Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with BC/BS Illinois ever approved??

Congratulations on the date!! I finished my 6 month diet today and paperwork will be sent in next week. Now the hard part starts. Keep your fingers crossed guys. I will keep you posted. Good luck to everyone else with this insurance!!! Tamara

I have BC/BS Illinois and I live in Alabama (my work's group policy) and I got denied--and denied on appeal. My BMI was high enough, I was over 100lbs...and I have no co-morbidities. I was told by the phone rep that if only I were a bit sicker--or heavier. (Yes, I'm serious.) They said I needed more of a 6 month diet and exercise history however, I've been seing doctors about weight loss and been on every diet known to man (all documented) since 2002. As if my weight gain popped up in the recent 6 months and somehow the next 6 months of doing the exact same thing I've done for 6 years prior--would be the magic weight loss bullet! So, I got a Capital One loan and wrote it off my taxes. I had my surgery in July of 2007--and after losing 30lbs....my surgeon's office accidentally billed my insurance for a "fill"--and guess what? They paid for the office portion--but not the fill. Go figure.

I was approved by BCBSIL on Friday August 8th after three months!! They said they didn't have enough info of weight loss after submitting every diet I had been on sice 1992 which was almost every year for at least 6-8 month. Finally My primary doctor had to write a letter stating we discussed Calorie and nutrition at every appointment for the past 6 months and they approved it I am to be banded Sept 3rd!!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

MY ADVISE DON'T LET THE DR FOLLOW UP STAY ON TOP OF THE DR'S AND BCBSIL YOURSELF!!:)

I just wanted to let everyone know that as of today I am approved for surgery!!! I have bc/bs il and have been going through the process since 11/07. I submitted the first request on July 17th via my surgeons office and was denied. I submitted my own paperwork on July 30th and was approved this morning!! There is hope. I did this all on my own. Good luck everyone!!!! Tamara

I did get the ok from bc/bs illinois. My surg did the one year diet in the office i guess(anyway they told me they would take care of that part). I got my approval within 3 weeks. My bmi was at 43 but it had been to 38. I ahd my sugury July 29th,(they wanted to do it July 3rd but I was on vacation). From start to finish including past med records,psych dr,heart dr and all labs it took 5 weeks. Keep your chin up.

I just wanted to let everyone know that as of today I am approved for surgery!!! I have bc/bs il and have been going through the process since 11/07. I submitted the first request on July 17th via my surgeons office and was denied. I submitted my own paperwork on July 30th and was approved this morning!! There is hope. I did this all on my own. Good luck everyone!!!! Tamara

Yaaayyyyyy...congrats...good for you.

julie

I did get the ok from bc/bs illinois. My surg did the one year diet in the office i guess(anyway they told me they would take care of that part). I got my approval within 3 weeks. My bmi was at 43 but it had been to 38. I ahd my sugury July 29th,(they wanted to do it July 3rd but I was on vacation). From start to finish including past med records,psych dr,heart dr and all labs it took 5 weeks. Keep your chin up.

First off, congrats on your surgery.:wink2: I have BCBSIL and was wondering, did they make you stay overnight? My paperwork is supposedly being sent in today, but the information that BCBSIL sent to me said something about the surgery taking place in an inpatient setting. When I asked if that meant overnight, they just said again inpatient setting.

Congrats on your approval. :thumbup: Just in case I have to handle my own appeal if I am denied, what exactly did you send to the insurance company? Also, are you required to use the same surgeon that you started with if you send in your own paperwork?:wink2: Thanks for any info that you can share.

First off, congrats on your surgery.:blink: I have BCBSIL and was wondering, did they make you stay overnight? My paperwork is supposedly being sent in today, but the information that BCBSIL sent to me said something about the surgery taking place in an inpatient setting. When I asked if that meant overnight, they just said again inpatient setting.

I wanted to let you know that I did not have to stay the night. It was an outpatient thing. I arrived at 9 am and if the surgeons hadn't been running late with other people..I would have been in and out in 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Congrats on your surgery, too. Thanks for the answer about this. I was hoping I could still be outpatient. The thought of spending the night in the hospital did not appeal to me at all.