Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 40 AND BMI over 50 - need inspo!

Anyone who is over 40 and has a BMI over 50? Looking for someone in similar circumstances to me, so I can get an idea of what to expect in terms of weight loss.

Even better if you have a success story!! Starting to feel real nervous over here, surgery date is approaching so fast ...

I was 45 when I had Gastric Bypass. I weighed about 1/4 ton over what I should. I lost all my excess weight and then some.

My proudest achievements are that I've run 5 marathons. I got to run across the Golden Gate Bridge, with a broken rib but that's a story of it's own.

I've gone horseback riding on vacation which was a dream of my spouse's. I've kayaked on vacation also. All things I never even dreamt of doing.

My dreams pre-op were more basic: Bathing in a bathtub. With my spouse. Rolling over in bed without the 3 step roll. Not breaking chairs.

Going from 6x to no x's. I'm able to buy clothes off the shelf. From not flying to flying in coach. To having to choose restaurants that had strong chairs, to sitting anywhere including booths, chairs, folding chairs.

At this point it's hard to remember everything. I would have thought this impossible and would think anyone saying this was simply boasting, but here I am.

Don't get me wrong, there have been downsides... They don't come to mind, but they've been there ;)

Good luck,

Tek

I was 49 when I had my VSG and had a BMI of 50.7. Three years later at 52 my BMI is now 24.6. Life could not be any better! I’m happy, healthy, and active. Shopping is delightful! I could not have made a better decision for myself, my only regret is not doing it sooner.

2 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

I was 45 when I had Gastric Bypass. I weighed about 1/4 ton over what I should. I lost all my excess weight and then some.

My proudest achievements are that I've run 5 marathons. I got to run across the Golden Gate Bridge, with a broken rib but that's a story of it's own.

I've gone horseback riding on vacation which was a dream of my spouse's. I've kayaked on vacation also. All things I never even dreamt of doing.

My dreams pre-op were more basic: Bathing in a bathtub. With my spouse. Rolling over in bed without the 3 step roll. Not breaking chairs.

Going from 6x to no x's. I'm able to buy clothes off the shelf. From not flying to flying in coach. To having to choose restaurants that had strong chairs, to sitting anywhere including booths, chairs, folding chairs.

At this point it's hard to remember everything. I would have thought this impossible and would think anyone saying this was simply boasting, but here I am.

Don't get me wrong, there have been downsides... They don't come to mind, but they've been there ;)

Good luck,

Tek

I don’t think a marathon is in the cards for me, but wow, it’s amazing that you did!!

any tips for a noob who’s about to start this journey?

I was 48 when I had my surgery 2 years ago (July 23rd), and my BMI was 69.9. I have lost 205 pounds, and I'm still losing VERY slowly. My BMI is 33 now. Of course I'd like to get to a normal BMI, but I am pretty comfortable and happy where I am now. I am hoping to lose about 20 more, but since it's going so slow now I am not sure if I will.
Anyway, I turn 51 next month and I couldn't be happier with my weight loss. I feel like a teenager again!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

I had gastric bypass at age 56. I started at 373 lbs and got down to a low of 138. Have since put on a few lbs (which is very common after you hit your lowest weight - most people have a 10-20 lb rebound), but then my weight stabilized. Have been pretty stable ever since.

Edited by catwoman7

I was an ancient, disabled 62 year old and in 7 months I have lost 100+ lbs and got off my BP meds, am not diabetic anymore and can walk briskly without a stick and have my independence back. Every day is a new sunny day for me, even when its raining! I only wish that I could have afforded this surgery 20 years ago.

I am 38 and started with a BMI of 57! Three and a half months post op my BMI is now 43!

I am not far enough out to talk about long term success but as far as I am concerned (and my team), right now I am killin' it!

I had an easy recovery and easily slipped through each phase and into my new normal life. I wish I did it 10 years ago. My surgery was extensive, basically 3 surgeries in 1. (Bypass, Hernia repair and esophagus repair and "trimming" due to damage from the years of GERD.... Took about 5 hours.

I know everyone is different, but I also know positive stories help when people have the jitters.

I was/am pretty healthy. My only medical issues were high blood pressure and severe GERD. So I didn't have a lot of risk with surgery other than the normal risks that just come with any surgery.

My surgery was extensive, basically 3 surgeries in 1.

PS: Bypass seems to have cured my GERD!

You got this! Relax and enjoy the ride, it is so rewarding when you see your efforts paying off!

9 hours ago, MrsPinedo said:

I don’t think a marathon is in the cards for me, but wow, it’s amazing that you did!!

any tips for a noob who’s about to start this journey?

1. Stay off the scale. It's a tool of the devil to destroy your spirit and mess with your mind. Your plan will work without getting on a scale;

2. Stay on plan. Be a plan nazi. Follow the (hopefully rational) rules all the time. Make your rules your new normal where following your plan is as normal as breathing. In my opinion, this shouldn't be another crash diet, it should be learning a new way to eat for life; I had WLS to never be on a crash diet again and here I am having never been on a crash diet again;

3. Don't do what you can't sustain. For me, I know I couldn't sustain going to a gym, so I didn't do it. Of course, running is one of those things I wouldn't have thought I could sustain, but after I lost a few hundred pounds I challenged myself to complete the couch to 5K program. I enjoyed it so much it turned into binge running. So...

