Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you a member of the polar bear club?

On 1/5/2022 at 11:03 PM, SONeill13 said:

YES! This is my experience too. I've always been the one who was hot all the time, sweat frequently and all over, never ever cold. In fact I've always loved cold weather. Post surgery though, I've noticed that my sensitivity is definitely higher. My hands and feet have been cold frequently and I swear to you the other night I was shaking so hard my cat walked over to me with this concerned look on her face like I was seizing- the worst I have ever shivered in my life. Hoping that it will just be a temporary thing for a year or two but man....strange times.

Well...at least we are not alone. Misery loves company. 😁

I’m 12 weeks post op and have also been COLD recently. But is it because I’ve lost 55 lbs, or because it’s winter in Chicago?? 🤔 (probably both) sometimes I have to put on a hoody in my apartment and sleep with socks on.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:37 PM, AnotherGuy said:

1) Have you experienced this same issue?

2) Does it go away? If so, when?

3) Does anyone really know what causes it?

4) Why am I not cold all the time?

Let me preface this by saying I'm one of those crazy Scandinavians. We get put outside to sleep when we're babies, for hours, also in sub-zero temperatures. I love the cold, love sleeping in a bedroom so cold I can see my own breath. You just sleep so well. This didn't change while getting fat, obviously.

Then, bariatric surgery happened.

1) Immediately. Had to change my bedroom temp from 40F to 78F. No, literally.

2) Yes. A week ago. 13 months out. Bedroom temp is down to 60F.

3) It's not just lack of insulation, but that's part of it. What you're experiencing now will get worse, and then it'll get better.

4) See above. Your body is busy with other things.

:)

48 minutes ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Let me preface this by saying I'm one of those crazy Scandinavians.

Love the descriptive phrases. Thanks for the info. I have hope this doesn’t last forever.

3 hours ago, AnotherGuy said:

Love the descriptive phrases. Thanks for the info. I have hope this doesn’t last forever.

In about 30-50 lbs, you won't look extra chunky in a sweater, people will be guessing if you're just really strong. I hated wearing thick clothes before because it made me look even bigger.

Killing it with tighter knitwear now. Go buy some warm clothes! :)

I used to say I was built like a polar bear and could tolerate the open windows in classrooms in the winter! Lol

Another crazy Scandi here... I am shaming my Viking ancestors on the daily here. I had my entire HVAC replaced so I could have more efficient heat (I live in Orange County, California!). I am ALWAYS cold. I am about four months out so have a while before equilibrium hits.

5 hours ago, vikingbeast said:

Another crazy Scandi here... I am shaming my Viking ancestors on the daily here.

Lol. We shall huddle the masses here in cyberspace and weather the cold. From my understanding, warmth will return in the near future.

Haha yes!! Thank goddess I live somewhere where the temp is in the high nineties low hundreds most of the time. I did get strange looks when complaining of the cold and putting on a vest coming into summer

On 1/5/2022 at 5:37 AM, ShoppGirl said:

Living in south Florida this is not a terribly bad thing. I used to sweat a lot. To the point that I sought out meds for excessive sweating. I would sweat Standing still in the shade. 65 pounds less insulation and I don’t get cold but I don’t sweat anymore either unless I am in the direct south Florida sun or doing some physical activity. My husband freezes though (he is just naturally slim and fit) so I get what you mean. He will be wearing a light jacket in the middle of summer outside and everyone around is comfortable or even hot. It’s weird.

I noticed this too, this weekend I went to a friends cattle station everyone was sweating except me and only when i read your reply did the penny drop. I was thinking oh my fitness hasnt improved enough to sweat ( fit people sweat more apparently) but yep its our new frog bodies

I’m also in Orange County California….
i had a student ask me the other day (when it was actually 80 degrees out) why I had five shirts on. Lol

i corrected her and told her she was wrong: I had on TWO shirts on…..and a sweater……and a jacket

and…. I was STILL cold.

i just can’t function in the cold anymore. I hope it gets better. I am about 10 months out right now and I am desperately looking forward to summer so we can have the heat turned back on in our state 😅

All the fricking time! My fingers, nose, and toes are permanent icicles now! I live on the Gulf of Mexico, lol, it's been in the 70s this week and I'm dressed like I'm about to trek through the arctic.

Edited by Mz D

I am 6 months and still freezing- all the time. I do notice that when I keep up on my movement/exercise goals in addition to my macro goals it is not nearly as bad as the days/weeks when I don't. So I am learning it is important to keep that metabolism up and keep the fires burning not just for weight loss but for warmth!

I’m glad im not the only one. The one thing I miss about being a larger lady is being warm….

im forever cold… unless I’m in the shower or in bed. Which I can’t do all day - although it sounds amazing!
In the U.K. at the moment we are sitting about -3c most days. (Around 26F) so I’m pretty chilly. I’ve pumped the heating up to a balmy 20c(68F) in the house but I also need to wear:

thermal leggings - normally used for skiing

2 pairs of socks and lambs wool slippers

Pair of joggers

vest top

tshirt

hoodie

body warmer (gilet)

and I have a hot water bottle strapped to me.

i drink a lot more coffee now because I always need a hot drink in hand.
im holidaying in sunny Orlando in 38 days and I can not wait for some heat! Although I’m sure I will be freezing while indoors when my partner cranks the AC on. He’s a typical Brit that sweats at the site of the sun (he’s also ginger so suntans when he opens the fridge)

So packing woolly socks, and hoodies for my Sunny holiday! Oh how times have changed…..

🤪🥶

I am in my fifth month post-surgery, and what I have experienced, especially at night, is period of feeling very cold inside my body. I have covers on and heat on, but still I have these chills. I wake up cold and put on another sweater. Now granted, we are in the mountains and it is very cold right now with snow. And, I have always been much colder-feeling than my husband. But I have experienced these night chills since the surgery.