Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to WLS but not dieting.

I am just starting out on my journey here, I thought when I lost 100 lbs in 2019 I would never be this heavy again. Unfortunately that is not the case and I am the heaviest I have ever been. In 2019 I was diagnosed with POTS and EDS which honestly explains many of the issues I have had since I was a child. My primary referred me to see bariatrics and now I am here. I have had my initial consult which was quite interesting and daunting as with a complex medical history there are additional steps. I have my first “medically supervised weight loss appt” coming up this week (way better than waiting til Jan.) I am here looking for friends, good vibes and advice all welcome.

Welcome!

I think many of us have had similar experiences with yo-yo dieting. As I tell people, losing weight is not a problem. By now I'm an expert, considering I've lost the same pounds many many times now. 😁

What I suck it is maintaining! This is one of the key reasons I finally decided on WLS.

FYI, there's a wealth of knowledge here on the site in terms of what to expect as you progress through the stages and on past surgery. If you run into anything that you don't see answered, feel free to ask. There's likely someone that can help. That said, one of my biggest pieces of advice would be that it's always best to ask medical questions of your medical team, not the folks here.

Hello and welcome!

Same here, I have lost 100+ lbs multiple times. 170lbs last time! and every single time said "I WILL NEVER GAIN IT BACK" yet, every time I did and more. ( I even had skin removal after my 170lb loss and still gained it back)

I keep talking myself out of WLS because "I know how to loose weight, I have done it many times". Which, is in fact TRUE, VERY TRUE! I do know how to loose weight, but I do not know how to maintain it! Ever... at all! This is what pushed me to have WLS.

I hope this is the help I need to maintain. I am scared to death to get to that stage because of my massive failure history but I am focused and have an entire team on my side!

This (and other forums) can be very helpful and inspiring. I read for months while I went through the pre-surgery process. I wanted to know everything, the good, bad and ugly. And, oh boy did I.

Read everything, google everything ask all the questions. You will then be as prepared as possible.

I wish you the best on your journey!

Welcome! I also have POTS and I’m pretty sure I’m on the zebra train as well (frequent dislocations and stretchy skin, I’m looking at you!).
Honestly WLS has helped so much with managing my symptoms and just quality of life in general.
Hopefully, you’ll find the solution that works best for you.

5 hours ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

Welcome! I also have POTS and I’m pretty sure I’m on the zebra train as well (frequent dislocations and stretchy skin, I’m looking at you!).
Honestly WLS has helped so much with managing my symptoms and just quality of life in general.
Hopefully, you’ll find the solution that works best for you.

Personally I notice as I loose weight my POTS symptoms worsen, and my EDS gets better so I am hoping to find balance between the two. Did you struggle with sodium intake or hydration after surgery?

6 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

Hello and welcome!

Same here, I have lost 100+ lbs multiple times. 170lbs last time! and every single time said "I WILL NEVER GAIN IT BACK" yet, every time I did and more. ( I even had skin removal after my 170lb loss and still gained it back)

I keep talking myself out of WLS because "I know how to loose weight, I have done it many times". Which, is in fact TRUE, VERY TRUE! I do know how to loose weight, but I do not know how to maintain it! Ever... at all! This is what pushed me to have WLS.

I hope this is the help I need to maintain. I am scared to death to get to that stage because of my massive failure history but I am focused and have an entire team on my side!

This (and other forums) can be very helpful and inspiring. I read for months while I went through the pre-surgery process. I wanted to know everything, the good, bad and ugly. And, oh boy did I.

Read everything, google everything ask all the questions. You will then be as prepared as possible.

I wish you the best on your journey!

SAY IT TO THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK!!!

That is true! I also see that @SpartanMaker said that as well. I can loose the weight BUT keeping it off and staying healthy the entire time??? Not so much.

On 10/11/2022 at 2:04 PM, Getfitasamother said:

Personally I notice as I loose weight my POTS symptoms worsen, and my EDS gets better so I am hoping to find balance between the two. Did you struggle with sodium intake or hydration after surgery?

For a while when by body was still trying to regulate after WLS I would drink broth made with bouillon cubes ice or twice a day. It helped a bunch. I don’t have to much anymore now that I’m a couple years out.

39 minutes ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

For a while when by body was still trying to regulate after WLS I would drink broth made with bouillon cubes ice or twice a day. It helped a bunch. I don’t have to much anymore now that I’m a couple years out.

Good to know, and you healed pretty well?

14 hours ago, Getfitasamother said:

Good to know, and you healed pretty well?

For the most part. I had road bumps along the way. I had multiple surgeries following my initial WLS for VSG with hiatal hernia repair (knee hardware removal, WLS revision due gerd by hiatal hernia, mesentery hernia repair, and small bowel resection due to obstruction from the seromas from the hernia repair 🤦‍♀️). I’m just prone to hernias for whatever reason and even knowing what I know now I’d do it all again because I feel so much better now than I did before.