Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi
So I’m two weeks post op and currently struggling to get keep my Water intake and Vitamins intake.
Whenever I take a pill I feel severe discomfort like heartburn for 20 mins and need my husbands help to rub my chest off to move it down. This makes it difficult for me.
I have restrictions to have only a spoonful of water each time and wait for 3 mins between the next spoon. This makes it tough to get enough water and my skin is becoming flaky. I also find it difficult to swallow anything with Protein Powder in it . I think I am losing ideal weight 1lb per day but it also includes muscle loss which I would like to avoid.
Any advice or tips that I could get on taking Multi Vitamins and water intake.
Thanks in advance.

All this is normal. Your doing great. Water and medication and Vitamins are the hard at the beginning. Your stomach is so swollen and sore. My surgeon said my new swollen stomach was the size of the inside of a pen. After a month you will begin to see improvements. I felt as if the only things I did all day were trying to drink. One day it just got easier. Space your vitamins out all day, get liquid ones where possible and Gummy Multivitamins if you can find one you are happy with. I had to crush some medication and take it with yogurt or honey. Its vile though. If your team allow then try vitamin patches. If you have trouble with acid heartburn ask your team for anti nausea medication/ PPI

If you try warm, freezing and cold drinks you may find you tolerate one better than others. I did so much better on Hot Drinks, it caused less of a spasm.

I never went down the Protein route, my surgeon believes in dairy produce. So I drank full skimmed milk instead. You can try thinning down your Protein Drinks with water or milk

You are about to have a stall in your weight loss that will make you wish for it back PDQ. Its called the 3 week stall. You will loose muscle. The more you walk and exercise when you can, will slow this. You will end up with a smaller frame so do not need the mass of muscle that hauls you around now . I never exercised, just walked. My muscle loss is just right. I look good in clothes.

I took chewable vitamins the first couple of months - are those available in Japan?

also, you WILL lose muscle. As we lose weight, we lose not only fat, but also bone and muscle. It's OK to lose some of it - we need a lot of "infrastructure" to hold up our excess weight, and once we lose the weight, we don't need as much of that anymore. But the goal is to not lose TOO MUCH muscle. This is one of the reasons we're supposed to eat a lot of Protein - to keep us from losing too much muscle.

I agree, chewable, liquid, or dissolving Vitamins would be a better option for a few months. My program requires it for the first 6 weeks. I found all mine on Amazon.

Try spreading your meds out across the day and yes definitely look into other Vitamin formulations as others have suggested. Some even come in a spray - one squirt under the tongue -easy.

A teaspoon of liquid at a time every couple of minutes is pretty much the way we’re all like. Sip, sip, sip. Keep your drink next to you at all times. I even sipped during the night & still do. I too found warm drinks easier to tolerate - more soothing. I even warmed my shakes.

You’ll find it easier to meet your Fluid & Protein goals over the next couple of weeks when you’re more healed. My surgeon said as long as I was making an effort & getting closer he was happy. Don’t forget your shakes & Soups, broths, etc. all count towards your fluid goal.

Your skin dryness could be from the anaesthetic. It’s likely not from not meeting your fluid goal unless you’re a long way off your goal. Especially if you’re not experiencing any symptoms of dehydration as well (dry mouth tongue & lips, rarely or not peeing, dark & strong smelling urine, rapid heart rate &/or breathing, extreme thirst, irritable, confused, headaches, dizziness & lethargy - though the last three can be part of your recovery). If you have any of these symptoms seek medical help as soon as possible.

You’ll get through this. Just give yourself time to heal & work out how best to manage everything for you.

It depends on the amount of each supplement in the dose. Those amounts are different for each person and each surgery. I would listen to the nutritionist on the dosing.

hi, I had my surgery on Nov 17, so far I’m doing fine. I’d like to know what kind of Vitamins you take after surgery? may I know the brand? thanks!

4 hours ago, sisyfitri said:

hi, I had my surgery on Nov 17, so far I’m doing fine. I’d like to know what kind of Vitamins you take after surgery? may I know the brand? thanks!

Have a chat with your surgeon as they are they are who advises what you should take. Some will indicate what formulation (strength) you take & in what format for example you’re not allowed to swallow meds for a period of time so need Patches or chews. Check also the information you were given before surgery as it’s often listed there. (There’s so much info it’s easy to miss.)

Generally, they recommend a multi Vitamin, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin D but not all advise these. Some dieticians will make recommendations too.

Me I was a multi & a vitamin D but only for a couple of months.

Hi thanks for your answer, I’ll talk to my surgeon about that …