Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Buddies!

On 1/1/2024 at 12:23 PM, Felicia1288 said:

Hi all how are my 12/27 and 12/28 buddies doing? Had my surgery 12/28. Doing well. Pain is here and there. But down to 198 as of this morning. Highest weight before liquids was 217 🎉. Small wins!!

I had my surgery on 12/27 and I'm doing great. Working on getting my Water and Protein in, it was a struggle the first couple of days but is improving. Except for the gas pain post surgery I haven't had that much discomfort except for when I sleep on my side, which is normal. The day after surgery I was up 7 lb, I believe due to swelling and the IVs, but that has disappeared and I am losing. Like you say small wins!

I hope that all my December surgery buddies are doing well and wish you all a wonderful New Year!

I am now 1 month post op. Down 37 lbs. (20 since day of surgery) I feel amazing!! Once I stopped taking my blood thinners, I noticed a lot more energy. My joints don't bother me anymore... my hands, wrists, ankles and feet are no longer swollen. My clothes are becoming loose, and I can't stress enough how happy I am that I finally went for it and had the VSG surgery.

I've noticed everyone's doctor has a different approach on the steps following surgery. I was instructed to stay on a liquid diet 3 weeks post op. Now I'm finally allowed to eat, but ONLY 4 things - eggs, string cheese, cottage cheese & avocados for the next 3 weeks. After that he said I can start to introduce meat and other foods into my diet but to ALWAYS prioritize Protein over anything. I can barely finish 1 egg without feeling uncomfortable... so it'll be interesting in the coming months.

The holidays were hard since my family is full of foodies, so the spreads they created for family gatherings were mouthwatering. I just kept reminding myself that I'm finally headed in the direction, and I don't want to fall back into old habits, so I ask myself, "Do I want this, or do I need this? Will it nourish me or just satisfy a craving?" Changing a relationship with food isn't easy, especially when it's something we HAVE to consume to stay alive and well. To anyone struggling, know you got this!! It might be hard today, but it won't always be that way. You might have a day where you feel you failed yourself. Don't dwell on it just work to be better moving forward. It's a learning curve, you're only human.

11 minutes ago, Sergeant said:

I am now 1 month post op. Down 37 lbs. (20 since day of surgery) I feel amazing!! Once I stopped taking my blood thinners, I noticed a lot more energy. My joints don't bother me anymore... my hands, wrists, ankles and feet are no longer swollen. My clothes are becoming loose, and I can't stress enough how happy I am that I finally went for it and had the VSG surgery.

I've noticed everyone's doctor has a different approach on the steps following surgery. I was instructed to stay on a liquid diet 3 weeks post op. Now I'm finally allowed to eat, but ONLY 4 things - eggs, string cheese, cottage cheese & avocados for the next 3 weeks. After that he said I can start to introduce meat and other foods into my diet but to ALWAYS prioritize Protein over anything. I can barely finish 1 egg without feeling uncomfortable... so it'll be interesting in the coming months.

The holidays were hard since my family is full of foodies, so the spreads they created for family gatherings were mouthwatering. I just kept reminding myself that I'm finally headed in the direction, and I don't want to fall back into old habits, so I ask myself, "Do I want this, or do I need this? Will it nourish me or just satisfy a craving?" Changing a relationship with food isn't easy, especially when it's something we HAVE to consume to stay alive and well. To anyone struggling, know you got this!! It might be hard today, but it won't always be that way. You might have a day where you feel you failed yourself. Don't dwell on it just work to be better moving forward. It's a learning curve, you're only human.

Thank you for your post.. a breath of fresh air!

I'm also 1 month post op and feeling pretty amazing. Like you no more pain in my back, my knees don't hurt and I don't walk down stairs like a toddler. I'm 28lb down and was really concerned at the start that I wasn't losing enough weight. But everyones body is different and this is my journey, so I'm trying not to compare against others and just follow the guidance of my dietitian. I got annoyed with myself yesterday cause I ate a choc biscuit 🍪. I'm still on puréed food and don't even know why I ate it but I'm not going to beat myself up about it just try not to do it again. I want this to work for so many reasons so I just need to focus on those x. Well done on your 37lbs!!

On 12/26/2023 at 1:47 PM, MLC3409 said:

I hope I’m not doomed!!!

I ate more than I should have Christmas Day. Got on the scale and it says 2.6 pounds up.

What have I done!! I have been working so hard the last two weeks to get it right!!

Surgery is tomorrow and I don’t want to hear it isn’t happening anymore.

I mostly over ate on meat. However I did have the carbs (in moderation)
I didn’t set myself up better for success and now I am mad at myself.

Good luck for tomorrow x

Posted (edited)

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op and I'm feeling alright, but with a LOT of sleep. I'm up for 2 or 3 hours and down for 4 or 5 hours. I'm doing okay on my protein/hydration, but I just can't seem to get going.

I plan on going back to work on Monday, but I don't know that I'm going to have enough in the tank for an 8-hour day. Any ideas?

