Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair is starting to thin a bit

So i am about 5 and a half months post op. My hair is starting to thin out. Knew it was coming, Oh well lol. It will grow back eventually. Lost almost no weight so far this month. guessing i am in a stall again... gotta hate it lol. anyways prepping for a hurricane here in Florida. Should be here by the end of the week.

Stay safe out there! We have a vacation planned for Florida the first week of next month, hope it is cleared out by then.

My hair is thick and has always had a lot of shedding so I can't really tell if it is more than normal or not. My ponytail seems a bit smaller so maybe it is but not enough to stress. Hopefully it stays that way!

I think I am in a stall too, my first one since 3 weeks post op! I thought for a minute I was dodging stalls. haha (yea right). I have lost 3lbs over the past 3 weeks.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!

I chopped my hair off in preparation of the thinning. I have a lot of hair, but figured it would be a good thing to take off the bulk.

My hair shedding started around month 3 and is finally decreasing a bit. I had already had massive shedding before surgery so maybe that's why it slowed down so fast. I see lots of scalp now but I'm going to wait until it stops then see the hairdresser about what type of cut I want. Hang in there it will start to decrease and eventually stop.

As for the stalls I usually get one every month and of course this month was no exception. I reexamined my diet and found I was drinking way too much Crystal Light (approx 50-60 oz) and have switched back to plain Water and have started losing again though a bit slower.

Stay safe out there in Florida!

Just a tip from an ex-stylist. Thin hair looks better and will have more volume when it's shorter. And darker hair will look even thinner due to scalp contrast.

So If you ever wanted to go lighter, its a good time to try it out!

Edited by SuziDavis
Typo

I'm older, have alway had thin hear, so it is more os an issue for me. I thought I had dodged the bullet until last month. It fell like rain! It may have been my reluctance to take my Vitamin, due to all the nausea I had. Know the song "I'm a believer"? You betcha those Vitamins go down now. And the Hair loss has slowed down, and it is coming back in...

It comes back!

One of the more irritating side effects of WLS! Mine started shedding really heavily around the 5th month and kept going for a couple of months (and I lost a lot in the end). I'm seeing some regrowth at 10 months. Totally agree, a shorter length looks better with thinner hair.

Mine has finally started to level off, I knew I would be a "loser." My hair has always been very sensitive to major stress or changes. When I was going thru a divorce, I had a big bald spot near the back of my head. So this time, somewhere around 3-4th month I started losing like a handful of hair every time I brushed. There was always hair on my shoulder. I don't have an overabundance to start with! So now its really slowed down and ready to grow some back.

Does everyone have hair loss/thinning hair? Can it be avoided by making sure to continue to get enough Protein?

2 minutes ago, MissMerryberry said:

Does everyone have hair loss/thinning hair? Can it be avoided by making sure to continue to get enough Protein?

not everyone will experience it. and no not really. I get way more than enough Protein. But it will grow back.

12 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

not everyone will experience it. and no not really. I get way more than enough Protein. But it will grow back.

Okay, thank you for the info.