Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all well.

I'm just over 4 weeks out from having my gastric bypass and I really don't feel well at all! I'm dealing with constant nausea and sickness to the point I'm struggling to take my medication.

I am only getting in about 500ml of liquid a day and I sometimes am able to eat a couple of teaspoons of Soup or yoghurt.

I was just wondering if anyone else went through this and if they had any advice? Does it get better?

I'm feeling so lightheaded at the moment too. I have spoken to my medical team and they are helping but I just wanted to hear from people who have actually gone through gastric surgery? I'm just miserable with it all which sounds ungrateful, but the constant sickness is starting to get to me mentally too.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Edited by LauraLoodles
Spelling mistake

I am 3 1/2 months out, and have struggled with nausea/queasiness every day. They say it will get better, but not yet. There ARE meds-ask your doctor! I am on two different ones, and after a couple of months, started taking more of them than prescribed--after looking them up and finding out his dosage was on the low end, and I was not going to poison myself. Call your doc-and be VOCAL!

1 minute ago, oldandtired said:

I am 3 1/2 months out, and have struggled with nausea/queasiness every day. They say it will get better, but not yet. There ARE meds-ask your doctor! I am on two different ones, and after a couple of months, started taking more of them than prescribed--after looking them up and finding out his dosage was on the low end, and I was not going to poison myself. Call your doc-and be VOCAL!

Thank you for your reply. Oh gosh! I hope you start feeling better soon and it goes!

I will definitely contact my doctor. I can't even speak to people because I start thinking I'm going to throw up. Fingers cross some meds will help!

Yes, reach out and tell your doctors that the anti-nausea meds are not working. Just be aware that some antinausea meds can cause drowsiness so be sure you ask before you drive while on them. Also, you likely feel MORE nauseous because you are dehydrated. If you can force yourself to drink more, it may actually make you feel better (or you can get a Fluid IV).

Hope it gets better soon!

I agree with @lizonaplane...I was dehydrated just after surgery and was nauseous and lightheaded. I forced myself to drink my 64 oz per day or else they were going to send me for an IV. As soon as I started to get in my fluids, I felt MUCH better.

Agreed, some of the meds do make you drowsy. BUT you are also miserable. The first meds they put me on worked a little--but how can you drink if you feel that you are going to heave after a swallow? I couldn't smell food at work. Couldn't look at food. Sat at my desk with a trash can between my legs. Even with the two meds, I stare at my pills morning and night as obstacles. I have an appointment in a week, and plan to ask him to scope me, and if you knew me, doing that is the last thing I want. So you do what you think is best.

Sorry to hear this! I had VSG and was nauseous for about two months, vomiting several times a day. Even on two anti-nausea meds. Had a swallow test to rule out a stricture. Eventually it subsided. Keep in touch with your doctor and hang in there!

did this just start recently? And is it mostly after you eat or drink something? If those things are true, it could also be a stricture. You're in the right time frame for it. Let your clinic know. If they suspect it might be that, they'll have you come in for an upper endoscopy. It's an easy fix if that's what it is. I had two of them (at four weeks out and again at about eight weeks out)

they almost always appear 1-3 months after surgery. They're very rare after the three month mark. About 5% of bypass patients get those.

That's what I am starting to believe mine may be.

19 hours ago, LauraLoodles said:

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all well.

I'm just over 4 weeks out from having my gastric bypass and I really don't feel well at all! I'm dealing with constant nausea and sickness to the point I'm struggling to take my medication.

I am only getting in about 500ml of liquid a day and I sometimes am able to eat a couple of teaspoons of Soup or yoghurt.

I was just wondering if anyone else went through this and if they had any advice? Does it get better?

I'm feeling so lightheaded at the moment too. I have spoken to my medical team and they are helping but I just wanted to hear from people who have actually gone through gastric surgery? I'm just miserable with it all which sounds ungrateful, but the constant sickness is starting to get to me mentally too.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Hi, Laura. I had really severe nausea and couldn't eat or drink. I was full of buyers remorse, I paid to suffer like this. I was miserable. I had problems over the Christmas period getting through to any doctor, due to Covid. The helpline 111 was swamped and it was a full 6 weeks before I got help. I was very wobbly, dizzy and weak I finally got help via my own doctor and got prescribed Lansoprazole capsules twice a day to begin with. I would have one in bed about 6am. It coats my stomach and really works. The second one I took about 5pm so it had time to work before my evening meal. I only take the morning one now. When I got to about 9 weeks, things really improved for me and I am getting on great now. I have occasional nausea but it passes.