*edit - did my 2 week check in yesterday, down 33 pounds post op.*

Edited by Corben22

Wow I’m 3 weeks out and got entirely exhausted today after a shower , and 2 loads of laundry ( wash dry and fold) I didn’t even put it all away. Then ended up taking a 3 1/2 hour nap

You know I was coming on to say the same thing. You are further out than me I’m on day 10 but I was hit with the same thing yesterday. I just all of a sudden didn’t want to get out of be in the morning but made myself. Ran a couple of errands and was ok until about 6pm then bamm I was exhausted and couldn’t keep my eyes open. I ended up going to bed. Hence the reason I’m up at 1:30 in the morning reading and typing this lol 😂

from others I have talked to in another support group, they are recently had surgery, they are feeling the same way. Some say it goes away after a couple of months. I sure home so.

I am 3 weeks and 3 days post op and do also experience the same tiredness and fatigue. Couldn't even grt going for work yesterday and had to reschedule 2 meetings to go back to sleep. My nurse and Dietician said this process and the lack of nutrients during the healing stages will make you extremely tired/weak to the same effect covid does. She was right, very much so. I've now had both. But I am feeling much better aside from that. I lost 22lbs on the 2 week preop diet and have lost 34lbs since surgery December 13th. Had my follow up and down 56lbs since November 29th. One day at a time. Process is more important than the goal. We can all get to our goal but I believe the process comes first.

Hi sorry I’m new here I had my surgery December 19 so it’s been like 2 weeks and 3 days so the first 7 days i lost 17 pounds but right now I’m loosing weight very slow like a pound each day its that normal or mybe I’m doing something wrong right now I lost 27 pounds total 2 weeks and 3 days

Reading a lot about tiredness and fatigue, is anyone feeling the other way at night? I’m struggling to sleep! I feel tired but ever since the op I have not got to sleep easily, have tried walking further in the day, reading etc but doesn’t seem to help!! (I’m 3 weeks post op on Tuesday)

Feeling really positive otherwise though, the weight is coming down and the pureed stage doesn’t seem to be bothering me so much!! Just need to keep up with Protein Water to ensure I’m getting enough in, as only manage a few mouthfuls of the pureed food! Xx

I have been in other support groups and people say that a slow or even a stall is normal in the first couple months because your body is adjusting. When you start eating healthy foods and more intake your body will start burning again. The weight will start again. The slower weight loss is actually better for your recover is my understanding.

I am 10 days out and down 15 pounds. I’m not in any hurry and as long as I’m still losing I will just follow my plan and keep going.

keep us posted!

Figured I'd join in! Had DS surgery on 12/18. Pre-surgery weight (about 1-week before) was 415, currently down to 375. Had to spend 4 nights in the hospital due to some complications (had very LOW blood pressure for a couple days due to kidney's not working properly) but improved each day. Felt very little pain (unless coughing/sneezing). Glad to be a part of the community here. Currently in pureed food stage, looking forward to the soft food stage in another week!

On 1/6/2024 at 2:12 AM, Oscar88 said:

Hi sorry I’m new here I had my surgery December 19 so it’s been like 2 weeks and 3 days so the first 7 days i lost 17 pounds but right now I’m loosing weight very slow like a pound each day its that normal or mybe I’m doing something wrong right now I lost 27 pounds total 2 weeks and 3 days

Sounds like you are doing fine! I had my surgery on 12/18 and I lost a lot the week before and the week after surgery (due to liquid diet, etc.) After surgery I felt bloated and still had quite a bit of swelling which has now subsided. I'm down about 25lbs since surgery date, a lot was also in the first week due to the fluids/swelling post-op. It has slowed a bit for me too, though 7 lbs a week is still VERY good! Hang in there!

Decided to have surgery because my normal glucose went from low 80s up to mid 200s and a few low 300s. Tried metformin for a couple years didn't help then Ozempic which messed up my gallbladder and pancreas.

Had my surgery on Dec 27 (198lb/245gl), was released from hospital on Dec 29. Went back into hospital on Jan 1. My intestine got twisted then caused blockage and my stomach was not closing of stomach acid and it was free flowing for 3 days at home. The must painful experience ever. Released from hospital on 7th. Basically started was like my first day out of hospital from surgery. Had my 2 week post-op yesterday 9th moved to soft foods and can do light strength training... Super excited. (184lb/83gl)

Hey there! I had my surgery on the 27th too. I have my 2week post op on the 11th(tomorrow) and hopefully move on to puréed stage. Tonight was the first night I feel kinda off. I didn’t get all my fluids today. I threw up and not sure if it was blood or the red koolaid mix. Also had bloody bowel movement but that is a common issue due to hemorrhoids.
so I am going to wait until tomorrow. I have a fear of the staple line leaking.
what was the issue that put you back in the hospital? Did they have to do anymore surgery?

3 hours ago, MLC3409 said:

Hey there! I had my surgery on the 27th too. I have my 2week post op on the 11th(tomorrow) and hopefully move on to puréed stage. Tonight was the first night I feel kinda off. I didn’t get all my fluids today. I threw up and not sure if it was blood or the red koolaid mix. Also had bloody bowel movement but that is a common issue due to hemorrhoids.
so I am going to wait until tomorrow. I have a fear of the staple line leaking.
what was the issue that put you back in the hospital? Did they have to do anymore surgery?

My intestine twisted which caused a blockage. Luckily enough no they didn't have to do surgery I just had to wait until it worked itself out by itself.