Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They cancelled my 8/15 surgery, after I expressed my concerns!

So I posted on Saturday about how I was having second thoughts, not about having weight loss surgery, but about whether I was in good hands with my current provider, after they have literally cancelled and rescheduled every single appointment, including my surgery date, which I've ever had with them. Several of you replied validating my concerns, which I so appreciate. Speaking up about my concerns caused my surgery to be cancelled! Can you even believe it?!?! I'm calming down now but I literally had a full blown panic attack at work. I was hysterically sobbing. I'm on a liquid diet, have been off my anti inflammatory meds for 6 days, cancelled my vacation I'd planned since last November after they rescheduled my surgery from July, and now this? I would never have seen this coming, even after all the prior chaos.

After expressing concerns about things up to this point I was told, among other things, that I am "rehashing" the past and that because of this they do not feel I will comply with post op care, because these same scheduling issues will probably continue to occur post op to. So since I expressed these concerns, despite this being my entire point that I wanted to be sure I was in good hands post op so that I could get the proper post op care, they have determined that I won't comply with post op care? I am attaching my reply back to them from the patient portal.

The nurse did say she MAY be able to meet with the team and get my surgery date reinstated however. What a day! What a joke!

2.JPG

My gut says you have dodged a bullet. This is awful treatment and I would not feel safe letting those people have my care in their hands. You should have had your concerns validated and calmly discussed by a patient coordinator over the phone, not suddenly have your procedure cancelled simply because you voiced concerns. My worry here is if you were to go through with things with them, what happens if you have a complication, heaven forbid?? Will they treat you as a malingering patient instead of taking you seriously? That could go very badly, very quickly.

I know this delay is devastating. I am so sorry you are experiencing this. My heart hurts for you! I would seek out another practice. You already meet all the pre-reqs. The process shouldn't take as long the second time and you deserve to be in good hands that will respect your time and your trust in them as a patient. This behavior from them is inexcusable.

ETA: As an out of area patient they should have been taking that into consideration the whole time and should have been working hard to keep your schedule steady. This is NOT a big ask of an office doing this sort of care and is something the patient coordinator should have been advocating for you. Surgery practices are accustomed to needing to do this. Some will even schedule multiple appointments for you in a day and work with each other to ensure you get all your boxes ticked with minimal travel. I really want you to know that your expectations are not out of the norm, their behavior however IS.

Edited by ChunkCat

Oh, I'm beyond heart broken, I literally cannot stop crying. I work in a hospital and my panic attack was so bad after being told my surgery was cancelled that I had several nurses, plus a physician all ask me if I was ok or if they could drive me somewhere/take me to the ER.

I even got reprimanded by the nurse over the phone for not following instructions, when I asked if I was correct in being on an under 500 calorie diet, with my three 160 calorie Protein Shakes adding up to 480 calories/day. She refused to let me even speak. When I asked if I could speak for 30 seconds she said no.

The instructions I was emailed says "3-5 Protein shakes per day depending on the amount of protein per shake." I am using the Premier Protein, which has 30g protein, so since I was told I needed 80g/day I was drinking 3 shakes per day.

She lectured me on not following instructions until she looked back in her email that she sent me and realized I was correct. Apparently it was suppose to be 6 shakes per day! This was also part of what got me cancelled, when I asked if I was correct that I should be under 500 calories/day.

IMG_4324.PNG

The term nurse infers care. The nurse is not a nurse she is a bully.

This is beyond disgusting behaviour. I googled the new surgeon and they do check out. But his current support team should also be sacked. Support being the operative word. There is no support and they are gaslighting you for their own sad performance. Even if they are able to find you another date I would hate to think what follow up care you would be provided with. Please Please put this down to experience now and find a better provider/team. You deserve so much better. Saying that you would not comply to do the necessary things post op is a sickening joke.

Run do not walk to another team that can support you. You need to be looked after not treated with disdain and blame for this very serious and life changing surgery. Maybe your general doctor can suggest another provider? This team need to be reported for their lack of professionalism.

Dry those tears hunny bun. You are loved. 🤗💖

Edited by Possum220

I really sympathize with your situation. You deserve the best service and support. This is disappointing and frustrating. You have already done much work, and they can’t rudely violate plans. This is no good, and there should be responsibility for it. I believe you have the right to claim compensation for the inconvenience and damage caused to you.

In a little while you will realise that you have had a very lucky escape. They have treated you so very badly. Please name and shame them. You have every right.

You are crying and so upset because you are grieving the loss of this surgery. You wanted it so much, you feel as if your heart is broken. I would have been the same. Go and see your own doctor and get a new surgeon asap.

Thank you all for your mind words, and yes, I did dodge a bullet - it just took me a few days to see it. Tuesday the nurse called me and told me she was keeping me off the schedule as a final decision. I was so despondent. I kept logging into my patient portal, where I could still see my procedure scheduled, and hoping perhaps this was some last bluff on their part. But it's definitely been cancelled.

I couldn't go to work yesterday as I was sobbing most of the day. I went into see my primary care doctor, thinking the visit was to get some help for my anxiety, but she encouraged me to not let this crazy experience deter me.

I have a consult with another sugeon on 8/23. I will NOT give up hope! Thank you all. I now know this is a blessing in the end!

People at these places tend to forget they are providing you a service and taking your money for it, you deserve to be treated with kindness and respect! It sounds like the nurse at that practice has a God complex and way too much power over the patients there... Abusers will abuse no matter what job they find themselves in.

