Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week pre-op diet help!

Hey folks I need advise please! They put me on the two week pre-op diet today and I'll post their guidelines below. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, can I get by with cheating just tmro if I stuck to just about meat and veggies? Will that impact me if I have Thanksgiving dinner?

This is also odd, they told me I am to have NOTHING but what's on the list.. that includes meat and eggs... That's Protein so I dont understand why I can't have that? Even if it's tuna or something.

Can I get some advise please, I'm really frustrated. If need be I'll stay home and not go to Thanksgiving but I don't want to have to do that if I don't have to.

Pre-op guidelines

Diet guidelines:

Low Calorie, 800 calories per day

At least 60 grams of protein per day

Protein Meal Replacement shakes

Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement (available for purchase in office)

Ensure Max Protein Shake

Equate High Performance Protein shake

Equate whey Protein Powder

Fairlife Core Power or Nutrition Plan Protein Shakes

GNC Total Lean Shake 25

Muscle Milk Pro Series

Premier Protein

smoothie King Gladiator or Lean 1

Unjury Protein powder

What to include in your diet:

Meal Replacements / Protein supplements:

3-5 meal replacement shakes per day

Whey protein with at least 20 grams of protein per serving (soy or vegan options available if whey intolerant)

Soups:

Bouillon, broths, and low-fat cream Soups

Avoid soups containing noodles, rice, meat, and other food chunks

Milk and Dairy:

Skim or 1% milk, Almond, Soy, Lactaid, or Fairlife

Light yogurt, Nonfat Greek yogurt

No ice cream! J

Other:

sugar free pudding, sugar free Jell-O, sugar free popsicles

Vegetable juice

Beverages: should be sugar free and calorie free

Aim for at least 64 ounces of total fluids per day

Water with Crystal Light, sugar free Kool-Aid, sugar free water flavorings

Unsweet iced tea or coffee (decaffeinated preferred)

No carbonated beverages, no alcohol, no fruit juices

You may have 1-4 cups of non-starchy vegetables per day to satisfy hunger.

Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers (pickles are okay), green Beans, lettuce, peppers, spinach, squash, tomatoes

DO NOT EAT peas, corn, or potatoes (starchy vegetables)

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey folks I need advise please! They put me on the two week pre-op diet today and I'll post their guidelines below. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, can I get by with cheating just tmro if I stuck to just about meat and veggies? Will that impact me if I have Thanksgiving dinner?
This is also odd, they told me I am to have NOTHING but what's on the list.. that includes meat and eggs... That's Protein so I dont understand why I can't have that? Even if it's tuna or something.
Can I get some advise please, I'm really frustrated. If need be I'll stay home and not go to Thanksgiving but I don't want to have to do that if I don't have to.
Pre-op guidelines
Diet guidelines:
Low Calorie, 800 calories per day
At least 60 grams of Protein per day
Protein Meal Replacement shakes

Bariatric Advantage[emoji2400] Meal Replacement (available for purchase in office)
Ensure Max Protein Shake

Equate High Performance Protein shake

Equate whey Protein Powder

Fairlife Core Power or Nutrition Plan Protein Shakes

GNC Total Lean shake 25
Muscle Milk Pro Series
Premier Protein

smoothie King Gladiator or Lean 1
Unjury Protein powder

What to include in your diet:
Meal Replacements / Protein supplements:
3-5 meal replacement shakes per day
Whey protein with at least 20 grams of protein per serving (soy or vegan options available if whey intolerant)
Soups:
Bouillon, broths, and low-fat cream Soups
Avoid Soups containing noodles, rice, meat, and other food chunks
Milk and Dairy:
Skim or 1% milk, Almond, Soy, Lactaid, or Fairlife
Light yogurt, Nonfat Greek yogurt
No ice cream! J
Other:
sugar free pudding, sugar free Jell-O, sugar free popsicles
Vegetable juice

Beverages: should be sugar free and calorie free
Aim for at least 64 ounces of total fluids per day
Water with Crystal Light, sugar free Kool-Aid, sugar free Water flavorings
Unsweet iced tea or coffee (decaffeinated preferred)
No carbonated beverages, no alcohol, no fruit juices
You may have 1-4 cups of non-starchy vegetables per day to satisfy hunger.
Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers (pickles are okay), green Beans, lettuce, peppers, spinach, squash, tomatoes
DO NOT EAT peas, corn, or potatoes (starchy vegetables)

Hi MChaney, every program is different and should follow your programs guidelines. Mine was different in which I could have some real protein but that was my program

You can ask your team about including some turkey breast and veggies and get their approval. I would also invite you to reflect on your decision, is one day being traded for a better life. I chose this week for surgery knowing well I will skip my fav holiday, but some things are just worth it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I would call your doctor and ask if you can make an exception for Thanksgiving. They know your situation and health best.

Hi MChaney, every program is different and should follow your programs guidelines. Mine was different in which I could have some real Protein but that was my program

You can ask your team about including some turkey breast and veggies and get their approval. I would also invite you to reflect on your decision, is one day being traded for a better life. I chose this week for surgery knowing well I will skip my fav holiday, but some things are just worth it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you ive made the hard decision to just not go to my family's Thanksgiving.

The pre-op diet is made so that it shrinks your liver enough for them to safely do the procedure. By cheating, it can cause complications with surgery and also make it harder on you after the surgery. I know this isn't the answer that you want and you're going to see where some people don't even have to do a pre-op diet but trust your surgeon and take a Protein Shake or something else from your list to Thanksgiving so that you won't be tempted. Temptations are going to be there not just for Thanksgiving but every day after your surgery. Good luck ❤️

believe it or not, my two-week pre-surgery diet was more restrictive than yours. I was only allowed no-calorie fluids, 4-5 Protein Shakes, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, and one cup of broth or Tomato juice a day.

I also can only have shakes, broth, Gatorade or Jello. I got the pumpkin spice premier shakes so I can have something Thanksgiving flavored. I told family I would stop by after dinner. I don’t want to sit around the food while everyone is eating.

Keep your eye on the prize. Making exceptions now maybe cause you to make future exceptions.