Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarian meat substitutes

I get enough Protein without meat I love No cow Protein Bars. If you need Protein Shake supplement Vega yea one I found I like. I am not vegan. I always ate a mix of vegetarian foods and meat but health reasons I slowly stopped eating meat. I did have eggs with a veggie burger (the actual vegetable style burger a way of getting veggies made in a way my gut could handle) Dr. Praeger's Cauliflower Burger and California Burgers have been my go to. I used to put egg on a small veggie burger. They have "Just egg" that is a vegetarian egg substitute that you can make your own scramble or omelette. There are many options not just Beans. You can take plant based omegas, Bragg Nutritional yeast, Vitamin K to name three I can think of as top supplements. Protein intake is based on body weight and activity base protein is 0.36 grams Protein per 1lb of body weight. and more based on type of diet and activity level. too much protein actually converts to sugar. I am now working through some issues not related to my surgery. but have reached goal and maintained since my surgery 2019.

How's that chickpea Pasta? I might buy some. And I'm super jealous of that plate, I used to have an Alice in Wonderland one that looked almost the same but it broke.

Kids plates are the best, not only for portions but they're just so darn cute. The Pasta is great! I tolerate Chickpeas well. It's banza shells. 13 grams of Protein per serving although I can't eat a full serving it does the trick. Just make sure to rinse it after boiling so that like sticky Gummy layer comes off. It honestly tastes better the next day too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Here's another vegetarian post op meal: 1.5 oz of cauliflower mac n cheese, 1.5 oz of beyond beef, 1 teaspoon sugar free ketchup and chipotle hot sauce on the Mac n cheese (I like spicy food). Total 3 oz of food about, 150 calories and 12 grams of Protein, 2.5 grams of carbs. I know it looks super ugly lol but it tastes great! I actually had the burger patty leftover from a restaurant. I had to go to a work dinner and I didn't want to deal with telling people why I wasn't eating so I ordered a beyond burger and ate a quarter of it (just the patty) and told everyone I was Low carb LOL anyway, the patty lasted me 3 days worth of meals so I stretched my dollar far too!20220321_130853.jpg

Just bought some puffed quinoa (although you can do it yourself) which is a great, high Protein substitute for grains, if you wanted to use it in a homemade granola or similar.

Just posting another meal here, currently waiting 10 minutes
to eat since I just had 8 oz of Water. Shakshuka! It's one of my favorite breakfasts. I cooked the hell out of the vegetables since I'm on soft foods right now. Great way to utilize leftover marinara sauce too. I can't get through a whole jar and keep wasting it. My family eats this too but I just made it for me today since I'm home alone. If you eat both eggs you get 20 grams of protein! Not sure if I can manage both eggs so we'll see. Vegetables in here: yellow squash, onion, shredded carrots. Very spicy and flavorful...just what I need. 20220323_092514.jpg 20220323_092622.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 12:28 AM, fourmonthspreop said:

Thanks! I tried tofu today and it went down well. I'm interested to see how products like gardein, tofurkey, morningstar and light life will sit in my stomach.

I was a vegetarian for 3 years before I deployed and couldn't maintain that diet without eating garbage as a replacement. I used to LOVE these Gardein chicken stuffed with spinach things. I have looked high and low for them and they're not made anymore but man were they good. They came in like single serving packages with one loaf of chicken per package.

Yum!!! I love shakshuka. And I love that the dish is so full of veggies. I hope I can handle the spice after my surgery.
Spices usually go down easy. It might be different with VSG but I got the gastric bypass and still have my hot sauce and red pepper flakes.