Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going on 3 weeks post op and can't drink or eat anything

On 5/12/2022 at 9:35 AM, kcuster83 said:

Very odd. I have never heard of this. I am on 2 forums, in 2 support groups and on a FB bariatric page. Everyone's pr-op diet, length of post-op diets and food lists differ quite a bit from surgeon to surgeon. But, I have NEVER heard of the food phases in a different order. It's liquid, pureed, soft, solid. It doesn't even make sense as to how your stomach would tolerance "solid soft" foods before pureed.

I am not trying to be rude, or under minding but are sure you understood correctly? Didn't get mixed up? Maybe your surgeon says mushy foods as pureed? I could see mushy and pureed kind of being the same thing, but soft is soft. It is solid but soft foods.

Yep. I called again and they said they consider soft and mushy the same and pureed/chunky the same. But they also told me to go at the pace my stomach will allow, and at 18 days post op, I can eat literally anything except normal solid foods. Mushy foods, typical soft foods, pureed foods, chunky foods, all of it. Haven't tried any solids yet because I'm not brave enough, but my stomach tolerates all the rest of it fine. Cold, warm, hot, doesn't matter. And I have zero restriction now. None whatsoever. When I try a new food, I get it the first time I eat it. After that, it's gone. I still do my best to eat the smaller portions, and even though my surgeon said to eat a small meal every 3 hours 5x a day, I lowered it to 4 small meals and am going to work on lowering it again to 3 meals per day because I honestly am eating when I'm not hungry when I follow the surgeon's rule. And it seems like that's counter-productive to eat when you aren't hungry. Oh, I get hunger pains, and I can tell the difference between real hunger and head hunger (and fighting head hunger is HARD lol). I never lost the hunger hormone. So I feel like if I eat when I feel real hunger versus every 3 hours when I'm not hungry, that should work out better, right?

On 5/22/2022 at 12:53 AM, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Yep. I called again and they said they consider soft and mushy the same and pureed/chunky the same. But they also told me to go at the pace my stomach will allow, and at 18 days post op, I can eat literally anything except normal solid foods. Mushy foods, typical soft foods, pureed foods, chunky foods, all of it. Haven't tried any solids yet because I'm not brave enough, but my stomach tolerates all the rest of it fine. Cold, warm, hot, doesn't matter. And I have zero restriction now. None whatsoever. When I try a new food, I get it the first time I eat it. After that, it's gone. I still do my best to eat the smaller portions, and even though my surgeon said to eat a small meal every 3 hours 5x a day, I lowered it to 4 small meals and am going to work on lowering it again to 3 meals per day because I honestly am eating when I'm not hungry when I follow the surgeon's rule. And it seems like that's counter-productive to eat when you aren't hungry. Oh, I get hunger pains, and I can tell the difference between real hunger and head hunger (and fighting head hunger is HARD lol). I never lost the hunger hormone. So I feel like if I eat when I feel real hunger versus every 3 hours when I'm not hungry, that should work out better, right?

I am glad you got clarity on what foods are what.

I actually never get hungry, at all since surgery. I think I was hungry once, but honestly I am not even sure if that is what it was. I am lucky for that, and will take it as long as I can. haha

With that being said, I also eat when I am not hungry because I know I have to. I drink a shake for Breakfast and then eat 3 other times through the day. Staying within my serving sizes.

6 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

I actually never get hungry, at all since surgery. I think I was hungry once, but honestly I am not even sure if that is what it was. I am lucky for that, and will take it as long as I can. haha

Man, you are SO lucky!!!!! I never lost the hunger hormone at all, so it's a real struggle trying to stick to the plan. Not to mention, I get a little restriction on eggs or hummus and avocado spread, but nothing on skinless chicken drumsticks. Makes all of this really confusing and hard.

3 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Man, you are SO lucky!!!!! I never lost the hunger hormone at all, so it's a real struggle trying to stick to the plan. Not to mention, I get a little restriction on eggs or hummus and avocado spread, but nothing on skinless chicken drumsticks. Makes all of this really confusing and hard.

Best to just weigh and measure foods and then you at least know you are not over eating.

I weigh and measure everything, except if I am out. I have become quite good at estimating. I mean it wouldn't work for the long term as those little bits of calories would add up, but I test myself when measuring and I am always within .1 or .2 oz.

Plus, I am no where near my max daily calories, so even if I am off a few it is not making a difference right now. When that hunger comes back and I am maxing out calories, then it will start making a difference.

You will get it, you got it. Stay focused and patient!