I have always loved Heinz chicken Soup, so I strained it and tolerated it really well early on. I had Bovril, milk, fruit ice lollies and milky coffee when ever I could tolerate anything. TBH I have only recently reached my liquid and Protein goals. I am walking every day and getting better at it. I am 62 so a late starter at this. My husband was really worried about me early on but I think it was so worth it. No matter that I was so ill, I would do this again in a heartbeat. Ask me anything. I am here for you

18 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

Yes, reach out and tell your doctors that the anti-nausea meds are not working. Just be aware that some antinausea meds can cause drowsiness so be sure you ask before you drive while on them. Also, you likely feel MORE nauseous because you are dehydrated. If you can force yourself to drink more, it may actually make you feel better (or you can get a Fluid IV).

Hope it gets better soon!

Thank you for your advice! I'm trying to power through and drink more now. Also thanks for the warning about the meds. Waiting for the doctor to ring me back today so fingers crossed!

18 hours ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

I agree with @lizonaplane...I was dehydrated just after surgery and was nauseous and lightheaded. I forced myself to drink my 64 oz per day or else they were going to send me for an IV. As soon as I started to get in my fluids, I felt MUCH better.

Thank you for your reply! Got my big bottle of Water next to me and trying to power through it slowly. It's a relief to hear it helped you.

13 hours ago, Esi said:

Sorry to hear this! I had VSG and was nauseous for about two months, vomiting several times a day. Even on two anti-nausea meds. Had a swallow test to rule out a stricture. Eventually it subsided. Keep in touch with your doctor and hang in there!

Thank you! I'm glad things have settled for you now!

12 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

did this just start recently? And is it mostly after you eat or drink something? If those things are true, it could also be a stricture. You're in the right time frame for it. Let your clinic know. If they suspect it might be that, they'll have you come in for an upper endoscopy. It's an easy fix if that's what it is. I had two of them (at four weeks out and again at about eight weeks out)

they almost always appear 1-3 months after surgery. They're very rare after the three month mark. About 5% of bypass patients get those.

I've had nausea throughout the 4 weeks to be honest. It does get worse when I try to drink/ eat but even the smell of food is setting me off at the moment. I will speak to my medical team about it too. Hope you are all healed and okay now!

20 minutes ago, summerseeker said:

Hi, Laura. I had really severe nausea and couldn't eat or drink. I was full of buyers remorse, I paid to suffer like this. I was miserable. I had problems over the Christmas period getting through to any doctor, due to Covid. The helpline 111 was swamped and it was a full 6 weeks before I got help. I was very wobbly, dizzy and weak I finally got help via my own doctor and got prescribed Lansoprazole capsules twice a day to begin with. I would have one in bed about 6am. It coats my stomach and really works. The second one I took about 5pm so it had time to work before my evening meal. I only take the morning one now. When I got to about 9 weeks, things really improved for me and I am getting on great now. I have occasional nausea but it passes.

I have always loved Heinz chicken Soup, so I strained it and tolerated it really well early on. I had Bovril, milk, fruit ice lollies and milky coffee when ever I could tolerate anything. TBH I have only recently reached my liquid and Protein goals. I am walking every day and getting better at it. I am 62 so a late starter at this. My husband was really worried about me early on but I think it was so worth it. No matter that I was so ill, I would do this again in a heartbeat. Ask me anything. I am here for you

Hello!

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm sorry you went through all this as well but I'm so glad to hear you are doing better now.

I am definitley full of buyers remorse right now! Often feeling like why did I do this! You see so many of peoples stories and they are absolutely fine afterwards and I was sat here thinking what is going on! I'm just trying to tell myself it is still early days and hopefully things will resolve and the long term benefits of it all will outweigh everything. It is a relief to hear someone else felt the same way but now feels different. Im going through this alone and I think sometimes it's easy to get stuck in your thoughts with things.

Thank you for all your useful advice toom I will definitely give it all a go.