Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin's I should take

Which surgery did you have? If you had the sleeve, a multi may be all you need. This is a question you really need to ask your Dietician or Nutritionist. Depending on what your blood work says, you may need something else, or you may not.

I take a lot of supplements daily, but I had a bypass, am vegan, and have my Dietician guiding me. It can't hurt to take a hair and skin supplement though, to help your body through any upcoming Hair loss. Won't stop it, but the extra supplements will help with the eventual regrowth. A good bariatric-multi should be covering most bases, though.

I take a multi Vitamin without Iron as iron makes me queasy. I also take a huge Calcium tablet. In the UK we have a vitamin B12 shot every 3 months, which is not taken anywhere else in the world? It is always best to go with your own team selections. I will have some bloodwork done around my birthday time and they will tell me if I need more or less of these

your surgeon should have told you exactly what is required. Since you are only 7 weeks post op. you probably have not had your 3 month blood work done which they test for Vitamin deficiency. With that then they can adjust and let you know if you need to take anything extra. at 6 months you should have another blood work done to keep on checking and adjusting if needed.

48 minutes ago, summerseeker said:

I take a multi Vitamin without Iron as Iron makes me queasy. I also take a huge Calcium tablet. In the UK we have a Vitamin B12 shot every 3 months, which is not taken anywhere else in the world? It is always best to go with your own team selections. I will have some bloodwork done around my birthday time and they will tell me if I need more or less of these

In the US we do B12 shots too, sometimes they are required post WLS too, just not always (sorry if that’s what you meant). From my experience the dr’s are kinda stingy with the B12 around here. Which is sorta odd because im pretty sure I’ve been told your body just pees out any excess (don’t quote me on that though). I was borderline low once in labs and they said the sublingual version would be sufficient so they seem to reserve the injections for more severe deficiencies. I guess that makes sense.

I had sleeve and I was told to take a bariatric multi with Iron and two calcium citrate daily to start. They do blood work at the three month follow up and adjust from there if necessary. My labs were good at 3 and 6 month and one year. That seems to be working for me. I take the ProCare Health multivitamin with 45mg iron. That and the Bariatric Advantage chewable were recommended by my team. I started with the chewable and I didn’t think it tasted bad (some people hate the chewables though) but it was more expensive and you had to take it twice a day so I switched to the capsule at about one month out and that’s been fine for me. I have it on auto ship which is convenient and it qualifies me for free shipping. I did keep my leftover chewables in case they ever didn’t arrive on time but a year and a half later that has never been an issue. The Calcium citrate I take is just a normal Vitamin from Amazon (just make sure it’s “citrate” though. The other one doesn’t absorb as well for us.

I have a sleeve & only took a multi Vitamin too though I briefly took Vitamin D (couple of months after surgery). I’m a big advocate of not taking Vitamins without having a blood test to see what you’re actually lacking in first. Having too much of a vitamin can be just as concerning as not having enough. Plus vitamins are expensive & some of them you just pee out if you have too much. You can request a blood test whenever you want & don’t have to wait for your next surgeon’s appointment.

Stopped the multi at around 8 months. Didn’t need additional vitamins as blood tests showed I was getting all I needed from what I ate. I’m taking vitamin D again but only in Winter because we discovered my levels dropped then when I hibernate (hate the cold & bundle up so the sun isn’t able to reach my skin). Benefit of having regular blood tests & being able to historically track levels.

16 hours ago, summerseeker said:

In the UK we have a Vitamin B12 shot every 3 months, which is not taken anywhere else in the world?

That is excellent, I wish we had that service down here. One less tablet to swallow daily would be very welcome!

Also: you really are rocking that pixie cut Summerseeker!

Edited by Smanky