Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating out at pureed stage

I'm joining some friends and family for an evening out of town next week. I'm on the pureed diet until January 9th and we're planning on getting dinner out at a restaurant. Does anyone have any suggestions on dining out at the pureed stage? Worst case scenario I can just bring a shake with me...

I know each surgeon's post op regime is different, but that's a sustained period of the pureed stage.

Does the restaurant have its menu online? If so, have a look and see if anything suitable.

You could also call the restaurant find out what may be suitable or if they do Soup. They may even do something for you if you chat with them before you go.

This seems to be about 6 weeks of pureed, which is what my plan was 19 years ago.

I would advocate being careful this early out. I didn't pay close enough attention and created some issues for myself which was embarrassing and stressful. As a result it took some time to get the self induced stress under control.

It seems to me that the possible pureed-like foods available seems very much dependent on the type of restaurant(s) being entertained. It seems you should be able to manage something akin to mashed stuff. Ground meats would likely be available in a variety of cuisines.

If worse comes to worse one could always feign a minor stomach ailment then have something earlier or later that fits into your program.

Good luck,

Tek

1 hour ago, vsg2410 said:

I'm joining some friends and family for an evening out of town next week. I'm on the pureed diet until January 9th and we're planning on getting dinner out at a restaurant. Does anyone have any suggestions on dining out at the pureed stage? Worst case scenario I can just bring a shake with me...

This will depend on the restaurant, but your best bet is probably a Soup of some sort. Even if it's not a pureed soup, most restaurants should be able to puree just about anything for you, including their Soups. Just keep in mind that some restaurant soups can have a lot of fat, so make sure you know what you're getting if you have problem with fat content. Also remember that it probably won't have nearly enough Protein for you so try to remember to supplement your protein intake some other way.

I went to a restaurant during the puree stage. Unfortunately, I went with people from work and didn't get to choose the place. The restaurant had no Soup, so what I ended up eating was a small serving of guacamole. The serving was small, the kind you get on the side. It was ok. The main part was to go with the group and eat something.

If your restaurant has soup, I would have that.

Edited by Sunnyer

Mexican food offers refried Beans. Italian offers the filling of ravioli/stuffed shells/lasagna. Indian food offers a variety of curries. With more of the chain restaurants your best option will be meatloaf (if offered), Soups, or chili.

Some programs frowned upon it but my program allowed mashed potatoes on purée stage. They are most likely on the menu of Soup is not. Just keep in mind like already mentioned this will not satisfy Protein so you will want to make that up the rest of the day.

Edited by ShoppGirl

My first time out on the puree stage, we went to a Thai place. I ended up getting Tom Yum Soup. I didn't eat the veggies but the broth was great. I went back a couple of days later to get more to take home.

I good bowl of Soup is always an option.

I ate so much Hot and Sour Soup when I was recovering from surgery.