Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't see the weight loss

Hi I have been reading through some of these to see if anyone has any of the same issues as me. This is the first time I'm writing anything. I had gastric bypass surgery on 12/2/21. I have had a lot of downs and some ups. I haven't seen anywhere if someone had the same complications as I had. They said that they scratch my liver but there was no bleeding so it was fine. But what actually happened was they punctured it in two places and my abdomen filled with bile and collapsed part of my lung so much pain. Then the bile came through one of the incisions. So gross. Had to go back in to surgery to see what happened that's when they found the punctures and put in a drainage tube also gross but made the pain less. I was down about a month and a half. Went through going through the motions of throwing up with nothing coming up for a month or so. Gas pains for about 2 months now I'm just super burpy which at times can be super embarrassing at times. I'm 5'6" started my journey at 290 and was 286 just before surgery and now I'm at 205 so I'm down 85 lb total and 81 since surgery December so I'm happy about that went from a size 19/20 pants and 3x shirt to a 10 in pants and medium shirt. So I know I'm doing good but there are days I look in the mirror and just can't see the weight loss. Does anyone else have this issue? I also can't stand chicken it makes me physically sick even the smell makes nauseated. Pork chops are also gross. And the crystal light I always liked can't stand. Also the only Water I can drink without getting sick is smart water. So has anyone else had any of these things? Did anyone have their liver punctured? I know I asked a lot of questions but if anyone has any info on any or all would love to hear.

32 minutes ago, Tami10 said:

there are days I look in the mirror and just can't see the weight loss. Does anyone else have this issue? I also can't stand chicken it makes me physically sick even the smell makes nauseated. Pork chops are also gross. And the crystal light I always liked can't stand. Also the only Water I can drink without getting sick is smart Water. So has anyone else had any of these things? Did anyone have their liver punctured? I know I asked a lot of questions but if anyone has any info on any or all would love to hear.

I do have days when I look in the mirror and still think I look the same. I am still not as small as I would like to be but I think I see a larger person in the reflection than I should. It’s called body dysmorphia. Some people say to take a picture of yourself and put it next to a picture of yourself pre surgery and that is supposed to help. I am fine with chicken post op. I don’t like it as much but it doesn’t make me sick or anything. I never liked pork. With crystal light I used to like fruit punch as it is but post surgery it’s too sweet so I mix it with watermelon which is not as sweet and I like it that way. I just mix up a gallon which uses two packets. No I did not have my liver punctured. That is the first I have heard of that but I bet that is why we have to do the liver shrink diet to try and help reduce that happening. I’m sorry you have gone through so much. It sounds like you should soon be in the uphill swing of things though. I have heard of people liking things post surgery that they didn’t like pre op so maybe you will like other Proteins that you didn’t like if you try them?? I know that I like fish a lot more than I did pre op but I did like it some before.

Thank you sadly I didn't take a picture of me pre op. But maybe I can find one close to then but I hated my picture taken so hopefully I have one somewhere. I searched for the liver puncture but couldn't find anyone who had that happen.

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

50 minutes ago, Tami10 said:

Thank you sadly I didn't take a picture of me pre op. But maybe I can find one close to then but I hated my picture taken so hopefully I have one somewhere. I searched for the liver puncture but couldn't find anyone who had that happen.

Any old picture where you are at your higher weight will do. The point is that it’s easier to see the difference between the two different sizes when it’s a picture for some reason than it is to see in our reflection.

So sorry you experienced those complications with your surgery which hindered your recovery.

You’re experiencing body dysmorphia. Your brain hasn’t caught up to the physical realities of your weight loss. It’s still picturing you as you were & can’t see you as you are now. A lot, if not all, of us experience this is some form. As an example, I remember seeing a slim woman’s reflection in a mirror in a store & turning around to look at her because she was wearing the same clothes as me. Time literally ticked by before I realised it was my reflection & I was the slim woman.

Comparing old & new photos helps as does putting on something you used to wear & seeing how much too big they are. Take some body measurements as well & record them so you can track those changes too.

There are some foods that just don’t sit well with us. chicken is often a challenging one because it can be too dry. Steak can be too heavy. Pork can be too fatty. And often our taste buds &/or sense of smell changes. It’s usually temporary as is the fussy tummy/food intolerances but your recovery was protracted which may be why you’re still experiencing some of these issues. Give yourself time. Don’t give up on those foods or drinks yet. Just have a break & try them again in a couple of weeks & repeat as needed.

I appreciate the response and advice. It's funny because as long as it's a lean cut of steak I handled fine enjoy it actually. I was always a steak girl but liked chicken and pork chops. But have been trying fish which I wasn't a huge fan of before but finding I'm enjoying some of it now. I also never thought what was going on was body dysmorphia. That is definitely something I'm going to look at.

I still don't see a slim person? I went shopping for jeans the other day the assistant asked what size I said I am not sure she says oh you are tiny. Tiny? Me tiny? Takes awhile to get use to I guess