Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disclaimer: I skimmed to see if I saw a similar post, and did not - so if this is a repeat, my apologies.

I just wanted to create a thread for those of us who haven't yet received the surgery, and even those that are not far out post surgery to list our hopes and goals. I was reading the thread of NSVs and thought, ya know, it might be nice to have a thread where those of us not there yet can dream and hope and plan. Something to look forward to. Something that personally keeps us moving, even as the buyers remorse after surgery threatens to take our motivation and our joy. And this is for anyone, not just a particular surgery, so I didn't pick one when I created the thread. This is not to say we won't have many sweet and unexpected NSV's post surgery - but there are specific reasons we chose this route ... things we wanted back in our lives. Maybe things we've been longing for for YEARS. So let's make those known and focus on those.

I'll go first - I have 5 big things I will be looking and waiting for:

1) Sex - for as long as I can remember I have been limited to damn near one position because of my weight. I can not WAIT to be able to experience more flexibility and be able to be more spontaneous for my husband. Poor guy has no spice in his sex life cause his wife is a whale. Sigh.

2) Booths - again, for as long as I can remember, I've had to make sure to ask for a table or ask if the tables in the booths are mobile before being seated at a restaurant. It's embarrassing.

3) Pain - Being able to stand for longer periods of time. Not have to go up or down stairs in a shuffle, having to place both feet on each stair before going further. Less back pain.

4) Medications - I want to come off my blood pressure medications. I'm on the lowest dose, twice a day. So I am hoping that shortly after surgery it will happen. That will make me feel so much better about myself and everything in general.

5) Clothes Shopping - I can't wait to get to go in any retail store and be able to find something to fit me, instead of scouring online trying to find things that fit 6x people. My wardrobe is pathetic because it is difficult to find things that large and when you do, it's usually made with such poor quality it doesn't last very long.

I'm one month and a few days out from surgery.

1) Get back to distance running. I used to run half marathons in my early 30's.

2) Go kayaking and fit comfortably in a kayak.

3) Try Stand Up Paddleboarding. There is this place that offers lessons every year where we go to vacation and I've always been too heavy for it

4) Fit comfortably in a restaurant booth

5) Fit on an amusement park rollercoaster and swing ride

6) Fit comfortably in a sporting event seat. I've missed so many football, baseball, and basketball games because I couldnt sit comfortably and it feels like a waste when you have season tickets

7) Cut my psych meds down

It’s like you read my mind on almost every point. These are also my dreams! Thanks for sharing.

The restaurant booth is one I look forward to as well. There were so many times I cringed going out to dinner for the simple thought of being put in some of the booths.
Seatbelts on planes as well. I've never had to ask for an extension but I'm ready for not having to have it fully extended to its max.
Jeans... I haven't worn them comfortably in about 4 years and I look forward to feeling good in my clothes again.

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Sunshine Princess said:

5) Fit on an amusement park rollercoaster and swing ride

Oooh I forgot about this one.

The last time I went to an amusement park was years ago at Carowinds (NC/SC). I was riding Drop Zone (tall, chairs go up, lock, and then drop you). The line is always long for this ride. We finally made it, I sat down with my friends and pulled the lock bar over my head and shoulders. The attendant comes around and locks the buckle between your legs to the lock bar. They couldn't get it to click. I had to walk off the ride and through the exit, alone, because I was too fat to ride. I never went back.

I sometimes wonder if my love for roller coasters has waned since I haven't been on one in so long. I hope not. The thrill was exhilarating! Can't wait to try again.

18 minutes ago, SHORTY_ said:

Jeans... I haven't worn them comfortably in about 4 years and I look forward to feeling good in my clothes again.

Ohh yes, jeans. God. I don't remember the last time I wasn't wearing stretchy pants. I'm seriously sitting here thinking, and I can't recall. Maybe early/mid 20s? I'm 38 now.

Imagine getting those jeans off some retail rack. Not having to hunt them down in bigger sizes!

Oooh I forgot about this one.
The last time I went to an amusement park was years ago at Carowinds (NC/SC). I was riding Drop Zone (tall, chairs go up, lock, and then drop you). The line is always long for this ride. We finally made it, I sat down with my friends and pulled the lock bar over my head and shoulders. The attendant comes around and locks the buckle between your legs to the lock bar. They couldn't get it to click. I had to walk off the ride and through the exit, alone, because I was too fat to ride. I never went back.
I sometimes wonder if my love for roller coasters has waned since I haven't been on one in so long. I hope not. The thrill was exhilarating! Can't wait to try again.
Ah, that breaks my heart. We are set to go to Disney at the end of September and the thought of that happening to me has been motivation. Most of their rides are accommodating but my daughter is small and it's so dangerous on the roller coasters when the bar doesn't meet the other person properly. It sucks the the things you plan out in your head of happening and how to avoid it. I look forward to not having to do that anymore.

All these are so good! Thank you for sharing everyone. I am 1 week post opp.

I look forward to

1. No longer needing the seatbelt extender on a plane and fitting comfortably in the seats that have the solid dividers. I am wider at the hips and I would have bruising/pain and numbness for days after (especially when flying internationally).

2. Trying any sport I want! I love being active and I am competitive but to feel the freedom to be adventurous again without significant pain. HUGE

3. CLOTHES in regular stores! periodt!

4. I agree about Roller Coasters as well. I have taken that walk.

5. Not worrying about if I will fit in a chair.

My biggest hope is to have a reduction my chronic back pain! I'd also like to get my mobility, flexibility, strength and confidence back. I'm tired of sitting around the house all the time afraid to go hardly anywhere cause I'm not sure I can manage the walk without needing to stop and sit due to pain and fatigue. Also I'd like to go back to work asap as I am currently unable to perform my job duties due to the pain when standing/walking for more than a few minutes.

My dream is to sit on a regular folding beach-chair at the beach and not having to drag that extra-heavy duty monster beach-chair down to the water's edge just for my fat *ss. And I won't even mention the act of getting up from a beach-chair! Yes, simple pleasures that most take for granted. 😎

On 9/19/2022 at 4:33 AM, Barihopeful said:

I'm tired of sitting around the house all the time afraid to go hardly anywhere cause I'm not sure I can manage the walk without needing to stop and sit due to pain and fatigue.

I felt this in my SOUL, I tell you. And it is GREAT. Post surgery now - not met all my dreams but this one has happened already. I was able to walk around Target with my fiance and bonus son without my back locking up. It was the BEST feeling. I haven't been able to walk around a store in years without pain. I can also now walk around the block of our neighborhood. There were periods I would be dying just walking from the parking lot!

On 9/19/2022 at 10:34 AM, Old Salt said:

My dream is to sit on a regular folding beach-chair at the beach and not having to drag that extra-heavy duty monster beach-chair down to the water's edge

I still use a heavy duty chair but this is a very good goal! I figure after about 50 more lbs I'll be okay using regular chairs. I hope. I may still use heavy duty just as a precaution until I mentally realize I'm smaller. Cause the mind is a troll, I tell you! The scale doesn't lie, but my minds perception of myself, DOES!