Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Totally messed up on liquid diet post op - help

Alright friends, I failed to prepare, so I was preparing to fail, and need some guidance/help. I went to a wedding today about a 4 hour drive (in the sticks), and thought I was prepared by bringing a premixed Protein Shake and a small container of Soup. I am about a week post op (ESG), so on a full liquid diet.< br />
I left both in my car while I went to the ceremony, social time and cocktail hour, planning to sneak away at various times to have a sip. Time flew by, much socializing occurred, and before I knew it, the soup had spoiled and the Protein shake was also undrinkable. At that point, I was absolutely starving and within an hour (once dinner was served), I was dizzy and shaking, even with sips of Water. I was worried about my well-being since I had to drive home later in the dark, so I had a few bites of soft sweet potato and tender meat, very very well chewed. I felt less lightheaded and made it back home safely, but feel truly terrible and worried that I messed up my stitches/sutures.

Can anyone provide any support? Any idea if that was enough to mess me up? I have been doing so well and am still motivated to stay on track, but I am anxious. My tummy aches a little but it has been aching after basically everything I “eat” except water. Thank you.

It was a one off occurrence so you’ll probably be ok. You were at least conscious of what choices you could make in the situation & know new fur the future.

During the whole time you are losing, travelling for a day or for longer times will require a little planning ahead in regard to your food options. The stage you’re at, where you are going & what might be available will influence how much & what food you’ll need to take with you.

To give you some ideas: Pack a small esky/cooler with appropriate food options. If travelling over a number of days, add fresh food you are able to eat from local stores (cheese, yoghurts, fruit, etc.) & replenish the ice unless you can refreeze ice bricks overnight. Choose packet options for Soup & shakes which you mix with Water when you arrive or along the journey. Pack high Protein Snacks like Protein Bars, nuts, beef Jerky, etc. which are easily transportable & generally don’t spoil.

I’m three years out & whenever I travel, holiday, etc., I still take an emergency pack of ‘just in case’ foods options. I don’t need them in the same way but you never know. I used to always carry a Protein Bar in my bag but they would become heat affected & inedible. Now I just try to remember to throw something in my bag if I think I might need it. Of course the times I forget I usually need it most.

2 hours ago, rtbh155 said:

Alright friends, I failed to prepare, so I was preparing to fail, and need some guidance/help. I went to a wedding today about a 4 hour drive (in the sticks), and thought I was prepared by bringing a premixed Protein Shake and a small container of Soup. I am about a week post op (ESG), so on a full liquid diet.< br />
I left both in my car while I went to the ceremony, social time and cocktail hour, planning to sneak away at various times to have a sip. Time flew by, much socializing occurred, and before I knew it, the Soup had spoiled and the Protein shake was also undrinkable. At that point, I was absolutely starving and within an hour (once dinner was served), I was dizzy and shaking, even with sips of Water. I was worried about my well-being since I had to drive home later in the dark, so I had a few bites of soft sweet potato and tender meat, very very well chewed. I felt less lightheaded and made it back home safely, but feel truly terrible and worried that I messed up my stitches/sutures.

Can anyone provide any support? Any idea if that was enough to mess me up? I have been doing so well and am still motivated to stay on track, but I am anxious. My tummy aches a little but it has been aching after basically everything I “eat” except Water. Thank you.

I would call your surgeon. It's only been about a week since you had surgery. Even soft foods are dangerous, let alone meat. Just let him/her know. Unfortunately, I do know someone who caused a leak from eating so soon after surgery. She didn't have ESG though, but VSG. It may be more safe for ESG to slip up early. Stay safe.

You could have had a glass of milk. 250 mls [8.5 Fluid ounces ] of Skimmed milk = 9grams of Protein. On our new life journeys we never stop learning. I personally have learned more from @Arabesque than anywhere else. At 9 months out I always take a drink and a protein snack even if I am out for just an hour. I have been caught out and that woozy feeling is not nice.

I was on purees as soon as I left the hospital, so I suspect the sweet potato - as long as it was really soft - might have been OK. Not sure about the meat, though.

When I was early out I misunderstood the instructions and did not see the do not have these items above the bullet points that listed Pasta when I was moving to soft foods. Well, I had some and when I called my clinic I learned this could cause a bolis which would not have been good. Like she said what’s done is done but it couldn’t help to ask them what to watch for so if something is wrong you can get it addressed asap.

Edited by ShoppGirl

On 08/27/2022 at 00:16, Arabesque said:

It was a one off occurrence so you’ll probably be ok. You were at least conscious of what choices you could make in the situation & know new fur the future.

During the whole time you are losing, travelling for a day or for longer times will require a little planning ahead in regard to your food options. The stage you’re at, where you are going & what might be available will influence how much & what food you’ll need to take with you.

To give you some ideas: Pack a small esky/cooler with appropriate food options. If travelling over a number of days, add fresh food you are able to eat from local stores (cheese, yoghurts, fruit, etc.) & replenish the ice unless you can refreeze ice bricks overnight. Choose packet options for Soup & shakes which you mix with Water when you arrive or along the journey. Pack high Protein Snacks like Protein Bars, nuts, beef Jerky, etc. which are easily transportable & generally don’t spoil.

I’m three years out & whenever I travel, holiday, etc., I still take an emergency pack of ‘just in case’ foods options. I don’t need them in the same way but you never know. I used to always carry a Protein Bar in my bag but they would become heat affected & inedible. Now I just try to remember to throw something in my bag if I think I might need it. Of course the times I forget I usually need it most.

Thank you - this morning I went ahead and ordered a few emergency supplies for my car, including shelf stable Protein Powder and will leave them in the car with bottles of Water. It’s a new learning experience for me, and I thought I prepared sufficiently, but didn’t. Thank you so much for the information you gave me. I appreciate it.

On 08/27/2022 at 01:35, Tomo said:

I would call your surgeon. It's only been about a week since you had surgery. Even soft foods are dangerous, let alone meat. Just let him/her know. Unfortunately, I do know someone who caused a leak from eating so soon after surgery. She didn't have ESG though, but VSG. It may be more safe for ESG to slip up early. Stay safe.

I did, and the office said that as long as I wasn’t having severe stomach pain to not be too worried. I am paranoid really only because of a failures group I am a part of who constantly talk about suturescoming lose and the stomach returning to it’s pre procedure size :(

On 08/27/2022 at 06:54, summerseeker said:

You could have had a glass of milk. 250 mls [8.5 Fluid ounces ] of Skimmed milk = 9grams of Protein. On our new life journeys we never stop learning. I personally have learned more from @Arabesque than anywhere else. At 9 months out I always take a drink and a Protein snack even if I am out for just an hour. I have been caught out and that woozy feeling is not nice.

Thank you - I didn’t even think to ask for milk! That’s a great idea if I ever forget again, though I think I’ve definitely learned my lesson.

On 08/27/2022 at 07:41, catwoman7 said:

I was on purees as soon as I left the hospital, so I suspect the sweet potato - as long as it was really soft - might have been OK. Not sure about the meat, though.

That makes sense - I seem to be feeling okay this morning so hopefully I’ve avoided the worst of it. Thank you.

4 hours ago, rtbh155 said:
I did, and the office said that as long as I wasn’t having severe stomach pain to not be too worried. I am paranoid really only because of a failures group I am a part of who constantly talk about suturescoming lose and the stomach returning to it’s pre procedure size :(

Aww I am sorry if I caused you any additional worry. I am so glad you let your team know and they told you what to look out for. I think ESG is safer than VSG overall too. If it was available when I had my vsg, I would have taken that route instead. Here is to your success.

Edited by Tomo