Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery weight gain

Because during the surgery they pump you full of IV fluids and it can take a week or more for that to come out of your system. Plus, if you haven't pooped in a while or are drinking salty fluids like broth, that can cause you to retain Water. Also, try to always weigh yourself at the same time of day in the same clothes (I weigh naked, first thing in the morning, after peeing).

Good luck!

^^^^ I agree with lizonaplane. People have been known to come out of the hospital up to 10 lbs heavier than when they went in.

The others said it. My surgeon said to try to stay off the scale for a couple of weeks because of this. Of course I didn’t listen. lol

Absolutely! Don’t get discouraged and just stick with your plan, it will happen.

Yup, fluids. Although it’s difficult, stay off the scale for 3 weeks or so after the surgery - you’ll be happier!

Try not to look at the scale for at least a month. You just had a major operation. You were filled with fluids, air, you likely haven't had a bowel movement yet. It's going to be all over the place for a couple of weeks. Hide your scale.

I was "fortunate" that I was too large to fit on a home scale (or most doctors scales) so I could only weigh at my Doc's office at follow-ups. As a result I didn't see any stalls or phantom weight gains, so the scale never messed with me, so I was never tempted to "change things up" to get the scale moving. I just stayed on plan.

Eventually, when I could weigh at home, I did it for a couple weeks until the novelty wore off, then I went back to only weighing at follow-ups then only annual physicals.

You don't necessarily need a scale for success.

My weight ruled my life for so long that I resolved after surgery I would stay on plan and let my weight take care of itself.

Good luck,

Tek

I had my check in with my surgeon Yesterday. I shared my concern and unfortunately he said I may not lose much weight with the RNY surgery because of my low starting weight but not gaining more weight should be my biggest goal. I’m feeling extremely disappointed and discouraged

1 hour ago, BruinGirl said:

he said I may not lose much weight with the RNY surgery because of my low starting weight but not gaining more weight should be my biggest goal.

That is pretty ridiculous for him to say so early post-op. BruinGirl, if you don't mind me asking, what was your starting BMI?

FYI, this is an outcomes calculator that many bariatric professionals use:

https://mbsc.arbormetrix.com/Registry/public/calculator/uiCalculator/7?menuId=1013

When you fill it out, hit the image.png.de6c52c49b29dcfd957c156a4d0eb5c0.png button at the upper right of the page

I don't know how much I gained after my sleeve, but it was a considerable amount due to a big dose of steroids they gave me due to the swelling of my sleeve after surgery. It took weeks to finally start losing. Keep with your program and you will start to lose.

Sent from my Z6201V using BariatricPal mobile app