks or longer seek professional help.)

Oh yes, the letdown or after effect of all the craziness. All the fear and anxiety about the surgery, the relief of getting back to normal and feeling more normal again, can feel like depression, or just wading through quicksand, teary and easily emotional. You have been on a such a roller coaster for a while now and it's just stopped and returned to the station. You are likely just letting down your guard because everything is okay and now the emotions that stayed under the surface are coming up. Honor your body for the journey it has taken and survived, honor your self for being so resilient and steadfast, pamper yourself and do all the little things that feel cherishing like extra sleep, foot baths with spa treatment, comfy clothes and cheerful movies, music that makes you feel good, books that make you think. Anything that feels good, and just give it time and know that it will ease once you've felt the feelings and let them go.

If it lasts more than 2 weeks or gets worse, or severe, please contact your team and let them know, they will likely have resources for you, in fact, no reason to wait if your team has a psychologist you feel comfortable with, go ahead and talk to them. It would likely be very helpful.

Take care.

I agree. You’ve been through a lot & coupled with the quiet time post Christmas & New Year’s, it’s understandable that you might be feeling low. New Year was pretty fiat this year for many of my friends & acquaintances. Not interested in celebrating, happier at home, in bed early, etc. Even my street was very quiet & there are lots of young people in the apts across the road who are always partying. Were you the same?

Maybe make a coffee date with a friend, an appointment with a beautician, get a mani/pedi, go to the movies, etc, to have something to do & look forward too. I’m looking forward to seeing my beautician on Thursday & my nieces & nephew may be visiting on Friday. (Even though my house will be a mess after they leave. 😁)

I agree too that if it persists to speak with your doctor or team.

I agree with everything the others have said. You have had so much to deal with. Book a holiday, it works wonders.

You have been through so much. Give yourself a break! You are amazing in my eyes! 340 down to 185! Wow! Keep your chin up! Sometimes I think we just get into a funk for really no reason at all! I like you am blessed and still get into a funk sometimes. It doesnt last!

4 hours ago, NCL04321 said:

You have been through so much. Give yourself a break! You are amazing in my eyes! 340 down to 185! Wow! Keep your chin up! Sometimes I think we just get into a funk for really no reason at all! I like you am blessed and still get into a funk sometimes. It doesnt last!

I'm actually 388 down to 228 lol And thank you for your kind words :)

i always feel a little anti-climactic after the holidays. so much go-go-go for weeks to basically flat-lining on the couch in a blink.

be nice to urslef, and try not to succumb to the pressure to be "on" nor the guilt of being not.

❤️

On 1/2/2024 at 7:18 PM, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I'm actually 388 down to 228 lol And thank you for your kind words :)

Sorry, i read your post wrong! Even more impressive!