Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you do when you get sick?

Hi everyone!

I have not had the gastric bypass yet. I am still in my first 6 months of learning to eat healthy/dieting.

I do have a question. What do you when you get sick?
I have always been told drink ginger ale or coke with cracker, or my other got to is bread. It just seems to settle my stomach when I am sick and especially have to take meds. This town I didn’t want a shake, anything felt like it was make it worse, but the ginger ale/coke abs crackers made me feel better. Or just eating plain bread.

I just know after the gastric bypass I don’t think those would be an option or most likely not the best option.
I just don’t know what else I would do.

Thank you in Advance!

I haven't been sick since I had my surgery seven years ago. I've vomited, though - when I've eaten too much or eaten something that didn't agree with me. But once I vomit, the nausea is gone. But as far as having norovirus (often referred to as "stomach flu" - although it's not a true flu), I haven't had that in probably ten years.

vomiting is a lot easier after surgery for many of us. Your stomach is really small, so there's not much in there to vomit up - and there's a lot less acid in your stomach than there was before surgery, so you don't get that awful taste in your mouth, either.

I guess this doesn't really answer your question - maybe someone who's had norovirus since surgery can chime in...

Edited by catwoman7

My procedure was recently so I can't comment on that. But the things you mentioned don't settle the stomach. Ginger might...but ginger ale doesn't contain any. Anything low sugar, low fat and low fibre might, apple sauce, a banana, a little rice, a little toast, electrolyte beverages. That sort of thing. Perhaps coke was used as an electrolyte. It's not a good one really.

I am almost 4 years out. I still get nauseous about 5 times a week. I buy Meclizine by the bottle on Amazon. When the nausea is really bad I just take a couple of sips of ginger ale. I buy the 6 pack of small bottles so we can keep the rest for the next time.
This is really weird but I have also found the eating a spoonful of raw oatmeal settles my stomach.
There have been a few time that I have actually thrown up but that was because I ate something I shouldn’t have.

It is actually the ginger in ginger ale that settles your stomach. There are other ways to get ginger, rather than the soda. They have ginger teas, pills, roots in which you look up recipes for and make your own ginger drink.

Ginger ale typically doesn't contain any ginger. Here's the ingredients from Canada Dry as an example.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-06-at-8.21.09-PM_600x.gif

1 hour ago, Pollito said:

Ginger ale typically doesn't contain any ginger. Here's the ingredients from Canada Dry as an example.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-06-at-8.21.09-PM_600x.gif

I don't drink it so I didn't know. But ginger does settle the stomach.

11 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I haven't been sick since I had my surgery seven years ago. I've vomited, though - when I've eaten too much or eaten something that didn't agree with me. But once I vomit, the nausea is gone. But as far as having norovirus (often referred to as "stomach flu" - although it's not a true flu), I haven't had that in probably ten years.

vomiting is a lot easier after surgery for many of us. Your stomach is really small, so there's not much in there to vomit up - and there's a lot less acid in your stomach than there was before surgery, so you don't get that awful taste in your mouth, either.

I guess this doesn't really answer your question - maybe someone who's had norovirus since surgery can chime in...

I am 11 months out and just had the stomach flu and it was very interesting because my husband and I experienced the same bug (he gave it to me) differently. He vomited a lot for two days and had some occasional diarrhea. I vomited one time first thing in that morning when it started and that was it. But I had diarrhea the rest of the time non stop. I wondered if it had to do with our stomachs being different post sleeve. I will say that vomiting was a lot less unpleasant post surgery though for sure. Also, I was able to eat a few saltines at 11 months out and they sat fine which was good because that and broth were what I ate for a day. Ooh and I was able to get by without any gingeraile. I had to stay close to a toilet anyways so I just chilled and watched Netflix all day and the nausea wasn’t too bad. It was worse when you moved around ALOT.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I got a stomach bug a few months after my sleeve surgery. I just focused on fluids and keeping down what I could. This was mostly Gatorade zero and body armor lytes. When I felt I could stomach food I did stick to crackers and simple carbs. It only lasted a day or two and I was able to ease back into normal Protein dominant eating. Like most stomach bugs it was gone quickly and I don't think missing 1-2 days of hitting your goals is going to cause significant damage. I would stay away from soda and junk food but I don't think the occasional cracker to test your stomach will hurt anything.

1 hour ago, kcuster83 said:

I don't drink it so I didn't know. But ginger does settle the stomach.

It does indeed.

I am 8 weeks post op and I get nauseous almost every day. Don't worry there are a bunch of meds that the doctor can prescribe you. Don't want to take meds? That's fine, but that queasy feeling is a stressor on you. Get them, and keep them handy.

Otherwise? For me it was cheese crackers. One at a time very slowly...it may have been the salt in them.

Have to admit I’ve never had a stomach flu but I’ve had food poisoning, vertigo virus, & lactose sensitivity over the years & have Meniere’s now so I know nausea, vomiting & diarrhoea. Last thing I ever wanted to do was eat but ginger tea, electrolyte drinks, anti nausea meds & Imodium were my go to.

Like @catwoman7 said vomiting is different post surgery. I describe it more like regurgitation because there’s no real muscle spasming & heaving & it almost just bubbles up. It also hits more quickly & passes almost immediately.

My cure all for sickness and coughs and colds.

Chop up a big chunk of ginger root, do the same with 2 or 3 lemons. Boil in a pan for 20 - 30 minutes. When cool put into a large jar with a lid. Keep in the fridge.

Use it like cordial/ tea , Put an inch in a cup and add hot or cold Water to it and sweeten as you like. I add honey for coughs [and whiskey]

I am two years out from my gastric bypass surgery. On the occasion when I do feel sick, I drink both Smartwater (for the electrolytes) and Fever Tree Ginger Beer. I get both the Smartwater and Fever Tree Ginger Beer at costco. The Ginger Beer is especially nice for calming down nausea and vomiting.