Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's wrong with me?

I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm so discouraged. I am on my 3rd fill and have not lost a pound in 2 months (since about 2 weeks after surgery). I eat so much less and better foods (most of the time) but I am still not losing. I get full a lot faster but I do still get hungry a few hours later (to the point of feeling sick if I don't eat). I wake up in the morning and my stomach is growling and cramping like I haven't eaten for days.

I don't know what the deal is but I am so frustrated. I feel like this is going to be another failed weight loss attempt. And they are no help at the aftercare center. They just say "don't get frustrated, you are just getting started" but I see people on here who had surgery the same time as me or after and they have lost 35-50+ pounds and I'm not even at 25 yet. I have been trying to count points (weight watchers) to see just how much I am taking in but I am still very hungry most of the day when I only eat my allotted number of points. I am drinking plenty of Water and getting in my Protein. I see people who can just drink a Protein shake for Breakfast and be fine and I tried that the other day and I wound up eating a banana 2 hours later and was still starving and sick feeling by lunch. Any suggestions or is anyone else having this problem?

Another question. How does it feel when you are really tight? I feel like after a fill that I am tight for a few days but then it goes away. But, it's not really a feeling of being full from food. It's more a feeling of pressure/tightness in my chest and lower throat area. Is this what good restriction feels like or do you actually feel full like when you ate before getting banded? Thanks.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Mandi,

what about NSVs? any of those?

please dont get discouraged. what are you eating? are you logging? exercising? you can do this!!

the people who have lost more, did they start out needing to lose more weight? i started off at 402 so the weight came off pretty quickly in the beginning...

NSVs-Off diabetes medication, blood pressure and heart rate under better control, more energy, asthma/lung wheezing is gone.....yes, when I look at it that way, I have had a lot of NSVs but I just thought I would have lost more weight by now.

I'm not exercising. I know I should be but I hate it so much. My husband is supposed to try to adjust the belt on our treadmill. Right now it slips a lot when I'm walking on it and I am afraid I will fall. I'm wondering if I weigh too much to be on it but I think the weight limit is 275 and I weigh about 264.

Mandi there is a really nice lady at the after care center named Marilyn that has always been super helpfull to me with any questions i have. You may want to try speaking with her if you havn't already. My only sensation of fullness also is only ever in my throat or in my chest. I have the VG size 11 band and its filled to 9.6. Im still in search of that majic spot of restrictivness.

Mandi

I started out at 330lbs. Mine came off rather quickly at first, but it has really slowed down in the last few weeks.

I just had my 3rd fill today. After my 2nd fill, I felt restriction for about a week and then it was gone. For me, it feels like a tightness in my chest. My doc said that is normally how it feels for most people.

Most of my weight loss was right after surgery. I lost 15lbs the first week (I was on clear liquids), 10lbs the 2nd week (full liquids), 10 lbs the 3rd week (still full liquids), and 16lbs since starting mushies. I really haven't lost very much since starting solids.

Hang in there, you can do this. Hope things get better for you soon.

((HUGS))

Thanks Kel. I actually just talked with her a little bit ago and she emailed me some info sheets. Hopefully the information will help me.

NSVs-Off diabetes medication, blood pressure and heart rate under better control, more energy, asthma/lung wheezing is gone.....yes, when I look at it that way, I have had a lot of NSVs but I just thought I would have lost more weight by now.

I'm not exercising. I know I should be but I hate it so much. My husband is supposed to try to adjust the belt on our treadmill. Right now it slips a lot when I'm walking on it and I am afraid I will fall. I'm wondering if I weigh too much to be on it but I think the weight limit is 275 and I weigh about 264.

That's a lot of NSV's. Everyone loses at different rates. If you can start excercising, that will make a big difference. I really have to force myself to do it because I hate it as well. Good luck to you.

I've got a few suggestions you can take or leave....but they totally work for me.

1. Get in the habit of weighing yourself every day at the same time, in the buff (like right when you get up) and log it on a computer program online (FitDay, SparkPeople, etc.). This is not so much to see the pounds melt off as it is to correlate the numbers with the foods you are ingesting and see how one affects the other.

2. On FitDay or SparkPeople or whatever, log every single food you put into your mouth, online, every day. I mean it. This makes a HUGE difference...and something WW has always touted and I always poo-poo'd. I am here to tell you they are right, 100%. It makes you hypersensitive to what goes in your mouth. You should probably be ingesting in the neighborhood of 800-1100 calories a day, depending on your height, etc.

3. If you are finding youself feeling poorly, sounds like your blood sugar is swinging. Try Protein Drinks (not shakes, but drinks) such as Isopure clea Protein drinks (40 mg and 160 cal). These are the kind of things you copuld sip on through the day. Or you may want to start eating like a hypoglycemic (6 small meals a day to maintain your blood surgar levels through the day).

If you really want my opinion you need another fill. You shouldn't be as hungry as you are. That is where I would start. Also, try counting calories instead of Weight Watchers. You should stick to 800-1k a day. Good luck.

No one has addressed what restriction feels like. it sounds to me like you are not having restriction. I know that for the first SEVERAL fills, I didn't either. Now, when I eat what I "think" is the right amount, I feel full. If you are not feeling full after a fist size portion... you are not full.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm so discouraged. I am on my 3rd fill and have not lost a pound in 2 months (since about 2 weeks after surgery). I eat so much less and better foods (most of the time) but I am still not losing. I get full a lot faster but I do still get hungry a few hours later (to the point of feeling sick if I don't eat). I wake up in the morning and my stomach is growling and cramping like I haven't eaten for days.

I don't know what the deal is but I am so frustrated. I feel like this is going to be another failed weight loss attempt. And they are no help at the aftercare center. They just say "don't get frustrated, you are just getting started" but I see people on here who had surgery the same time as me or after and they have lost 35-50+ pounds and I'm not even at 25 yet. I have been trying to count points (weight watchers) to see just how much I am taking in but I am still very hungry most of the day when I only eat my allotted number of points. I am drinking plenty of Water and getting in my Protein. I see people who can just drink a Protein shake for Breakfast and be fine and I tried that the other day and I wound up eating a banana 2 hours later and was still starving and sick feeling by lunch. Any suggestions or is anyone else having this problem?

Another question. How does it feel when you are really tight? I feel like after a fill that I am tight for a few days but then it goes away. But, it's not really a feeling of being full from food. It's more a feeling of pressure/tightness in my chest and lower throat area. Is this what good restriction feels like or do you actually feel full like when you ate before getting banded? Thanks.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I didn't feel any restriction with my 1st or 2nd fill. I lost some weight but only by pure willpower. Then, my willpower started running out, and I only lost 3 1/2 pounds in two months. I got my 3rd fill a week ago and it's been a huge difference. I feel satisfied on a small meal, and I don't even think about snacking between meals. I lost 8 pounds since my fill a week ago.

Don't feel discouraged, try to hang in there until you get to your "sweet spot". It is surprising, just when you think you'll never get there, you get a small fill and "Bam" it's instant restriction. Good Luck.

Mandi im glad Marilyn was able to assist you. Have you ever attended one of the group meetings they hold at the after care center?

Yup... I finally have 'good restriction', it's undeniable, and no 'Is this what restriction feels like?'.. I have to fight to eat more than 1k calories a day.