Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months in…

I had my VSG back on 3/3/23, with a heavy weight of 195. (Im 5’2”). Surgery day, I weighed in at 184 after a two week liver shrinking diet- two shakes a day/one meal. Yesterday I had my 6 month check up, an things are going really well. Weighed in at 129- and BMI in healthy range. Hair loss has been significant, but hoping that turns around soon… fingers crossed. Since I had my surgery in Mexico, this was my first meeting with Bariatrician and he says that im having really nice success- and that 8-10 months is about how long someone would expect to see results from VSG. (I’d heard longer). He also took labs, and all seems to be in good range- saw the results this morning. First two pics from today, last pic is before (I hated having picture made and can’t find one really near that time except this one. My goal this next few months is to take up a more structured exercise routine to build some muscle— so much of the pain I was having pre-surgery is gone. So glad to have taken this step for my health!

IMG_5362.png

IMG_5358.jpeg

IMG_2656.jpeg

Edited by Sigh
Spelling

Wow! You look fantastic, and as distressing as I know the Hair loss must be, you can't tell at all from the photo. What an amazing transformation. Congratulations!

You are GLOWING with happiness in the after pictures !!!! Isn't it great to have all the labs come back near perfect ? It's proof positive that you made the right decision for yourself :) Celebrate yourself !!!!!!

Awesome! You look great!

Thank you— I feel great! ( and the glow is strategically placed highlighter— I actually started wearing a little make up now…)

Thanks for your kind words about the hair loss- I can assure you it is all smoke and mirrors—- wearing it wild helps distract the loss of volume, for sure. It will grow out, but I may be going for the big chop if I dont see it slow anytime soon. But, Ive been slowing letting the grey come in, so that will just help move that process along— so there is a silver lining (ha, pun intended) I guess.

Biggest thing for me— My joints dont ache, my arms dont fall asleep at night, my plantar fasciitis finally healed—my back hurts less, i dont grind my teeth at night, etc, etc. I am no longer pre-diabetic and can breathe again! Wins all around.

Legit question though— how does one face the fear of sliding/going back to unhealthy weight? I plan to make this a full time lifestyle adjustment- not just another yo-yo as in the past. Im really afraid this could be temporary— so working with therapist/team to make sure i keep up these good new habits— but tell me Im not alone in feeling nervous about it- and how to handle the (eventual) moving to “maintenance” stage… tips and advice appreciated.

Congratulations. You look fantastic.

The Hair loss usually lasts about 3 months +/- so you are likely nearing the end of it. Yay! I cut mine to just above my shoulders so a year or so later it was back to what it as in regard to thickness.

Our starting stats are very much the same - I’m just an inch taller & weighed 5lbs more. I reached my goal at 6 months - BMI of 23 too. (And it seems we had our surgeries at about the sane age - 53??) Yes, I lost more than my goal but it was what my body wanted - my new set point. I’m 4 years out & pretty much maintained my weight (apart from a med glitch which caused a 2kg gain of which I’ve lost half of that so am about 1kg heavier than my initial stabilised weight).

To maintain, I really just kept up with most of the eating habits I established while losing. My portions are larger now of course but are what are considered recommended portion sizes of what I eat. Lowish carbs (about 2 serves of whole/multi grains), lowish fat, low sugar (avoid a lot of it & sweeteners too), predominately low processed foods, average 60g Protein & average 2L fluids. I eat about 1500 calories a day which is about right for some one my age, height, weight & activity level according to BMR calculators. I don’t consider this a diet, this is just how & what I eat which changed how I look at my eating. I’m not punishing myself or restricting what I eat with a diet.

I don’t exercise as such but started to use resistance bands & do stretches about 10 months ago I think - 4 short sessions each day 5 or 6 times a week. I didn’t want muscles as such just definition in my arms & legs which I am achieving quite nicely. Also wanted to keep flexible & to support my back & oozing discs. Am jealous your back pain is gone. Unfortunately, weight loss hasn’t improved my back issues 😩.

Huge congratulations, your photos are amazing. I love to hear success stories and especially of better health because of the surgery.

I am 22 months post sleeve surgery and the fear of regain is real - I think I'll always have it and I think I need to have it. I have a lifelong bad track record and this is my one shot at countering that.

I haven't yet relaxed into my new way of eating - I still track absolutely everything, so far that's working well so I expect I'll always do it. It's a small price to pay for a completely new life. I wish you all the best - you've done brilliantly.

Wow, what great success, you look fantastic! And I'm sure having all that pain gone is a huge relief. I think everyone worries about regain. The sad fact is there is a level of vigilance that it seems will always be there because obesity is such a sneaky disease. But I've noticed those a few years out seem to be more at ease with the process and while watchful, are not quite as anxious about it as time goes on and they maintain for longer. Still, I think some anxiety about it will always be there...