Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 8 years out from my sleeve and have had GERD since. It has progressively gotten worse. They found a fairly large hiatal hernia. Initially my doc was recommending the bypass conversion but he was concerned it would cause more problems for me since I really don’t have that much more to lose. I had a hernia repair surgery on 7/26 and was told I actually had two! They fixed the hernias, stitched the diaphragm where the esophagus passes, and placed a dissolvable mesh wrap. I am on full liquids until my follow up on 8/10. Overall, I think I did better post op with the sleeve as physically it’s been pretty rough. I was told to quit taking my PPIs and haven’t needed them so I’m hopeful that this will work. He said we can keep the bypass as a last resort but my BMI is down to 26.3 so I don’t think it’s truly an option. I also think if I had known what the past 8 years would be like I may have just opted for bypass from the beginning.

On 08/06/2022 at 17:12, lolarose13 said:

Hi! do you mind telling me what your insurance is? I have Aetna, and I have a feeling this is going to happen with me since I have GERD and EGD only showed a Hiatal hernia.

Hey! I have BCBS. I was fortunate when I called my insurance company to get a representative who had just recently had gastric bypass surgery so she was incredibly helpful! She said it was not uncommon to be denied initially and that my doctor could either do a peer-to-peer call with one of their doctors or my doctors office could order some other tests to document the hiatal hernia further. Once that was done they could re-file and most likely I would be approved. So I haven’t given up hope yet! 😁

On 08/07/2022 at 02:57, Dogmom68 said:

Hey! I have BCBS. I was fortunate when I called my insurance company to get a representative who had just recently had gastric bypass surgery so she was incredibly helpful! She said it was not uncommon to be denied initially and that my doctor could either do a peer-to-peer call with one of their doctors or my doctors office could order some other tests to document the hiatal hernia further. Once that was done they could re-file and most likely I would be approved. So I haven’t given up hope yet! 😁

I got denied yesterday by Aetna. They changed their rules, and now they want 24 abnormal PH reflux monitoring to prove my “GERD.” Gosh, I hope my doctor tells them about the hernia, and we can get approved because of that or get that surgery + the bypass. How big was your hernia? Mine is 4cm, which is big (I imagine) since I’m a very small person. Wish me luck!

On 08/19/2022 at 09:37, lolarose13 said:

I got denied yesterday by Aetna. They changed their rules, and now they want 24 abnormal PH reflux monitoring to prove my “GERD.” Gosh, I hope my doctor tells them about the hernia, and we can get approved because of that or get that surgery + the bypass. How big was your hernia? Mine is 4cm, which is big (I imagine) since I’m a very small person. Wish me luck!

I’m so sorry your insurance denied your surgery. If your doctor will submit for a hiatal hernia repair then I’m sure you would be approved. That’s what mine did and I found out yesterday that I’m approved for the repair. I do, however, have to pay out of pocket for the bypass portion. I’m not sure how large my hernia is but I think your insurance should approve you regardless of the size. Talk to the surgery scheduler at your doctors office on Monday and see if she can submit for the hernia repair. My out of pocket for the bypass was $2600 which we went ahead and paid. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope you’ll get your approval!! Keep us posted! 💕

How is everything going now? I am 3 1/2 months out from my sleeve and for the first time in my life, I started having HORRIBLE gerd symptoms 2 days ago. I'm uncomfortable during the day, but at night is when I'm in agony. I'm on 40mg of Omeprazole for 6 months because of the surgery, so I'm shocked this is happening. I made a post titled "Is this GERD?" because I literally have never felt anything like this before and it's freaking me out. I'm scared that if GERD is starting 3 1/2 months out from surgery, I'm going to have to be miserable for years before I can be approved for a revision. And I thought bypass was kind of the gold standard for eliminating GERD, and now I'm nervous having read a few threads on here about people getting the bypass and developing GERD after, or getting it because of GERD and it not going away.

I’m so sorry your insurance denied your surgery. If your doctor will submit for a hiatal hernia repair then I’m sure you would be approved. That’s what mine did and I found out yesterday that I’m approved for the repair. I do, however, have to pay out of pocket for the bypass portion. I’m not sure how large my hernia is but I think your insurance should approve you regardless of the size. Talk to the surgery scheduler at your doctors office on Monday and see if she can submit for the hernia repair. My out of pocket for the bypass was $2600 which we went ahead and paid. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope you’ll get your approval!! Keep us posted! [emoji177]
My dr. Told me how he was going to write it up to get it approved for the hiatal hernia and to bypass.And I got approved and didn't have to go back through all that paperwork again, My surgery is sept.16 2022 I'm so happy !!! This Gerd get on my nerves I've never had this.

