Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have NEVER had allergies. Literally allergic to NOTHING... I am not 2 months post op, and seem to have developed allergies! I am so annoyed.

I am always coughing and gagging, sneezing, my throat always hurts. I have been coughing so much my chest hurts. It is miserable!

I talked to my doctor he said since I was COVID NEGATIVE that it seems like allergies. Told me to start taking Flonase and then let him know if it doesn't help.

Seriously! Is this a coincidence?? Has anyone else developed allergies after surgery?

you could go to your primary care and get a lab order for different allergy test to see if you can find out what you are now allergic to. I did several blood test last year for certain types of food (all came back negative) but also can test for things you breath in.

If the flonase works, it's not worth all that effort. Not like I can avoid the air... haha

He said take it for a few days and give him a call back if it doesn't help and then he would go from there. This was my primary care BTW.

5 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

If the flonase works, it's not worth all that effort. Not like I can avoid the air... haha

He said take it for a few days and give him a call back if it doesn't help and then he would go from there. This was my primary care BTW.

LOL true true. I personally like to know things. I have done so many different blood test that i bought lab orders for online just because i like to know lmao

36 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

LOL true true. I personally like to know things. I have done so many different blood test that i bought lab orders for online just because i like to know lmao

If it was like something I could avoid I would do it. Like laundry soap or foods... but is it definitely "air" related. haha

1 hour ago, kcuster83 said:

I have NEVER had allergies. Literally allergic to NOTHING... I am not 2 months post op, and seem to have developed allergies! I am so annoyed.

I am always coughing and gagging, sneezing, my throat always hurts. I have been coughing so much my chest hurts. It is miserable!

I talked to my doctor he said since I was COVID NEGATIVE that it seems like allergies. Told me to start taking Flonase and then let him know if it doesn't help.

Seriously! Is this a coincidence?? Has anyone else developed allergies after surgery?

Just curious, and I don't want to sound like this is my answer to everything but are you on reflux meds, LPR (silent reflux) can present as a cough and sore throat. I am not dismissing your allergy concerns as it very well could be but could also be reflux, as allergies don't normal cause gagging or sore throats unless its what you are eating/drinking. try the meds your Dr gave you I am guessing it is something like Polaramine if that doesn't calm your cough and sore throat I would look at LPR. coughing and sore throat are classic symptoms and your sneezing could simply be just sneezing from something in the air. see how you go but worth thinking about if the allergy meds don't work.

Did you call your surgeon and ask if it’s a less common complication?? I guess it won’t make much of a difference either way but I imagine it would be good to know just for the sake of knowing.

I have allergies my whole life, I’m allergic to everything that grows. I have never coughed or gagged because of them just a whole lot of sneezing!
I think it’s something else. Was it your PCP or you bariatric doc you talked to?

I have a runny nose all the time. I never had that before my gastric bypass surgery. My surgeon said he hasn't heard that complaint before. I also sneeze repeatedly when I eat too much. He hasn't heard that complaint, either.

My thought was reflux &/or air borne allergens too. food based allergies usually don’t cause gagging or wheezing, sneezing, etc. But reflux can cause a sore throat & a dry cough. Talk to your doctor again or at least try an over the counter esomeprazole to see if that helps with the sore throat & cough.

@ Dave in houston A running nose and or sneezing can be a sign that you are full. Does it happen when you are eating or soon after ? I Re-read your comment sounds most definitely like that's your "you are full " signal.

Edited by SleeverSk

3 hours ago, SleeverSk said:

@ Dave in houston A running nose and or sneezing can be a sign that you are full. Does it happen when you are eating or soon after ? I Re-read your comment sounds most definitely like that's your "you are full " signal.

The sneezing is definitely when I'm full. The runny nose is all day long, though.

11 hours ago, Dave In Houston said:

I have a runny nose all the time. I never had that before my gastric bypass surgery. My surgeon said he hasn't heard that complaint before. I also sneeze repeatedly when I eat too much. He hasn't heard that complaint, either.

Your surgeon needs to get out more. ;)

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool
your/you're: I type gud.

My brother used to call me “Niagara Falls” after a giant waterfall because my nose ran so much. I did indeed cough and gag on the shear tonnage of mucus. Allergy meds now do the trick. This spring in the US has record pollen due to global warming/ weather. GERD feels like allergies too so I still agree with above posters. You will have to figure it out by process of elimination.

Hello,

To answer everyone's questions and concerns at once:

Yes, I spoke to my PCP.

Yes, I am on pepcid by prescription from the surgeon to prevent ulcers while healing.

Yes, I did ask about possible return of GERD/reflux. Was told with the symptoms I listed it didn't sound that way.

My wife has allergies, she wheezes and coughs every year when they hit until she gets it under control. So bad, she uses an inhaler. (Diagnosed and treated by allergy doctor)

My PCP told me to start with Flonase, I picked it up and started it Friday after work and fell 85% better already. Seems like allergies it is. I will keep using the Flonase to see if it gets me to 100% or at least 95% haha.

Thanks everyone!