Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week away from changing my life

HI! I'm a 46 year old female from South Louisiana. I will be having gastric sleeve on 3/16/22. I'm currently 5'3", 245lbs and my goal weight is 145lbs. (if i lose more, that's a bonus but i felt 145 was a realistic goal.) I am insulin resistant with HBP. Thyroid disease runs rampant on both sides of my family, as does diabetes. I'm borderline Type 2 and my TSH levels are also borderline. I've tried for years to lose weight through diet and exercise. I think i tried every fad diet out there. While i would lose weight initially, the minute i was left to my own resources, the weight just piled back on. Exercise was a whole different issue that my PCP just couldn't understand. It didn't matter what i was doing or where i was doing it, after 15 minutes i began to overheat and 2x had to be taken for medical attention. (one of those times was doing nothing more than walking in my neighborhood.) My PCP always said it was my BP causing that and if I would just lose weight, it would stop. Well doc, how do you propose i do that if i can't exercise without passing out? When my employer finally started covering bariatric surgery, if certain comorbidities were met, i jumped at the chance. That is when i found out i was insulin resistant.

I'm about to hit the clear liquid stage of my pre-op diet and am very stressed. Yesterday I had issues with nausea and vomiting every time i tried to drink a Protein Shake or Protein Water. I just couldn't get it down. I hear that is normal the 1st 48-72 hours of the liquid diet but yesterday was day 5. (i was able to find the Fairlife portien shakes and those didn't make me gag.) I'm really nervous about the clear diet. Any suggestion on clear Protein Drinks that taste good and won't make me gag? (I have tried the Gatorade g2 in fruit punch and the blue one. The blue was one the only one that didn't make me gag as much. I also have tried the Protein2O and those were just awful as well.) I have found some good broths that i will try and i have the Isopure unflavored Protein Powder. I tried adding the powder to warm broth and that was a disaster.

Thanks in advance for the tips. I'm excite to start this new phase in my life and get healthy, not only for me but for my husband and kids. I beat cancer, i can't let obesity be the thing that kills me.

Congratulations on your surgery date. I tolerated the premiere Protein clear protein drinks best post surgery. I didn’t love them but they went down easier than everything else. I later discovered the Premier Protein caffe latte and I actually enjoy them to this day I have one at almost a year out every morning. They have caffeine in them though so beware of that until you are cleared for it.

51 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Congratulations on your surgery date. I tolerated the premiere Protein clear Protein Drinks best post surgery. I didn’t love them but they went down easier than everything else. I later discovered the Premier Protein caffe latte and I actually enjoy them to this day I have one at almost a year out every morning. They have caffeine in them though so beware of that until you are cleared for it.

It was the Premier Protein shakes that were making me sick. I haven't tried the Water as I can't find it anywhere in stores. I hate to buy it online only to find out it does the same thing. to me. But i will definitely be checking out the latte when i can have it. i absolutely love the Atkins mocha latte Protein Shakes. I had those for Breakfast all the time before i started the specialized pre-surgery diet.

I like the Premier Protein clear Protein Water peach flavor. It's really the only one that I've tried besides the Gatorade protein packets that you add to a bottle of water. The Premier Protein was a lot better than the Gatorade and had more protein. Like 20 grams I think.

5 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

I like the Premier Protein clear Protein Water peach flavor. It's really the only one that I've tried besides the Gatorade Protein packets that you add to a bottle of Water. The Premier Protein was a lot better than the Gatorade and had more protein. Like 20 grams I think.

Thanks. I wish I could find it local. I hate to buy a twelve pack online and not like it. I may breakdown and do it though.

6 minutes ago, wendyrlandry said:

Thanks. I wish I could find it local. I hate to buy a twelve pack online and not like it. I may breakdown and do it though.

I live in a small town so I have to order a lot of things like that to try and hate to do it as well because of the quantities I have to waste if I don’t like it is money down the drain. I finally had to just change my mindset to one that this is something that is for my health because I would try a prescription and not worry about possibly losing money. Good nutritious food is almost the same as medicine for us. I also donate what I don’t use so I don’t feel like I am wasting food. The shakes I took in to the surgery center and asked them if they could give them to someone who could use them.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Just now, ShoppGirl said:

I live in a small town so I have to order a lot of things like that to try and hate to do it as well because of the quantities I have to waste if I don’t like it is money down the drain. I finally had to just change my mindset to one that this is something that is for my health because I would try a prescription and not worry about possibly losing money. Good nutritious food is almost the same as medicine for us. I also donate what I don’t use so I don’t feel like I am wasting food.

i bit the bullet and ordered it from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow in time for me to start my clear phase on Wednesday.

Just now, WhispersOfAngel said:

I found mine at costco, but it was still a whole case.

Our costco only has the shakes

Congratulations on your surgery date! You’ve been through so much so I know you are super duper excited.
Im still on fluids I had sleeve surgery a week ago. I do like the Isopure Infusions, you can add as little or as much as you like, and I also like the Isopure zero carb zero sugar clear protein(that one is a bit pricey) but you get 32 grams in one bottle. I get them as Vitamin Shoppe

A5D80FC1-B5AD-41E6-B80F-3CDE2EB02A19.jpeg

24A3D7F2-AD28-489F-87A1-B3CAAFBFE9BE.jpeg

Edited by TheWeightisOvr

I got the Isopure unflavored powder and the Premier Protein peach Water. Both make me gag and the powder mixed with water made me throw up. I don't know what i am going to do for the next week. I am sitting in my office with the door closed crying because i am so hungry and the only think i have is that Protein water & powder, 1 can of broth, and 1 small thing of Jello. This is going to be the longest week if i have to live off of broth and jello only. I'm already super weak, i can only imagine how much weaker ill get not having the right amount of protein.

7 minutes ago, wendyrlandry said:

I got the Isopure unflavored powder and the Premier Protein peach Water. Both make me gag and the powder mixed with Water made me throw up. I don't know what i am going to do for the next week. I am sitting in my office with the door closed crying because i am so hungry and the only think i have is that Protein water & powder, 1 can of broth, and 1 small thing of Jello. This is going to be the longest week if i have to live off of broth and Jello only. I'm already super weak, i can only imagine how much weaker ill get not having the right amount of Protein.

I was able to drink the protein water so I never tried it but there are some broths out there that have protein in them. I want to say it was Unjury was the brand?? Maybe that will work for you. Don’t give up. Their are sooooo many protein products out there. You will find something. Have you asked your doctor for something for the nausea. I bet That would help too.

Edited by ShoppGirl