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 08/20/2022 at 02:51, lavette43 said:

My dr. Told me how he was going to write it up to get it approved for the hiatal hernia and to bypass.And I got approved and didn't have to go back through all that paperwork again, My surgery is sept.16 2022 I'm so happy !!! This Gerd get on my nerves I've never had this.

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m SO happy for you!!! Thank goodness everything worked out well. Let the countdown begin! 😁💕

5 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

How is everything going now? I am 3 1/2 months out from my sleeve and for the first time in my life, I started having HORRIBLE gerd symptoms 2 days ago. I'm uncomfortable during the day, but at night is when I'm in agony. I'm on 40mg of Omeprazole for 6 months because of the surgery, so I'm shocked this is happening. I made a post titled "Is this GERD?" because I literally have never felt anything like this before and it's freaking me out. I'm scared that if GERD is starting 3 1/2 months out from surgery, I'm going to have to be miserable for years before I can be approved for a revision. And I thought bypass was kind of the gold standard for eliminating GERD, and now I'm nervous having read a few threads on here about people getting the bypass and developing GERD after, or getting it because of GERD and it not going away.

I'm sorry you're dealing with GERD already! Been there, done that. It's a MISERABLE way to live. And I lived that way for several years. It gets to a point that the best prescription GERD meds can't touch it. Google foods to avoid when you have GERD, there's several: fatty foods, dairy, chocolate, tomatoes, citrus, alcohol, caffeine, carbonated beverages, mint, etc. You may try sleeping propped up or in a recliner, that's what I had to do. I'd say reach out to your surgeon and get prescription reflux meds and see what the surgeon says about how to treat it going forth. Are you okay with revising to bypass?

GERD is common after lap band and sleeve since your tummy is operating under a high pressure system. And I know tons of sleeve/band patients have told their stories on here, just as I have. I told my story hoping to help prevent another person from choosing a high pressure weight loss procedure and make a better choice. The lap band permanently altered my esophagus, and I have dysmotility and nerve damage. It caused me to develop GERD along with bile reflux. If I stayed that course I was destined for Barrett's esophagus and possibly esophageal cancer.

I hope this reaches at least one person considering the sleeve. I know GERD doesn't happen to everyone who gets a sleeve, but if GERD and revision and another 2 week pre-op diet doesn't sound like something you'd be keen to experience, please reconsider getting a sleeve. It's not the only weight loss surgery option out there.

@SleeveDiva2022 I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon!

Edited by I♡BypassedMyPhatAss♡

5 hours ago, I♡BypassedMyPhatAss♡ said:

I'm sorry you're dealing with GERD already! Been there, done that. It's a MISERABLE way to live. And I lived that way for several years. It gets to a point that the best prescription GERD meds can't touch it. Google foods to avoid when you have GERD, there's several: fatty foods, dairy, chocolate, tomatoes, citrus, alcohol, caffeine, carbonated beverages, mint, etc. You may try sleeping propped up or in a recliner, that's what I had to do. I'd say reach out to your surgeon and get prescription reflux meds and see what the surgeon says about how to treat it going forth. Are you okay with revising to bypass?

GERD is common after lap band and sleeve since your tummy is operating under a high pressure system. And I know tons of sleeve/band patients have told their stories on here, just as I have. I told my story hoping to help prevent another person from choosing a high pressure weight loss procedure and make a better choice. The lap band permanently altered my esophagus, and I have dysmotility and nerve damage. It caused me to develop GERD along with bile reflux. If I stayed that course I was destined for Barrett's esophagus and possibly esophageal cancer.

I hope this reaches at least one person considering the sleeve. I know GERD doesn't happen to everyone who gets a sleeve, but if GERD and revision and another 2 week pre-op diet doesn't sound like something you'd be keen to experience, please reconsider getting a sleeve. It's not the only weight loss surgery option out there.

@SleeveDiva2022 I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon!

I'm going to call on Monday and see if I can get in to see my surgeon or the NP. The burning in my throat is constant now and I have zero desire to eat because everything either makes me really nauseous or triggers a BRUTAL reaction (pain, intense burning in my stomach, chest, and throat, nausea, shortness of breath, PAIN). I had my gallbladder out in 97 so I know it's not that. I'm going to try OTC Nexium (comes in 20mg but I'm going to buy extras and take 40mg) for about a week to see if it helps at all. The 40mg of Omeprazole isn't helping. I thought about taking it in the morning and at night, but I want to run that by my doctor first. If the Nexium doesn't help, and if taking one of them 2x a day doesn't help, I will absolutely do a revision to bypass. I'll figure it out with the pills, but I'm on day 3 of this and I can't do it. It's horrible. It's like everything and nothing triggers it. I don't know how people live like this.

