Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

only 4 weeks out and been on solid foods for 3 weeks

I had a bypass on 11-6. I eat solid foods. It does not hurt. I can eat 2 whole cucumbers. I can eat a 4oz piece of tuna.

Am I just doomed? I should hurt right? probably eat 500-600 calories a day. only eating fish, chicken, and cucumbers. I crave them ALLDAY. so I'm not concerned that I'm not eating health. But why can I eat so much. Oh, I can eat 2 large scrambled eggs.

I had surgery on November 1st and no way able to eat what you describe. First 3 weeks was still liquids, broth, Jello, Water, tea and Protein Shakes. Now I have been given the window to do scrambled eggs, mashed veggies and soft canned fish/chicken as of last Thursday. I am lucky if I can consume 2 tbs of food in each sitting. SO, I have stuck with the hospital schedule and doing every 15-30 minutes, 2-3 tbs of food. Then sipping water all day long or tea. Again, unsure how your able to do so, so quickly. But each body is different.

I have lost 25 pounds. I guess that's why it scares me. I should not be able to do this.

It's not really a matter whether it hurts or not but that it is quite dangerous to eat solids too early on because your sutures have not healed until about the 6 week point. It can cause serious damage either now or in the future. I would speak to your surgeon about this.

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It's not really a matter whether it hurts or not but that it is quite dangerous to eat solids too early on because your sutures have not healed until about the 6 week point. It can cause serious damage either now or in the future. I would speak to your surgeon about this.

Exactly. You posted what I was thinking.

I wish I could start eating some type of solids even if it's eggs or Peanut Butter. Why can't we eat bread? ?

think bread is a sugar at the end of the day. Then after surgery, it my get stuck.

Yes, as @Tomo said it takes 6 (or longer) to fully heal. Besides all the sutures & staples holding your digestive system together, many nerves were cut during your surgery & your signals/messages, like you are full, any discomfort you may be experiencing & your restriction, just aren’t getting through. It’s why sticking to your portion size recommendations during these early stages are especially important. Check with your team if you weren’t given any. For example I was told 1/4 - 1/3 cup from purée (week 3) slowly increasing to about a cup at 6 months. But that was what I was told.

Starting solid foods after a week seems incredibly early especially without the puree & soft food stages. Plans can be different but yours is the most different I’ve come across. Do check with your team just to be sure.

Follow your surgeons plan & don’t push it! You need to heal!

Being on solid foods for 3 weeks tracks relatively closely to what my plan will be. My hospital only does a 2 day pre-op liquid diet, and then you are on liquid/soft dairy (yogurt, pudding) for about 10 days. They generally do the surgeries on a Monday and you go to a class the following Thursday, although I will have mine on a Wednesday, and I think I will still go to the Thursday class, so it's only just over a week for me. After the class, we're advanced to stage 4 for about 4 weeks, which includes soft/moist meats like chicken thigh, fish, and eggs, along with soft cooked veg and fruits.

The only thing that doesn't match up with my plan is the cucumbers because raw veg isn't allowed until stage 5, which is at roughly 6 weeks post-op. But frankly, cucumber is almost all Water once you chew it, so the volume is minimal despite looking large. My program doesn't bother with purees. We're just told to chew thoroughly. As others have said, you may not feel full this early because of nerves not being fully healed, so just watch your portions. If you've lost 25lbs in 4 weeks, I hardly would call that doomed! I would double check with your nutritionist about portions, make sure you chew thoroughly, and keep making healthy food choices like you're doing. You may just not have as much swelling as some do, which would explain the ability to eat closer to a normal post-surgery capacity right away. Just because you can eat a couple of eggs doesn't mean you'll soon be able to eat a 24oz steak and sides!

Edited by NickelChip

Holy crap. Ok, so a few things. First, just because you CAN eat these foods, doesn't mean you SHOULD. You're not even close to healed. You still have numbness from nerves being cut. You could be doing damage you can't even feel yet. There's a reason we're supposed to increase our eating in stages.

Second, the amount you eat is more of a head thing than a physical thing. You cannot fit the same amount of food into your new stomach that you used to, and you shouldn't be trying to. Your pouch is only so big, and you have to remember that and start working on your head hunger and your relationship with food.

Third, talk to your nutritionist about how you're eating and how to get back on track with your Bariatric Eating plan, because if you aren't compliant now, you'll never be able to be later on. In no way should you have been eating actual, solid foods 1 week after surgery. So before you do damage that has to be surgically fixed, reach out to a bariatric therapist to help you with your relationship with food and learning the difference between real hunger and head hunger, and your nutritionist to figure out how to map out an actual way to get on track and a realistic meal plan. You might also want to talk to a nurse practitioner about what possible damage you might have done and if there's a way to kind of fix it before it gets to a surgical level.

Edited by SleeveToBypass2023