Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know we need a Multivitamin also Calcium but I would like to know what kind you use or recommend as well as any other Vitamins you take and/or recommend.

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

I take Pro Care health multi with 45 mg Iron. It’s a true once a day bariatric Vitamin that was approved by my team. I also take an over the counter calcium citrate twice a day. I was taking the Bariatric Advantage chews though the last time I had labs so I can’t really speak about the brand of Calcium yet. My labs have been great with the pro care health multi though.

2 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

This is what i take for my Multivitamin.

IMG_6901.JPG

Do you take an additional Iron supplement with that? Have you had labs?? I think that taking the lower iron dose like that would help a lot of people who have issues with it but would worry that their iron may get low if they didn’t take a separate dose of iron.

4 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Do you take an additional Iron supplement with that? Have you had labs?? I think that taking the lower Iron dose like that would help a lot of people who have issues with it but would worry that their iron may get low if they didn’t take a separate dose of iron.

I do not. My next appointment with the surgeon is August 2nd and i got lab orders which include iron in the mail yesterday. Made an appointment for Thursday so curious to see how it turns out

I take a bariatric-specific chewable Multi-Vitamin (I'm in Aus, so it would be a similar thing to what Bariatric Pal offers). Then I add a B12, Iron +C, Vitamin D, and my hair Nails Skin + collagen support supplement. The multi has the Calcium I need, though I have a calcium supplement on hand anyway.

My dietician is happy with all that, and my labs are great.

I am coming up on my 1 year (next month) post-op. I take a comprehensive blood test every 3 months. The Vitamins I have been using is the PatchAid multivitamin with Iron (daily patch), and in the evening I take one Barimelt ADEK. I also have collagen in my coffee in the morning and take 1 or 2 Bariatric Advantage calcium chews a day. For my Hair loss, I started viviscal awhile ago.

18 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Do you take an additional Iron supplement with that? Have you had labs?? I think that taking the lower Iron dose like that would help a lot of people who have issues with it but would worry that their iron may get low if they didn’t take a separate dose of iron.

I take the same Vitamin as @liveaboard15. The first month after surgery, I took the one with 45mg of iron because I have anemia and lost quite a bit of blood during surgery. After that, I switched to the one with 18mg of iron (which is the same amount of iron that was in my normal multivitamin that I took pre surgery) and my iron is holding steady at the lower end of normal (which is actually awesome for me, since like I said, I have anemia and always struggle with it). If you have severe anemia (mine is moderate) then you would probably want the one with 45mg of iron ongoing. Mild to moderate can do the 18, and none could do the 18 or even one without, if their doctor says it's ok (I don't recommend that unless they get enough iron from their food, but only their doc can decide that for sure).

2 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I take the same Vitamin as @liveaboard15. The first month after surgery, I took the one with 45mg of Iron because I have anemia and lost quite a bit of blood during surgery. After that, I switched to the one with 18mg of iron (which is the same amount of iron that was in my normal Multivitamin that I took pre surgery) and my iron is holding steady at the lower end of normal (which is actually awesome for me, since like I said, I have anemia and always struggle with it). If you have severe anemia (mine is moderate) then you would probably want the one with 45mg of iron ongoing. Mild to moderate can do the 18, and none could do the 18 or even one without, if their doctor says it's ok (I don't recommend that unless they get enough iron from their food, but only their doc can decide that for sure).

Hummmm. This sorta makes you wonder why they recommend 45mg for someone with no issues with iron to begin with. I bet the excess is like so many Vitamins that we just pee it away. That would make it easier for them to just go with the higher dose for everyone.

3 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Hummmm. This sorta makes you wonder why they recommend 45mg for someone with no issues with Iron to begin with. I bet the excess is like so many Vitamins that we just pee it away. That would make it easier for them to just go with the higher dose for everyone.

Actually, too much iron can cause nausea, vomiting, and turn your poop black. Not sure why anyone would tell someone who doesn't need it to take that much iron.

12 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Actually, too much Iron can cause nausea, vomiting, and turn your poop black. Not sure why anyone would tell someone who doesn't need it to take that much iron.

Well I’m not anemic or anything and I was told to take 45mg but I’m 16 months out and labs are still great so I guess I needed it then.

2 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Well I’m not anemic or anything and I was told to take 45mg but I’m 16 months out and labs are still great so I guess I needed it then.

You can try lowering it to the 18 and see how things go. Too much Iron can also cause pretty bad Constipation. But if you aren't having any issues, then I guess go ahead and keep taking that done :)

10 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

You can try lowering it to the 18 and see how things go. Too much Iron can also cause pretty bad constipation. But if you aren't having any issues, then I guess go ahead and keep taking that done :)

Yea I don’t have any issues with Constipation or anything else you mentioned. I’m pretty sure 45mg is where my clinic starts most people though. It’s in a book that they gave me in the very beginning that unless told otherwise we needed 45mg.