Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got my surgery date today - March 29th! It just got very real! I'm excited and slightly terrified. Lol. Overall, I feel ready after months of research and reading posts on this forum. I'm so grateful for the honesty, support and encouragement everyone here shares. I have mixed emotions and almost can't believe that my life could actually change for good. I had honestly stopped feeling like I could ever hope to reach my goals after decades of failed attempts. Best of luck to all of you!
Congratulation

Sent from my SM-A516U using BariatricPal mobile app

2 minutes ago, consuelo1957 said:

Im so readt to start my new journey and get my second chance in life

Sent from my SM-A516U using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place for information and encouragement. You're right that it feels like a second chance at life - best of luck to you!

9 hours ago, Ginnys Journey said:

I'm booked for the 13th March. Suddenly feels very real!

I know exactly how you feel! It's one thing when you're researching it and thinking about it - but actually taking steps to make it happen is exciting and scary all at once. Best of luck to you!

Good luck March surgeries and congrats on taking this step. I was sleeved 12/5. The two biggest comforts to my recovery were an electric heated blanket and sugar free popsicles.

The heated blanket really helped soothe the gas discomfort that can be expected in the first week and any soreness.

Best of luck.

Thank you so much that’s great advice!!! I go on March 7th and I just realized how fast the next month will go. Anything else you’d like to share?

02/05/2023 08:04 PM, Christi Hawkins said:

Thank you so much that’s great advice!!! I go on March 7th and I just realized how fast the next month will go. Anything else you’d like to share?

Stick to your pre-op diet best possible. It might be hard, but after surgery all those cravings go away really quickly. Weight loss feels controlled, stable, and predictable.

The first week I was tired and had discomfort from gas in my body cavity that felt intense but was gone at the end of week. I spent much on the first week in bed resting.

The second week post surgery was my stomach acid week I’d wake up at 5am and feel like I had a belly full of acid. Not super painful, just annoying and that symptom went away at the end of week two. I was back to work and up and about week 2 but sleep early or naps in the afternoon.

Week 3 is when my progress allowed me to move on the soft Proteins. What was most noticeable this week is that occasionally I would get extremely dizzy with the room spinning. I realized this was due to seasonings or Condiments with minimal sugars but the first sugars I had experienced since surgery. Those first 2-3 grams of sugar /food iwould cause my my insulin to over compensate and my blood sugar would drop real low. That happened for about a week and a half 1-2 times a day and then my body adjusted and I haven’t experienced it since.   I also experienced a bit of nausea at this time as I tried new foods and learned to slow down eating but never have actually threwup.

I’m two months out now. Only remaining symptom is light fatigue and occasional nausea as a reaction to eating something new or eating to fast. But it’s super tolerable and not as bad as it might sound.

ALL OF THIS TO SAY: some of the initial symptoms may seem miserable or annoying in the moment while your body is adjusting to your surgery, but understand most of them will pass in a week or so they aren’t there for the long term.

Be kind to yourself, allow yourself to rest, and focus on your Protein and hydration above all else. You got this!

This is fantastic information. I really appreciate it.

Just got booked today for March 15th. Very excited and also like someone said earlier, it is real now! I had a pre/ post op nutrition class. My last dr appt is 3/7 for a surgery physical. Best wishes everyone! May February go by really quick :)

4 hours ago, Alleycat20032003 said:

Just got booked today for March 15th. Very excited and also like someone said earlier, it is real now! I had a pre/ post op nutrition class. My last dr appt is 3/7 for a surgery physical. Best wishes everyone! May February go by really quick :)

Congratulations and best wishes for a smooth surgery and recovery! I'm sure the time will go by quickly. 😉