Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medication absorbtion

Hello!

Anybody on drug regiment not related to bariatric surgery and had any problems with post op? I've read some studies and it seems there shouldn't be much problem with sleeve

I have bipolar so taking medication and maintaining dosages is critical for me

I had a long convo with my surgeon and I am really not any more informed. I specifically asked about this, for reasons of birth control!

He says medications absorb while traveling through the small intestine so they absorb normal. BUT then he prescribes Ursoldol (or how ever it is spelled) to help prevent gall bladder problems during weight loss and when I got home and read the visit notes and instructions it specifically said to "take Ursodol by itself to insure proper absorption"

So I asked, and he said it is more of taking a bunch of meds together that may cause you not to absorb all of each actual medicine.

I don't really know, I take it alone most of the time as he stated.. but I am SO PARANOID about this with the birth control.

I have no desire for kids... I have had custody of my nieces and nephew and all it did was validate my feelings of not wanting kids. Don't get me wrong I love them to death, but I love to send them home too. haha

I ranted and probably didn't help, sorry.

I have bipolar disorder and I’m on a mood stabilizer and an antidepressant. I did have to change one Med pre surgery because it requires that you take it with 350 calories to absorb properly which of course we can’t do right away post surgery. That’s a pretty uncommon situation though according to my pharmacist (it will say in the literature if a minimum calorie amount is required). The extended release medications seem to cause the most issues for people, if anything, post sleeve (some have no issues with those even). I haven’t had any issues with my medications. I am 16 months out.

Absorption for Sleeve folks should theoretically remain unchanged. Ultimately, your digestive system has not actually changed, you stomach has just been reduced in size.

For Bypass folks, we no longer have a meaningful pyloric valve as a small part of our intestines have been bypassed including the Pyloric Valve. So, any meds drop straight through our stomach (pouch) directly into our intestines.

Many time release mechanisms count on the medication sitting in the stomach, at least in part, for a time. Since these now don't sit in the stomach and go into and through the intestines before the time-release mechanisms can do their thing, some time released medications just don't do their thing as much.

Initially it was trial and error: if time released works, great. If not, I can 'time release' them myself by taking normal release through the day. As I age I just don't bother with trial and error and assume time release won't work.

For me there are some time release things that work such as slow-FE which is time released Iron may not work optimally, but it works well enough to keep my iron levels in the green. I've been doing it for years and see no point in changing.

Time released pain meds, on the other hand, just don't have any effect, so no time release pain meds for me.

Then there are the important meds that one doesn't generally feel an effect. Generally my Docs don't want to take a chance, and since I already do my own time release with other meds they have no issue adding others to the morning, noon, and night routine I already have on meds.

A lot of this stuff is personal experience.

Good luck,

Tek

1 minute ago, roses4rome said:

Thanks for sharing your experience!

That's lurasidone that needs to be taken with 350klc. Great to know the area no major issues

It was Latuda (that could be the scientific name).

it's more an issue for bypass patients than for sleeve patients.

I take some general medications for cholesterol and blood pressure. My surgeon mentioned that after I have the surgery, he would order blood tests to check my levels to decide if those medicines are still needed. I will also consult with my primary care physician about it.