Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I overdo it at the gym?

Hey, friends!

It’s already too hot in Atlanta, so I decided to join a gym and start using the treadmill, elliptical, and stationary bikes. My doctor has cleared me to use all of those and do some light weights (general rule of no lifting 15+ stands). I’m 4 weeks out from surgery as of yesterday and figured this first stall would be a good time to switch things up.

So yesterday I had my consultation that gyms generally force new members into. Explained my situation and told him what my plan was. Next thing I knew, he had me on a balance ball lifting a dumbbell (5-10 lbs) behind my head. It wasn’t super difficult, I had no trouble keeping up or breathing. Even had me do the ropes and some step-ups, both felt fine.

But now, after the fact, I’m paranoid that I overdid it. It was less than 30 minutes of continuous activity. I feel a little different in my abdominal area, but how do I know if I’ve damaged my stomach or it’s just average post-workout discomfort? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks. This surgery has turned me into such a hypochondriac! 😄

if you damaged something or tore something you would know and be in pain. Me personally i wouldnt be doing heavy lifting for a couple months. As for everything else its great. I am 4-5 weeks out and i am going out for walks, using a stationary bicycle and waiting on my actual mountain bike to come back from the shop so i can start using it. I tried jogging yesterday but that did not work out too well with all my fat still bouncing around it was a little painful so i need to loose more fat before i start jogging or wear like a compression thing around my stomach

I’m excited to get back on my bike as well. I live in a neighborhood with a ton of hardcore cyclists so it’s a little intimidating haha

Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to have to break up with this overly enthusiastic trainer until I’m 100%. Everything just happened so fast lol

A good trainer should listen when you tell them important details, like that you just had abdominal surgery. You need to be able to tell them if something hurts or you are not in condition to move forward with an exercise. It's a fine line because they are there to push you past your comfort level, but there has to be good communication and trust.

At my 2-week surgical follow-up with my surgeon, he cleared me to go back to the gym and begin lifting weights without restrictions. It was such a relief to go back!!! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• AmberFL

2 of the Biggest NSV thus far in my life; 1) my 6yr old daughter can wrap her arms around me for the first time ever! 2) My 12yr old son is having a basketball game for the parents vs. their players and I am playing with him! Its been awhile since I played basketball so I have been practicing lol but I would never had even volunteered to do this 70lbs ago! 
      This surgery has changed my life for the better!
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

That's fantastic!

• Newtransformation79

It has hit me today, as I sit in my chair at work that I don't have my belly sticking out to where it would hit the desk. Oh and I can cross my legs more comfortably. It amazes me just how much I have loss in inches vs actual pounds, I have lost 24 lbs all together. But I believe in inches all over about 3 inches. I am noticing more energy and have pep to my step. My skin is a lot clearer. My watch band is shorter by 3 notches. the little things are what I am noticing. When I bend over I don't feel out of breath or I am going to fall over ( weeble wobble). 
      I am having a hard time with my sweet tooth, it is very hard to not want to get some ice cream or chocolate. Candy I can do without. I have no craving really for that, just chocolate and ice cream. I have gone as far as taking Popsicle and putting them in my mixer with almond milk and making like ice cream with that/ sometimes I have added un-flavored protein powder. 
      I feel better everyday. The energy is great to have with having younger kids and being able to have the energy to keep up. 😃
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Manisha Sharma

Buy Dohar Set Online: Top Picks for Cozy Comfort & Style 
      Check out our top selections for cozy bedding, perfect for adding a touch of style to your bedroom while ensuring warmth and comfort. Find the best Dohar sets online for ultimate comfort and style.

Visit - https://amoliconcepts.com/product-category/throws-quilts-dohars/
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

If anyone has any advice on how to make your stomach feel better after you eat something you shouldn't have or at too fast, I would GREATLY appreciate it!! It's painful on both sides of my abdomen (like to the point I'm doubled over and using a hot water bottle in addition to medicine) and I'm really nauseous (the thought or smell of food is 🤢).
      · 0 replies
    • Mandirigma

Just wondering if any of the Type 2 Diabetics also have there blood glucose go high when having only a Premier Protein drink for breakfast?  How does Premier Protein compare to BOOST Glucose Control in your experience?
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches