Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeries The Week Of December 17

I was banded on 12/19. Is the weird feeling in my chest normal? It feels like something in my esphagus. I don't feel it all the time. Mainly at night. It doesn't hurt, just feels odd. I can get liquids and yogurt down fine. Tomorrow I get to advance to applesauce and pudding.

Also, I have a bruise the size of my whole hand around the port site. Anyone else have this issue?

Well i did it. In some pain not too much. I just hate pain period. i was banded on 12/20/07. I started to check out of the hospital because I was scared as hell but the nurse really helped calm me down. The flight was horrible everyone eating buckets of fries, big fat burgers and huge sandwhiches. Man I am wondering if I have done the right thing. Need to go walk will write back soon.

Had mine on Thursday. I'm sore, really sore, but I expected to be. I have a 15 month old and his daddy has had to be his total caretaker the last few days and I miss picking him up and hugging him. First day of full liquids and it's taking me all morning to get an Atkins shake down. I think I'll make some egg drop Soup today, that sounds really good.

I have a general question. I was banded on the 18th and it seemed to go fine but..I lost 5 pounds since my banding wbich I would normally be thrilled with, but then I read about people losing 16 lbs or more like a week after! Is this possible? Do people include their pre op diet weight loss on their tickers? Instead of being excited I look at others huge losses ad I feel like I'll never get there!

Aimee

I have a general question. I was banded on the 18th and it seemed to go fine but..I lost 5 pounds since my banding wbich I would normally be thrilled with, but then I read about people losing 16 lbs or more like a week after! Is this possible? Do people include their pre op diet weight loss on their tickers? Instead of being excited I look at others huge losses ad I feel like I'll never get there!

Aimee

Each person might count their weight loss from a different starting place. Some Dr's require a two week opitfast/medifaast type diet and some don't.

I weighed 216 at my preop phsical appt ( 2 weeks before sx). I was on a liquid diet for a few days before surgery. Day of surgery I weighed 212. I know some of that was Water weight, so it's kind of hard to know where to start)

The important thing is you ( and I) went DOWN! I also lost some on the post-op diet, but was probably dehydrated and had no salt on my clear liquid diet. When I first ate Soup with salt, I went up 2 pounds and since then have lost that.

It's a process. Believe me, I understand that we expect the weight to just drop off and for some it will and for others, it will just be slower.

LOL, Am I trying to convince YOU or ME that it will take time!

Aimee

Hi Aimee,

I was banded the same day as you and as of this morning I'm down about 7.5 pounds... most of that is simply because I can not stomach eating anything. I'm mostly surviving on Water and less than 200 calories a day because of nausea. I am sure once I can get my calories in I will quickly stabalize. Don't worry about weight loss right now... just focus on healing. :-)

Well today is a hella lot better than the last few have been. I had to cheat ya'll the broth just has'nt been doin it for me. Last night and this morning I ate a pack of instant grits (very runny) but some substance. I was on the liquid diet for 2 weeks before surgery and lost 15lbs but have not lost any additional weight since my surgery 12/20/07. I am wondering if it's all the gas? Well this is what I wanted so I guess I just sit back and see how it goes. Hope everyone is well talk with you soon.

I had mine on Dec 19th, I have been in pain everyday since. And the discouraging part, I am starving. The pain is so strong it wakes me up at night. I am afraid to stretch the pouch, I just dont know why I feel so sick.

Hi our banding was the same day. I am so hungry I am already worried that I have stretched my pouch. Really haven't had much to drink and haven't eaten anything. It got me down more than I expected. Maybe I will try applesauce tomorrow. The hunger pains wake me up.

I was banded on the 21st. I lost 19 pounds during my 2 week liquid but haven't really lost anything since. It will come off I'm sure (I hope). My problem was as soon as I woke up in the surgery recovery room, I got my period. Think about all the surgery aches and pains and on top PMS and cramps. It wasn't that bad though, I got pain medication during my night stay and took a bit more the day I got home from hospital. No pain meds though since so Yeah!

The incisions feel painless ( no stitches, just dermabond) so I think that helps with the lack of pain. The only thing keeping me feeling 100% again is hunger pains and I think a pulling where my port is inside. I feel like a little twitch in my left side (that is where the port is right under my breast). I think I twisted last night while sleeping and pulled it more than it was used to. I'm not worried--if it gets worse, then my hypochondria will kick in, LOL!!

Nana,

Could it be gas pains that are bothering you? Does it move around your belly when you switch positions or do your hear gurgling inside?The gas has been by far the most terrible part of this surgery, in my opinion. For me, it feels like somebody is standing on top of my band. It has made it impossible to eat more than half a cup of anything all day (that's a day's total), for every day since surgery. When it builds up, I feel like I'm already stuffed to the gills and uncomfortably so. Lying down seems to make the gas worse or trap it somehow. I have had to wake up in the middle of my sleep to walk around just to get it to move.

If it's not gas pains, but rather surgical pains, I think you should take your pain meds or call your doctor. We're all different and heal at different rates, but i'm sure your doctor would not want you to be so uncomfortable that you couldn't rest, since rest is so integral to your recovery.

I feel you. I got my period the night before my surgery. I was banded on Dec. 17th. I lost about 14 lbs pre-surgery on the liquid diet and since surgery I am down 10.5 lbs. But yesterday and today have been the hardest, with all the food around. I did sneak in a few carrots, but I chewed them until there was no carrot left in them, and spit out the pulp. We will get through this, this is the difficult part. Just learning to adjust to our bands.

I had my banding on 12/19. 1 week ago today.!! looking forward to a fill. I'm pretty hungry even after I have yougart.

I just read the responses of those of us banded the week of the 17th. I was banded the morning of the 21st. I feel just fine but I've been hungry. I can't eat (drink) much though. I'm supposed to be on full liquids but just wasn't satisfied. I've lost 10 pounds since my surgery. :confused:

I had 3/4 of a scrambled egg (that I really chewed well) this morning. It was totally satisfying and I didn't feel like eating again until 4:30 this afternoon (had yogurt). Does anyone know any reason why we shouldn't eat something like a scrambled egg (i.e. is it going to screw up my band?)?

:)