Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the gastric sleeve 4 yrs ago. I developed real bad Gerd. My surgeon said to do the revision to the gastric bypass. I’m 6 weeks post op and down only 25 pounds and my surgeon says I probably won’t loose much more because it’s a revision. I’m devastated why didn’t they tell me before I did the revision. Has anyone lost significant weight after a revision?

Hello Tina. Can you give us some stats to go on. What weight did you begin at, what weight did you get to with your sleeve, height etc. A 25pound loss seems really good in 6 weeks but we need to know more about you

I had the sleeve 4 yrs ago and lost 50 pounds , but had severe Gerd which mimicked hunger pains. Literally starved myself down the 50 pounds. I started at 253 went down to 209 and I’m 5’3..4 yrs later 237 pounds had the gastric bypass revision 12/5/2022 now 212 pounds and not really losing as of yet been almost 2 weeks doing everything I’m supposed to do plus walking 2 miles 3-4 times a week and my surgeon says I prolly won’t loose much more cause it was a revision..super depressing.

25 lbs in six weeks is actually really good. I didn't lose that much until the end of month 2, and mine was a virgin surgery.

as far as losing more, some people do lose quite a bit of weight with a revision, but it's more difficult and a lot slower than it was the first time around. Someone (maybe on here? I can't remember) once explained that it's likely due to fact that you went from a large stomach to a small stomach during surgery #1 - and now you're just going from small to small, so the loss will be a lot slower going. It kind of made sense.

As @catwoman7 says, people who have a revision on this site seem to have lost weight. You have done well so far and are probably in a stall. Ride it out. Stay off the scales as much as possible. Your weight is on the lower scale so it will be slow going from here but you should get lower. People who have a virgin surgery can get to a lower weight but not all. It must be heaven to get rid of the GERD

I don't understand why you are devastated when you lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks, especially at a lower weight start than most. That's a great start, even faster than some who had a virgin rny. Too high expectations can and will defeat all your hard work if it gets to you. Perhaps seek therapy if you truly feel "devastated". I know depression can sometimes occur after WLS.

I had a revision just to get rid of the gerd. Even if I never lost a pound, to end the horrible acid reflux and sleepless nights are 100% worth it to me.

I had the sleeve 4 yrs ago and lost 50 pounds , but had severe Gerd which mimicked hunger pains. Literally starved myself down the 50 pounds. I started at 253 went down to 209 and I’m 5’3..4 yrs later 237 pounds had the gastric bypass revision 12/5/2022 now 212 pounds and not really losing as of yet been almost 2 weeks doing everything I’m supposed to do plus walking 2 miles 3-4 times a week and my surgeon says I prolly won’t loose much more cause it was a revision..super depressing.

On 1/25/2023 at 5:43 PM, Tina Tiff 1 said:

Seek therapy ?wow..sounds like that’s what u need lol nice comment

There are therapists that specialize in bariatric therapy. They help the patient manage expectations, emotions, dealing with head hunger, etc... It's actually a really good idea. Many of us on here have used them at one time or another. I have to have a revision and while I'm concerned about the rate of loss, I'll be honest, I mostly just want to feel better. I had my sleeve in May 2022 and I've lost 108 pounds. I still have 80 pounds to go to get to goal. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing with my diet and working out, and it may take longer than it did now, but I know I'll get there. You will, too. Just keep in mind that stalls happen a lot, 25 pounds lost in 6 weeks in excellent, and just stick religiously to your surgeon's plan and you'll get there in the end. The main goal is better health, anyway.

Your frustration is palpable and I’m sorry you feeling disappointed and that you weren’t given this information before surgery.

Even if you feel like your weight loss has somehow been capped you when you reach a stall you stall you might consider switching it up with a focus on weight training. What our surgeries don’t take away is our ability to sculpt our bodies by adding lean muscle. That’s still within your power. I’ve really enjoyed weight training in the past - it’s given me so much confidence to see myself grow stronger and the Protein focused diet can be similar to what is encouraged of us post surgery.

I hope it’s an option you consider to move past this roadblock.

On 1/25/2023 at 6:43 PM, Tina Tiff 1 said:

Seek therapy ?wow..sounds like that’s what u need lol nice comment

Defensive?

Hey Tina, the unfortunate reality is people who go through wls statistically are more likely to commit suicide than the general population and often are at a higher risk of depression. I think a lot of folks here encourage therapy frequently in replies. Sometimes i understand it can be jarring to have that suggested but I think by and large when it is it’s not meant in a way that’s judgmental as much as it is mindful of these statistics.