Yes, don't give up hope!! I'm so glad you went to see your GP. I hope the new practice treats you much better. Please keep us posted, we are cheering you on! ❤️

Thank you so much ChunkCat! That means a lot, and yes, the pep talk my doctor gave me made me realize I won't let this stop me from moving forward to the future healthier self I have started to envision! My insurance auth is good through January so I'm hoping I can be fast tracked for a new surgery date since I've already got authorization. My primary care doctor seems to think so, it's jut a matter of finding the right surgeon now.

So sorry, that this is how you've been treated. I am completely shocked at even having to read such a thing! I mean who does that!?! Seriously appalling! You btw, have done nothing wrong and your concerns were and still are validated. As many have stated you dodged a bad situation, I believe that too! Better things are to come honey...so calmly breath.

Was this self-paid?? You really did dodge a bullet there! Imagine the (non-existent) after care, and lack of compasion during the whole process...

If it was self-paid, I'm sure you can find better, just a matter of ""shopping"" around for the best fit. I'm self-paid. I had an appointment with the (at the time) #1 surgeon and did not feel a connection or geniune care despite all the good reviews and credentials. When I expressed my doubts (voiced in the fact that I felt anxious and would prefer postponing), I was told I would need to provide a psych evaluation if I ever changed my mind. Okaaayyyy.... If me being anxious over making a life changing decision is a problem for you, then I guess we are not meant to be! Now, 5 years later, I am finally ready and found the (now) #1 surgeon to do it. This one I felt comfortable with right away (on the phone) and will meet in person this week. Good luck!

Yeah, that sounds unacceptable. They are running it completely like a business with no regards for their customers (who are putting their lives in the "company's" hands). I had cancelled my surgery date twice with the same doctor (first time I had a stroke and had to cancel, second time a year later I cancelled because my company told me they were about to start offering insurance for WLS). They were super helpful with everything, and when I expressed concern about a surgery date that was too close to a series of summer vacations I had, they scheduled the surgery 8 days after they got insurance approval (which I know was very out of the ordinary for them). That made me feel like they cared about me and my personal issues instead of just seeing me as another paycheck. You need to find a doctor and staff that will treat you right, because if you ever lose a little motivation, they will be the ones to get you back on track. And if you don't ever want to see them again (because they are buttheads), that could hamper your long term success I think.

Hello, I am sorry your surgery got cancelled, however if you don't trust your medical care team you need to find a different one. I am sure they are other places where you can go. You need to feel care for, that will cause confidence and less stress on you, at the other hand they have the right to give your spot to someone that believe in them regardless of whatever. As the person in the table I will not want a care team doing anything to me when they know I don't trust them, they will look at me in a negative way before I even arrive, I will be in so much stress that some of my organs my go in distress that might cause complications. Just imagine you have a store and you know a customer that doesn't like you will be there, that will mess up your day, before, during and after the person leave, even if you are not helping, it will be tension in the air that might or might no spread to coworkers, the patient would be the customer that expressed concern, that came many times and the store was closed, or the items she asked were there but they were given to someone else, etc, lots of valid reasons for her annoyance but still she continue to go there. I will say that they r NOT a match, they need to part ways. It is for the best Find a different surgeon and care team. I wish you the BEST, rest your mind, let it go and find someplace else. Changing subject you lost 82 lbs! you might not even need the surgery, you only need to lose 42 lbs, you lost 41 lbs twice. I lost 35 lbs with Weight Watchers, eating whatever I wanted.

On 8/10/2023 at 7:45 PM, SnowyWinter said:

I have a consult with another sugeon on 8/23. I will NOT give up hope! Thank you all. I now know this is a blessing in the end!

How did your consult with a new surgeon go? where you able to get a new surgery date?

On 08/07/2023 at 20:38, SnowyWinter said:

So I posted on Saturday about how I was having second thoughts, not about having weight loss surgery, but about whether I was in good hands with my current provider, after they have literally cancelled and rescheduled every single appointment, including my surgery date, which I've ever had with them. Several of you replied validating my concerns, which I so appreciate. Speaking up about my concerns caused my surgery to be cancelled! Can you even believe it?!?! I'm calming down now but I literally had a full blown panic attack at work. I was hysterically sobbing. I'm on a liquid diet, have been off my anti inflammatory meds for 6 days, cancelled my vacation I'd planned since last November after they rescheduled my surgery from July, and now this? I would never have seen this coming, even after all the prior chaos.

After expressing concerns about things up to this point I was told, among other things, that I am "rehashing" the past and that because of this they do not feel I will comply with post op care, because these same scheduling issues will probably continue to occur post op to. So since I expressed these concerns, despite this being my entire point that I wanted to be sure I was in good hands post op so that I could get the proper post op care, they have determined that I won't comply with post op care? I am attaching my reply back to them from the patient portal.

The nurse did say she MAY be able to meet with the team and get my surgery date reinstated however. What a day! What a joke!

2.JPG

You need to be an advocate for yourself. If something felt off then your gut (pun totally intended) is telling you it’s not right.

I would definitely work on getting any test test results that you have had done and find someone else. I am not sure what stat you’re in but I am sure there must be someone else to go to.

Heck I live in Atlanta area and we have a bariatric surgeon every three blocks.

You did the right thing and if they get defensive about it then that tells me they are the problem. I understand things happen sometimes but you need to be able to follow up.

My Dr had a pre op appointment with me but he was called into surgery (he does other surgery too not just WLS) and instead of cancelling our appointment he called me and we talked on the phone while he was on the way to the hospital (It wasn’t an issue because it was mostly to go over test results and the next steps) it showed me that he was there for me if I need him.

Just make sure you document everything you have done so far so you don’t have to start from square one.