4 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I'm going to call on Monday and see if I can get in to see my surgeon or the NP. The burning in my throat is constant now and I have zero desire to eat because everything either makes me really nauseous or triggers a BRUTAL reaction (pain, intense burning in my stomach, chest, and throat, nausea, shortness of breath, PAIN). I had my gallbladder out in 97 so I know it's not that. I'm going to try OTC Nexium (comes in 20mg but I'm going to buy extras and take 40mg) for about a week to see if it helps at all. The 40mg of Omeprazole isn't helping. I thought about taking it in the morning and at night, but I want to run that by my doctor first. If the Nexium doesn't help, and if taking one of them 2x a day doesn't help, I will absolutely do a revision to bypass. I'll figure it out with the pills, but I'm on day 3 of this and I can't do it. It's horrible. It's like everything and nothing triggers it. I don't know how people live like this.

Yeah contact them Monday and advocate for your health, don't let them put you off. I'm not saying your surgeon would do that, but don't back down if they don't seem concerned at first. You need to get the problem corrected, rather than depending on PPI's like Omeprazole, because they have a lot of side effects if you're on them long term. I developed a kidney stone from them, so I know first hand what a pain the whole GERD/PPI situation is.

Best wishes!

On 08/20/2022 at 12:05, SleeveDiva2022 said:

You absolutely need to contact your surgeon ASAP! I developed terrible GERD about 6 months after my VSG and have been living with it for about a year. It truly is horrible. My heart goes out to you. I wonder if you have a severe hiatal hernia which would cause your extreme reaction. Regardless, please call your doctor as soon as they open in the morning! You sound like you would be a prime candidate for a revision to your surgery. I really hope things get better. Please keep us posted.🙏🏻💕💕

I am so glad to see I am not alone. 8 years post op with a sleeve. My reflux apparently was responsible for me losing my tonsils, losing 3 teeth and now having chronic sinus infections. I couldnt have imagined it would be from the acid reflux from the sleeve. I am in process for getting approved for a bypass conversion and if it relieves the symptoms then i am a happy camper. Just glad to know I am not a freak 😂

Yeah contact them Monday and advocate for your health, don't let them put you off. I'm not saying your surgeon would do that, but don't back down if they don't seem concerned at first. You need to get the problem corrected, rather than depending on PPI's like Omeprazole, because they have a lot of side effects if you're on them long term. I developed a kidney stone from them, so I know first hand what a pain the whole GERD/PPI situation is.
Best wishes!
This this this.

It has been over a year since my revision and my quality of life has improved so much. I sometimes wonder how many years I have stripped off my life expectancy from the pain and lack of sleep I experienced for years because I tried to rely on PPIs, H2 blockers and more instead of just getting a revision right away.

On 08/19/2022 at 19:27, Dogmom68 said:

I’m so sorry your insurance denied your surgery. If your doctor will submit for a hiatal hernia repair then I’m sure you would be approved. That’s what mine did and I found out yesterday that I’m approved for the repair. I do, however, have to pay out of pocket for the bypass portion. I’m not sure how large my hernia is but I think your insurance should approve you regardless of the size. Talk to the surgery scheduler at your doctors office on Monday and see if she can submit for the hernia repair. My out of pocket for the bypass was $2600 which we went ahead and paid. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope you’ll get your approval!! Keep us posted! 💕

So I appealed to Aetna, and they still said no. Thankfully my husband changed jobs, so I moved to his insurance, and now I have Anthem! I looked at their guidelines, which seem much more straightforward than Aetna's. My doctor will submit everything again today.

Unfortunately, my doctor only will perform the surgery if they approve me for the bypass and not the hernia repair, so I’m hoping this works! Wish me luck! 🍀 I’m so tired of going through the hoops, and I’m feeling horrible, so I need this so bad 😭

On 9/14/2022 at 12:18 AM, Tomo said:

This this this.

It has been over a year since my revision and my quality of life has improved so much. I sometimes wonder how many years I have stripped off my life expectancy from the pain and lack of sleep I experienced for years because I tried to rely on PPIs, H2 blockers and more instead of just getting a revision right away.

This is why I've said to people who opt for the sleeve and say they never would get a bypass to think twice about it. If you end up with GERD you sort of have no choice except to revise to bypass (if you want a decent quality of life free of GERD) it's just something to think about. If you absolutely are deadset against ever getting a bypass, then think hard about getting a sleeve as well. There's no guarantee that you won't end up with GERD... and revision to bypass.