Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Constipation

Hi everyone,

I am scheduled for my DS surgery October 19th. I have been placed on a 3 week liquid diet and today is day 11.

Yesterday was the most pain I felt when it comes to Constipation. I had been doing fine but omg I called the on-call doctor twice due to the pain and not being able to go. I was super nauseous and just drained from trying. I got permission to drink prune juice but still nothing. The on call surgeon recommended some over the counter suppositories and will be sending in a stronger nausea medication since Zofran doesn’t help.

Has anyone else experienced pre-op constipation? What have you taken to help you? I should also add I tried milk of magnesia, Miralax, docusate (prescribed) and prune juice and still nothing. HELP! PLEASE!!!

I had similar issues before and after surgery. It was rough. Prescription medicine was the only thing that worked in the beginning. But incorporating daily Fiber helped then and in the long run. I take Fiber Well gummies. I think a lot of people like that brand too. The good news was this was my worst issue, all else went really well. Good luck.

odd. I was on 2 weeks liquid diet but never had any issues going number 2. Now after surgery that was rough. general anesthesia and pain killers basically shut down your ability to go number 2. Takes a bit to come back and when it does OMG the first one will be a doozy. i was prescribed a stool softener to take for weeks after surgery but for me it didnt help.

It's pretty common. So much so that my team actually starts everyone on a bowel regimen a week before the preop diet even starts.

They had a flow chart and used little poop emojis. (Which I personally thought was a bit much.) It was also the very first tining in the preop PDF they sent me. The idea was if you don't have a soft BM every 1-2 days, then you take progressively more stools softeners and stimulants.

I asked why it was the very first thing in the PDF and they said it's one of the most challenging things people deal with both pre-op, and for the few weeks post-op. It's also one of those things that you're better off staying ahead of, meaning once you realize there's an issue, it's can be difficult to get back to "regular"

3 hours ago, HashiHope121 said:

I had similar issues before and after surgery. It was rough. Prescription medicine was the only thing that worked in the beginning. But incorporating daily Fiber helped then and in the long run. I take Fiber Well gummies. I think a lot of people like that brand too. The good news was this was my worst issue, all else went really well. Good luck.

Hi, thank you so much for this information. Also, thanks for giving me hope knowing that you only experienced this twice and everything else is fine 😊 I know we are all different but it feels good to know someone else made it through the same problem okay.

What surgery did you get and how long ago?

2 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

odd. I was on 2 weeks liquid diet but never had any issues going number 2. Now after surgery that was rough. general anesthesia and pain killers basically shut down your ability to go number 2. Takes a bit to come back and when it does OMG the first one will be a doozy. i was prescribed a stool softener to take for weeks after surgery but for me it didnt help.

Hi, and oh boy!! I hope this won’t be me. They did prescribe me a stool softener as well and the on call surgeon had me to take them to see if it will help and it didn’t so they are thinking I need something stronger. I am definitely going to get the fiber packets. I actually just bought the meta mucil but will also buy Benefiber and talk to my surgeon about the fiber well gummies that was brought to my attention by one of my bariatricpals on this thread. I’m open to anything as long as it works.

How are you doing now?

2 hours ago, SpartanMaker said:

It's pretty common. So much so that my team actually starts everyone on a bowel regimen a week before the preop diet even starts.

They had a flow chart and used little poop emojis. (Which I personally thought was a bit much.) It was also the very first tining in the preop PDF they sent me. The idea was if you don't have a soft BM every 1-2 days, then you take progressively more stools softeners and stimulants.

I asked why it was the very first thing in the PDF and they said it's one of the most challenging things people deal with both pre-op, and for the few weeks post-op. It's also one of those things that you're better off staying ahead of, meaning once you realize there's an issue, it's can be difficult to get back to "regular"

Hi, that’s pretty interesting. I wonder why not all teams start you on a regimen especially with it being a common symptom?

How are you managing with everything now? Do you feel you still go on a normal basis post-op or do you have days where you don’t go at all? I’m just curious as to how it works for some people post-op. Before the liquid diet I felt I went too much on the regular to not much at all or with Constipation. I’m hoping after surgery things will kind of go back to normal.

2 minutes ago, Bella30 said:

How are you managing with everything now? Do you feel you still go on a normal basis post-op or do you have days where you don’t go at all? I’m just curious as to how it works for some people post-op. Before the liquid diet I felt I went too much on the regular to not much at all or with constipation. I’m hoping after surgery things will kind of go back to normal.

It was worse for me post surgery, at least for a while. I didn't even take any narcotic pain meds, which can really stop your guts.

The good news is, now that my team allowed me to start taking a probiotic again, and now that I'm eating real food again, the Constipation is pretty much gone.

I did not have any issues on the pre op but did have a little trouble going post surgery. I was already on stool softeners but I added a dose of milk of magnesia and that did the trick. The next day I started with the soluable fiber as a preventative and that worked like a charm until I got to around a normal serving size and weaned myself off of that too. Been regular ever since.

2 hours ago, Bella30 said:

Hi, and oh boy!! I hope this won’t be me. They did prescribe me a stool softener as well and the on call surgeon had me to take them to see if it will help and it didn’t so they are thinking I need something stronger. I am definitely going to get the Fiber packets. I actually just bought the meta mucil but will also buy Benefiber and talk to my surgeon about the fiber well gummies that was brought to my attention by one of my bariatricpals on this thread. I’m open to anything as long as it works.

How are you doing now?

Fiber? Fiber bulks stool up. i use to take meta mucil. You notice the difference from one day to the other when you go number 2 lol. I am 6 months post op and no issues going number 2. the "tough" part of it only lasted a few weeks after surgery. first week being the hardest.

1 hour ago, liveaboard15 said:

Fiber? Fiber bulks stool up. i use to take meta mucil. You notice the difference from one day to the other when you go number 2 lol. I am 6 months post op and no issues going number 2. the "tough" part of it only lasted a few weeks after surgery. first week being the hardest.

Benefiber is what my team suggested to prevent Constipation and it worked for me. I was instructed to use milk of magnesia to get things moving and start the fiber once it did. That combination Worked for me.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I had this problem years ago when I did a liquid diet not as bad as you’re experiencing though. I was told then it was because the shakes have a lot of fibre & block you up because your stools get too firm & hard. And you’re not eating any fruit or vegetables to balance your diet.

I’d avoid additional fibre supplements until post surgery as much of the Constipation then is because you’re consuming even less. And initially post surgery you’re consuming more than just shakes - broths & Soups, milk, …

if it’s so bad ask if you could try the two shakes & one meal (protein & vegetables only) version of the pre surgical diet. They may say no but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

I requested being able to eat vegetables (low-carb ones) during my liquid phase and it was approved. I feel like I'm cheating when I eat them, though, but I have to remind myself it was OK'd. It definitely helps, but not 100%.

I am one week into the pre-op and the Constipation is making me crazy. I read somewhere that it is okay to take colace but I am afraid to take anything without my surgeons approval I plan to call them on Monday but this is day 4 with no bowel movement so it will be 6 days by the time I call them. I don't know if I am over reacting or if i need to do something now. Any suggestions are appreciated!

1 hour ago, Merri Beth said:

I am one week into the pre-op and the constipation is making me crazy. I read somewhere that it is okay to take colace but I am afraid to take anything without my surgeons approval I plan to call them on Monday but this is day 4 with no bowel movement so it will be 6 days by the time I call them. I don't know if I am over reacting or if i need to do something now. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I'd avoid Constipation by taking fiber gummies/supplements. Since it's something we naturally get from food I figured it'd be fine during the pre-op diet & my Dr's agreed! It made life much easier during that time