Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I’m Emily, new here, so pardon me if this question has been answered more than once, or not in the right category. I swear I’ve looked all over for answers prior to asking.

I have my first appt. With the surgeon Monday to begin the 6 month pre op program. I vape, well, stopped yesterday and I’m using Patches and gum to wean off before end of July. I was doing well mentally until I learned that quitting almost always causes weight gain. Minimum of 5-10 pounds.

I was told by a friend that I cannot gain any weight during the 6 month process but don’t have to lose a certain amount ( she went to the same surgeon I’m seeing) I am also learning how to eat better on top of all of this, and I’m so scared that when I quit nicotine all together, it’s going to inevitably cause weight gain. I don’t want to be kicked out of the program as soon as I start because of this. Would it be better to wait until I absolutely have to quit? Maybe that’s a stupid question.

I just need encouraging words, anybody that has been down this path of quitting, whether you instead waited to quit a month or two before surgery, etc. I am so serious about taking my health back, and it’s hard enough to learn to cool and eat right without having to stress about this too.

please help 🥺 thank you in advance!

ps. Maybe this is trivial, maybe it’s not a big a deal as I’m making it, but even a fraction of a pound I gain could get me kicked out of the program.

Edited by Eyoung222

Hi, So I am a former smoker/vaper I quit about two months before I decided to enter the program. My insurance would not cover any part of the program if I was still using nicotine. I can tell you that starting up exercise really helped me with not smoking/vaping, like, it helped me a lot and I did not gain any extra weight, in fact I lost weight. I quit cold turkey, but that was because I wanted to get past the nicotine withdrawal as fast as I could.

I do not know the program you are on but I would ask the Doctor to clarify about weight gain during your 6-month period and not go by what your friend said, even though they had the same Doctor. Your journey and your friend's journey will probably be similar having the same Doctor and all, but they won't be exactly the same. So, just give them a call or send a message if you have that option on your portal, which should help ease your mind. Hopefully this help.

Edited by New To This23

As an ex smoker, I can tell you that giving up smoking is not the cause of weight gain. Smoking takes up a lot of time in the day and you have to fill this time with a healthier habit. You have every reason to want to stay on the right path. Its going to be tough for a few weeks but it will be worth it

I don't know how high your nicotine % use was but I started vaping at 12mg and over time reduced down to 3mg. I quit vaping nicotine, 2 months prior to surgery by mixing my juice at 0mg.

I never gained any weight in those 2 months, and I was tested a week before surgery for levels. Main reason being tobacco hinders healing and can cause ulcers. I was honest with the doctors from the start and none seemed to have a problem with my plan since I ended up cutting out all nicotine use in the end.

Good luck with the weight loss and quitting the nicotine!

I did the same thing as @BabySpoons - but a few years before surgery. I switched from cigs to vapes and weaned myself down to the 0% juice. Smoked that for awhile, then put it down completely.

You can do this. You can do hard things! :)

On 6/9/2023 at 4:41 AM, New To This23 said:

Hi, So I am a former smoker/vaper I quit about two months before I decided to enter the program. My insurance would not cover any part of the program if I was still using nicotine. I can tell you that starting up exercise really helped me with not smoking/vaping, like, it helped me a lot and I did not gain any extra weight, in fact I lost weight. I quit cold turkey, but that was because I wanted to get past the nicotine withdrawal as fast as I could.

I do not know the program you are on but I would ask the Doctor to clarify about weight gain during your 6-month period and not go by what your friend said, even though they had the same Doctor. Your journey and your friend's journey will probably be similar having the same Doctor and all, but they won't be exactly the same. So, just give them a call or send a message if you have that option on your portal, which should help ease your mind. Hopefully this help.

Thank you so much! You are absolutely correct! I went in for consult yesterday and my surgeon told me it doesn’t necessarily matter if I gain or lose during my program. I am just wondering why it’s different for everyone, even if they have the same or similar insurance. But it relieved my fears. He said I have to quit vaping about 6 weeks prior if I remember correctly. Thank you for the kind and encouraging words 😊

On 6/9/2023 at 12:09 PM, BabySpoons said:

I don't know how high your nicotine % use was but I started vaping at 12mg and over time reduced down to 3mg. I quit vaping nicotine, 2 months prior to surgery by mixing my juice at 0mg.

