Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2022 Surgery Buddies

40 minutes ago, Donna Suz said:

Thanks! The first week yes, it was a struggle. This week though my body seems to have accustomed itself to less food. It’s not near as hard. My emotions, however, that’s another story. Not being able to use my eating disorder as a way to avoid my feelings has been rough.

Yes! I feel that way I’m going to try and find a therapist now bc I’m gonna need one

On 03/29/2022 at 14:20, Jennimic said:

WooHoo, you can do hard things! I start my liquid preop diet today and have my bypass on 4/5, its all really happening!

Congratulations! So excited for you! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

On 03/29/2022 at 12:11, LaylaAA212 said:

anyone have any suggestions for the liquid diet, I start mine in a week and I am nervous because I don't know what all to drink/have on this diet. Doctor's office wasn't very specific besides: liquids only.

Any help or recommendations is appreciated!

Hi! I tried Premier but I didn’t care for those. Someone here suggested Fairlife, and I bought some from Amazon. I opened the first one literally 10 minutes ago, and it’s good…practically great! It does remind me of chocolate milk which is a good thing. I have 3 flavors to try, and the chocolate is definitely a YES!

On 03/29/2022 at 08:01, Mariann812 said:

Good morning!

Checked in for the ECHO STRESS Test. Listening to my running playlist to calm myself down. It’s not

really working. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Fingers still crossed for an April 11-ish surgery. This s/b the last pre-procedure test.

UPDATE:
All that worry was for nothing. I passed, and the cardiologist was beaming. He had told me 10 days ago he didn’t think I would pass. I laughed and told him: ‘I know I don’t look like a runner, but I used to run 7 miles a day, 5 days a week. I will do this.’
And, I did.
IMHO, they go easy on you when you are over 60 (I’m 67). I did 2 thallium stress tests 18 and 15 years ago and THEY.WERE.DIFFICULT. I think that at my age, they just don’t want you to keel over.
So, I worried for nothing basically. The techs at Cary Radiology were fabulous! They could not have been nicer! Everything was explained in great detail.
They wanted my heart rate to get to 130 which I was fine with. A year ago, I could get to 138 running around a nearby lake.
They were constantly asking how I was doing while on the treadmill. I was in for 5 minutes, they were hoping for 4.5 minutes. My bp was 220/140 when I told her I was finished. I knew to jump right onto the table so they could U/S while my heart rate was at peak.
I found it interesting that I was fine on the treadmill one minute and almost instantly I knew I was finished.
My post treadmill U/S pix were excellent.
The cardiologist was very nice. He told me that bariatric surgery is going to be wonderful for lowering my blood pressure. He said I will likely always be on bp meds, but carrying less weight will make a huge difference in my life. He was very encouraging, and Now that the stress test is behind me, I am really excited to move forward.

8 minutes ago, Mariann812 said:

UPDATE:
All that worry was for nothing. I passed, and the cardiologist was beaming. He had told me 10 days ago he didn’t think I would pass. I laughed and told him: ‘I know I don’t look like a runner, but I used to run 7 miles a day, 5 days a week. I will do this.’
And, I did.
IMHO, they go easy on you when you are over 60 (I’m 67). I did 2 thallium stress tests 18 and 15 years ago and THEY.WERE.DIFFICULT. I think that at my age, they just don’t want you to keel over.
So, I worried for nothing basically. The techs at Cary Radiology were fabulous! They could not have been nicer! Everything was explained in great detail.
They wanted my heart rate to get to 130 which I was fine with. A year ago, I could get to 138 running around a nearby lake.
They were constantly asking how I was doing while on the treadmill. I was in for 5 minutes, they were hoping for 4.5 minutes. My bp was 220/140 when I told her I was finished. I knew to jump right onto the table so they could U/S while my heart rate was at peak.
I found it interesting that I was fine on the treadmill one minute and almost instantly I knew I was finished.
My post treadmill U/S pix were excellent.
The cardiologist was very nice. He told me that bariatric surgery is going to be wonderful for lowering my blood pressure. He said I will likely always be on bp meds, but carrying less weight will make a huge difference in my life. He was very encouraging, and Now that the stress test is behind me, I am really excited to move forward.

So happy for you! I know you were worried so I’m very happy to hear you can now put this stress test behind you!

On 03/29/2022 at 15:43, Goldengirl321 said:

So happy for you! I know you were worried so I’m very happy to hear you can now put this stress test behind you!

I have been ‘eating my liver’ over this for 10 days. 🤣😂
I am so happy NOT to have to think about it.
Thank you so much!
And thanks to everyone here for answer my incessant questions that were always riddled with worry.

Just got my date… 4/25! Excited and even more nervous now. Plus a new slew of appointments and meetings. Anyone have tips on calming my nerves? I’m fine now but the closer I get I fear I’ll start to panic 😂

5 minutes ago, GinaVSG said:

Just got my date… 4/25! Excited and even more nervous now. Plus a new slew of appointments and meetings. Anyone have tips on calming my nerves? I’m fine now but the closer I get I fear I’ll start to panic 😂

I have no advice really bc I’m going under 4/19 also for a sleeve but to say I’m starting to get excited now. I went through the nerves part earlier. But I am very very nervous about the liquid diet I need to start next week. I’m prepared but I still have to cook and shop for two teenage boys so that is going to be tough. Good luck and congrats!

On 03/29/2022 at 18:07, GinaVSG said:

I’m probably not one to give calming advice as I was completely freaked out over my Echo Stress Test…a bundle of nerves.
That being said, when I received the list of pre-procedure tests and screenings, I felt somewhat overwhelmed. I’m not a list-maker, but I found that giving myself a few things to tackle everyday and crossing them off that day’s list, allowed me to have a sense of control.
I have a really nice Vuitton agenda book that has sat unused. It is now my ‘surgery notebook.’ I write everything pertaining to this endeavor in that book. Any piece of information I need is in that agenda. That gives me a sense of control as well.
This morning when I was freaking out while on my way to the stress test, I played my favorite playlist and did a lot of deep breathing. I’ve also cultivated a habit of being extra nice to me.
Good luck to you. Take it one step at a time. You will do great.

April 1st is fast approaching and I’m getting more and more nervous. Anyone else an April 1st date?

Good morning, I am so excited for you. Everything is going to be fine. Just do what the doctor's say and please remember to walk, walk, and walk.

On 03/30/2022 at 08:33, Kr!stal said:

April 1st is fast approaching and I’m getting more and more nervous. Anyone else an April 1st date?

I’m hoping for 4/7 or 4/11 and right now I am super excited. However, I do think that nervous is 100% understandable and I know that nervous will be down the road for me.
Be extra nice to yourself…wow, it’s the day after tomorrow.
Take deep breaths, focus on the present moment if you can.
Good luck to you! ❤️

6 hours ago, Kr!stal said:

I am right behind you on the 5th!

On 3/29/2022 at 6:07 PM, GinaVSG said:

Just focus on getting prepared and on how great you will feel a year from now! You will do great, we all will! One week until my surgery on April 6