Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 3 weeks out from VSG. I’m currently a eating modified regular diet. My plan’s guidance is to stay between 600-800 calories a day. When I eat I definitely fill up quickly and feel restriction which I’m pleased with but I find that I’m hungry again less than an hour later. I’m eating Protein, limiting carbs, drinking Water, and doing physical activity through walking or recumbent bike. I’m feeling frustrated because I feel like I’m struggling with hunger a lot more than I should. I’m already getting close to maxing out that calorie range but I’m still hungry. I know it’s not head hunger because I have physical hunger symptoms like growling/rumbling stomach. Anyone else experience this and have any thoughts/advice?

It may be hunger, but the growling and rumbling stomach could be due to the VSG, a lot of people experience growling and rumbling following a VSG. Are you still on any stomach acid reducing medication? If its not genuine hunger it could be acid reflux or something similar that is mimicing hunger. If no on any medication, speak to your surgeon about the issue or perhaps try an over the counter product like nexium.

How much exercising are you doing? Exercising will make you hungrier because you are already on very low calories and burning more will make you hungrier. You don't need to exercise to lose weight at this point.

07/14/2022 05:02 PM, SleeverSk said:

How much exercising are you doing? Exercising will make you hungrier because you are already on very low calories and burning more will make you hungrier. You don't need to exercise to lose weight at this point.

Thanks for your reply. I’m not doing anything too intense, just trying to get in the 30 minutes of activity daily that my program recommends.

On 07/14/2022 at 16:42, Hop_Scotch said:

It may be hunger, but the growling and rumbling stomach could be due to the VSG, a lot of people experience growling and rumbling following a VSG. Are you still on any stomach acid reducing medication? If its not genuine hunger it could be acid reflux or something similar that is mimicing hunger. If no on any medication, speak to your surgeon about the issue or perhaps try an over the counter product like nexium.

I wasn’t on any acid reducer but have started taking omeprazole to help with acid reflux because that was pretty intense. I’m hoping that maybe this is just gurgling/growling associated with the surgery and am going to work on being more aware/mindful of it to try to determine hunger vs not hunger.

Immediately post surgery my stomach made ALL KINDS of crazy noises. Some of which did sound similar to the stomach is growling you must be hungry sort of noise. Mostly this happened after I ate. I think it’s noisy while it’s digesting. Could it be that??

I also felt a lot of hunger post surgery. Everyone told me I was wrong and wasn't actually hungry, but I know my body: I was hungry. I talked to my surgery team and they said it does happen to a small number of people - they don't lose their hunger hormone. My bariatric therapist said it's especially common in people with bipolar disorder, which I have.

Eventually I was put on metformin and topamax, which have both helped. BTW, I was losing weight the whole time, and I had good restriction, but being hungry all the time was MISERABLE.

Talk to your surgery center. There are options.

I’m a week out from surgery and yes I’m hungry. I had the lapband for 10 years and never once felt hungry. I am still weak feeling. I’m now eating Protein Shakes, broths, Jello, Greek yogurt and I added a scrambled egg. The egg did help. I did read that when you don’t get enough Protein you will be hungry. I can’t eat more than I am.