Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with Vitamins

I'm scheduled for my surgery August 3rd, and I'm trying to understand the Vitamin situation. I currently take a Gummy Multivitamin (Vitafusion Women's) and I can tolerate those fine. Are gummies (obviously not my old ones) available and an option after gastric bypass? I love the idea of Patches but I am allergic to adhesive, so that is a no-go. I'm hoping I can just take swallowable ones, if gummies don't work, but I guess chewables or liquids would be alright if they weren't too gross tasting. Does everyone take roughly the same vitamin mix or will the doc specify ones specific to me? I'm going to Tijuana, so I haven't had a lot of interaction with the medical team there yet. I'd just like to understand everyone's experience since I usually chug Water with my swallowable pills and I'm not sure I can do it with a "sip". Thanks!

For the first couple days you will definitely be taking small sips so you may want to go the chewable route if you don’t think you can swallow a pill that way. I found the Bariatric Advantage chewables to be tolerable. I switched to Pro Care health capsules soon after I was sure I could swallow them though because they aren’t cheap. I got samples from my nutritionist. I believe if you contact them they will send you samples through the mail.

23 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

For the first couple days you will definitely be taking small sips so you may want to go the chewable route if you don’t think you can swallow a pill that way. I found the Bariatric Advantage chewables to be tolerable. I switched to Pro Care health capsules soon after I was sure I could swallow them though because they aren’t cheap. I got samples from my nutritionist. I believe if you contact them they will send you samples through the mail.

Thank you!

Are there one-and-done Vitamins or are there definitely going to be multiple I need to take daily?

6 minutes ago, Artista said:

Thank you!

Are there one-and-done Vitamins or are there definitely going to be multiple I need to take daily?

They are once a day multivitamin and they include your Iron. I was also advised to take calcium citrate as well. I took the Bariatric Advantage chews for Calcium in the beginning but later switched to an over the counter brand of calcium citrate that is a large pill.

You may also want a chewable Biotin supplement since the recommended dose is 5000 and the Multi Vitamins typically only have 1000. You also may need a D3 supplement depending on how much the multi Vitamin has (I was told I needed 3000 but my multi only had 1000).

I agree with the above posters.

Usually your Dietician will give you info about what your clinic wants you to take. My clinic is pretty basic on supplements. A bariatric Vitamin twice daily, plus two 500 mg of calcium citrate, and the one thing they're different than most about is monthly B12 injections for the first year post op. Plus depending on your labwork post op, your vitamin/supplement regimen may change. Iron often has to be adjusted.

Currently I take Bariatric Fusion chewables, but they're pretty gross. 🤢 I feel like I'll be switching to capsules very soon post op. I'm going to try Once Daily Bariatric Choice Multivitamins. Any one else try these yet?

3 hours ago, Artista said:

I'm scheduled for my surgery August 3rd, and I'm trying to understand the Vitamin situation. I currently take a Gummy Multivitamin (Vitafusion Women's) and I can tolerate those fine. Are gummies (obviously not my old ones) available and an option after gastric bypass? I love the idea of Patches but I am allergic to adhesive, so that is a no-go. I'm hoping I can just take swallowable ones, if gummies don't work, but I guess chewables or liquids would be alright if they weren't too gross tasting. Does everyone take roughly the same Vitamin mix or will the doc specify ones specific to me? I'm going to Tijuana, so I haven't had a lot of interaction with the medical team there yet. I'd just like to understand everyone's experience since I usually chug Water with my swallowable pills and I'm not sure I can do it with a "sip". Thanks!

I went all out like you are thinking and bought all this stuff and didnt use a thing. I didnt get cleared for pills until I was off the soft diet. If you have questions about this please ask your nutritionist/dietician if you have questions. Don't do what I did by spending money on stuff you will not use. I had all these chewable crap that I hated and can't return. Don't be afraid to ask or reach out to your particular group doing your surgery.