4. Be open to trying new things, but don't be a slave to them; I never thought I would get into binge running, but for me it was like meditating. I would listen to audio books and just let my mind go with the story. It set the tone for the day; Unfortunately, carrying 1/4 ton extra pounds around for a lot of years takes it's tolls on the knees;

5. Stay off the scale; Honest, read the posts here, easily half of them are people fussing about the scale; I only weighed at monthly Follow-ups and I never saw a stall. It helped that I was too large for a home scale. Eventually I could weigh at home and for a couple weeks I weighed at home! A few times a day, just because I could. Then I stopped. Even now I don't weigh at home, but only at annual physicals;

6. The first weeks may be painful and difficult in ways you haven't imagined. Or you may sail through without any issues at all. Or something between. Be resolved that you will not worry about them until they occur then deal with them knowing that this too shall pass. Just get through it with your natural style and grace;

Good luck,

Tek

2 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

1. Stay off the scale. It's a tool of the devil to destroy your spirit and mess with your mind. Your plan will work without getting on a scale;

2. Stay on plan. Be a plan nazi. Follow the (hopefully rational) rules all the time. Make your rules your new normal where following your plan is as normal as breathing. In my opinion, this shouldn't be another crash diet, it should be learning a new way to eat for life; I had WLS to never be on a crash diet again and here I am having never been on a crash diet again;

3. Don't do what you can't sustain. For me, I know I couldn't sustain going to a gym, so I didn't do it. Of course, running is one of those things I wouldn't have thought I could sustain, but after I lost a few hundred pounds I challenged myself to complete the couch to 5K program. I enjoyed it so much it turned into binge running. So...

4. Be open to trying new things, but don't be a slave to them; I never thought I would get into binge running, but for me it was like meditating. I would listen to audio books and just let my mind go with the story. It set the tone for the day; Unfortunately, carrying 1/4 ton extra pounds around for a lot of years takes it's tolls on the knees;

5. Stay off the scale; Honest, read the posts here, easily half of them are people fussing about the scale; I only weighed at monthly Follow-ups and I never saw a stall. It helped that I was too large for a home scale. Eventually I could weigh at home and for a couple weeks I weighed at home! A few times a day, just because I could. Then I stopped. Even now I don't weigh at home, but only at annual physicals;

6. The first weeks may be painful and difficult in ways you haven't imagined. Or you may sail through without any issues at all. Or something between. Be resolved that you will not worry about them until they occur then deal with them knowing that this too shall pass. Just get through it with your natural style and grace;

Good luck,

Tek

You nailed it! Well said!

I am over 40 with over a 60 BMI… I under the struggle and hope to have surgery in October. I am working on my food issues which got me here. It’s tough but worth it!

On 7/6/2022 at 6:07 PM, MrsPinedo said:

Anyone who is over 40 and has a BMI over 50? Looking for someone in similar circumstances to me, so I can get an idea of what to expect in terms of weight loss.

Even better if you have a success story!! Starting to feel real nervous over here, surgery date is approaching so fast ...

I was 46 when I had the surgery with a BMI of 43 (a little ways lower than BMI 50, but still).

And since you asked, how’s this for some inspo:

(taken 6+ months ago)

Today, im BMI 21.8 and am looking at 50 yrs old just around the corner.

Edited by ms.sss

On 7/7/2022 at 4:11 AM, kcuster83 said:

I am 38 and started with a BMI of 57! Three and a half months post op my BMI is now 43!

I am not far enough out to talk about long term success but as far as I am concerned (and my team), right now I am killin' it!

I had an easy recovery and easily slipped through each phase and into my new normal life. I wish I did it 10 years ago. My surgery was extensive, basically 3 surgeries in 1. (Bypass, Hernia repair and esophagus repair and "trimming" due to damage from the years of GERD.... Took about 5 hours.

I know everyone is different, but I also know positive stories help when people have the jitters.

I was/am pretty healthy. My only medical issues were high blood pressure and severe GERD. So I didn't have a lot of risk with surgery other than the normal risks that just come with any surgery.

My surgery was extensive, basically 3 surgeries in 1.

PS: Bypass seems to have cured my GERD!

You got this! Relax and enjoy the ride, it is so rewarding when you see your efforts paying off!

100 in 3 months is unbelievable - way to make the most of the tool you've been given!! Super inspiring!

On 7/7/2022 at 6:09 AM, The Greater Fool said:

Good luck,

Tek

This is all beyond helpful, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time.

It's really helping me get my mind right even in the pre-op phase of this journey.

On 7/8/2022 at 6:26 AM, KimA-GA said:

I am over 40 with over a 60 BMI… I under the struggle and hope to have surgery in October. I am working on my food issues which got me here. It’s tough but worth it!

Best of luck to you! The struggle is so very real.