I never gained any weight in those 2 months, and I was tested a week before surgery for levels. Main reason being tobacco hinders healing and can cause ulcers. I was honest with the doctors from the start and none seemed to have a problem with my plan since I ended up cutting out all nicotine use in the end.

Good luck with the weight loss and quitting the nicotine!

Thank you for responding! I think that’s what I’m going to do is, wean myself down. I’ve already gone down 20mg so I wilL work myself down as things begin nearing the end 😊 thank you again!

About the whole quitting vaping deal, it's a tough road, but you're not alone. Your friend's experience is hers, yours will be different. What matters is your commitment, and you've got that in spades!

Edited by abitruchriste

About the whole quitting vaping deal, it's a tough road, but you're not alone. Your friend's experience is hers, yours will be different. What matters is your commitment, and you've got that in spades!

I'd say, chat with your surgeon about a quitting plan that feels right for you. And about the potential weight gain, girl, we all worry. Maybe focus on the awesome changes you're making with your eating habits. Small wins count!

Oh, and by the way, ever heard of Bulk Buy Vapes? Word on the street is they've got top-notch stuff!

Edited by abitruchriste

I don't believe that Vaping will somehow influence your health before and after surgeon. In your case scenario you should better speak with a doctor.

Posted (edited)

On 6/8/2023 at 2:32 PM, Eyoung222 said:

Hi! I’m Emily, new here, so pardon me if this question has been answered more than once, or not in the right category. I swear I’ve looked all over for answers prior to asking.

I have my first appt. With the surgeon Monday to begin the 6 month pre op program. I vape, well, stopped yesterday and I’m using Patches and gum to wean off before end of July. I was doing well mentally until I learned that quitting almost always causes weight gain. Minimum of 5-10 pounds.

I was told by a friend that I cannot gain any weight during the 6 month process but don’t have to lose a certain amount ( she went to the same surgeon I’m seeing) I am also learning how to eat better on top of all of this, and I’m so scared that when I quit nicotine all together, it’s going to inevitably cause weight gain. I don’t want to be kicked out of the program as soon as I start because of this. Would it be better to wait until I absolutely have to quit? Maybe that’s a stupid question.

I just need encouraging words, anybody that has been down this path of quitting, whether you instead waited to quit a month or two before surgery, etc. I am so serious about taking my health back, and it’s hard enough to learn to cool and eat right without having to stress about this too.

please help 🥺 thank you in advance!

ps. Maybe this is trivial, maybe it’s not a big a deal as I’m making it, but even a fraction of a pound I gain could get me kicked out of the program.

Shhhhhhh but someone mentioned on another post about the quitting smokng weight gain..do what you have to do even if it means cough cough putting extra weight in your pockets, bra where ever it won't show for your weigh in to offset your quitting weight gain...This way, you only show a loss. Not that I'm saying cheat the system, but they want you to quit knowing it might put weight on and can eliminate your surgery chances. This way no stressing and you can concentrate on eating healthy and getting healthy!

Either the above or exercise a lot , eat very low cal and drink Lots of Water and hope it works! Good luck.

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

28 minutes ago, PorkChopExpress said:

I don't believe that Vaping will somehow influence your health before and after surgeon.

I read that Gastric Bypass patients can no longer use nicotine because of possible risk of stomach ulcers but that Sleeve patients didn't run the same risks. I never really understood this. But I stopped because I didn't want to risk my surgery getting canceled.

Can you expound on this???

It's completely normal to have concerns before starting a pre-op program. Firstly, congratulations on taking steps to improve your health! Quitting vaping is a significant achievement, and worrying about weight gain is understandable. Remember, everyone's journey is unique. Personally, for me, it was hard to quit vaping. I quit because I was slowly decreasing the amount of nicotine I was using. The last smoking devices I was using were purchased from this website and were disposable vapes with a low percentage of nicotine because I had a terrible nicotine addiction. So, focus on the positive changes you're making for your health. Trust the process and stay committed to your goals. Consider seeking support from your healthcare team for guidance and reassurance. Remember, you're not alone in this journey. Stay strong and stay focused on your goals. You've got this!