Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apple cider vinegar

Hi all, I had my op in feb. I have lost about 24kg so far. I was wondering if anyine can advise me on when I ahould start taking apple cider vinegar as my stomach is becoming apron belly. Can someone also advise when I should start going to they gym for weight lifting to improve on my flabby skin or does anyone have advice on best way to get rid of flabby skin apart from op

First of all, congrats on your success so far! That's GREAT!

However, Apple Cider Vinegar will have no impact to how or where you lose weight, the elasticity of your skin, or make any other material impacts to your loss or body. It might be helpful for digestion or other things, but it truly will not add anything to your weight loss efforts.

As for weight lifting, most surgeons have a recommended waiting period before working out again, so you need to check with your doctors. Weight lifting WILL help in myriad ways and it CAN help reduce saggy skin by filling it with muscle, but it won't change the skin itself.

The reality is, lose skin is a byproduct of major weight loss. It will happen. The extent of it will vary widely from person to person for a million different reasons. There is very little with any scientific support to be done about it, and most of the recmondtations you might get will be anecdotal at best. Hit your Protein, drink your Water, lift weights, and be patient. Whatever lose skin you may have will NEVER be more detrimental than not having changed your life.

Apple cider vinegar could aggravate any acid reflux you may have in addition to being ineffective for what you're trying to accomplish. Most of what affects "saggy" skin is going to be time, you age and your genetics.

Honestly, the saggy skin can be a point of pride. You accomplished something big and you have the battle scars to prove it.

3 hours ago, Sleeve_Me_Alone said:

First of all, congrats on your success so far! That's GREAT!

However, Apple Cider Vinegar will have no impact to how or where you lose weight, the elasticity of your skin, or make any other material impacts to your loss or body. It might be helpful for digestion or other things, but it truly will not add anything to your weight loss efforts.

As for weight lifting, most surgeons have a recommended waiting period before working out again, so you need to check with your doctors. Weight lifting WILL help in myriad ways and it CAN help reduce saggy skin by filling it with muscle, but it won't change the skin itself.

The reality is, lose skin is a byproduct of major weight loss. It will happen. The extent of it will vary widely from person to person for a million different reasons. There is very little with any scientific support to be done about it, and most of the recmondtations you might get will be anecdotal at best. Hit your Protein, drink your Water, lift weights, and be patient. Whatever lose skin you may have will NEVER be more detrimental than not having changed your life.

So after how long should i start doimg weights. My aftercare is absolutely rubbish. Please advise

It's best to get clearance from your doctor. That said.. my program suggests starting weight training 6 weeks out. 2xs a week and advance from there. No maxing out or pushing to muscle failure. Lift enough to feel a burn but stop if you feel any sharp pain, experience chest pressure, nausea or extreme shortness of breath.

I haven't started weights yet myself but have been cleared to. I had hernia repair same time as RNY. So I'm pacing myself. I am easing into exercise with walking on my treadmill or outside, weather permitting. Also just started using my exercise bike today. 6 miles. I do cardio 5x a week but eventually I will shift that to concentrate more on strength training since I think we will benefit more from that in the long run.

I used to drink an ACV drink daily before surgery to help control reflux and blood sugar levels. Apple cider vinegar is actually not acid once consumed. Instead, it has an alkaline effect on the body when taken internally. Post-surgery I will still pour it over a salad but no longer really feel I need it.

As for loose skin, I still believe autophagy/fasting can repair cells and improve collagen production but that is no longer an option for me diet wise. I chose RNY and so will rely on my new tool and follow those guidelines. For now anyway.

Good luck and stay strong.