Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel full - No Hunger - Still eat?

So I just finished clear liquid phase for a week and now for the next 3 weeks I am on "full liquids"

Though I have no hunger and most of the time I feel full and not wanting to eat.

Do I still go on about eating my meals on regular intervals even if I feel kinda full?

I have my dietician appointment in about 2 weeks. But till then I just have to follow the schedule.

I definitely understand wanting to 'get more out of it' by not eating, it's so freeing finally not feeling food controls you, right?

However, we need calories to function. Regardless if we feel hungry or not. For many of us, 'hunger' has been messed up for years and years due to social, mental, physical pressure to not eat because we were too heavy.

I would eat something, even if you feel full* Once you've got a structured, predictable routine set for eating, you can start making little changes to accommodate your life and preferences (preferably with expert guidance from your team).

For now, it's early days, and your body needs something to work with.

----

*Note to sleevers: bypass patients feel full not (/not just) from having a full pouch, but because food bypassing part of the intestine releases fullness hormones quicker. It seems the effect wanes over time for RNY'ers. However, your guidance to not eat if you feel full doesn't always apply to us, and especially not for someone 10 days out from RNY.

Edited by Guest

What he said ^^

I am no expert D&S (particularly since I had a sleeve!) so do wait for the people who know more to come along, but for what it's worth I would definitely be eating something. Keep a Protein Shake beside you and sip? Small amounts of Soup and stuff at regular intervals?

it's very common for hunger to be suppressed for anywhere from a couple of months to up to a year after surgery (for a small minority, the suppression is permanent, but for most of us, hunger comes back sometime during the first year). Be glad for it as it makes sticking to your plan much easier if you're never hungry. But that said, you DO need to stick to your plan. You need the calories and nutrients to maintain your health.

Yes, you must consume your Protein Drinks and other fluids on schedule. Stick to the guidelines whether or not you lack a feeling of hunger. Part of our readjustment is to rely less upon feelings of hunger or fullness. You may not feel hunger for months. You need your Protein and fluids so don't skip anything.

Make sure you're hitting your Protein requirements. That's important - even if it's through Protein Shakes and Water.

I really struggled to eat during the pureed and soft food phases, and I stalled 4 times (almost one week on, one week off). It was really frustrating. So that's one BIG negative to not getting calories in. I'm still not great at getting food in, but my calories are now between 800 to 1000 (versus 400 to 600 max), and the stalling has stopped and I'm losing weight now at a steady pace.

So I absolutely feel you on the zero-hunger thing! Just get that protein and your supplements and water in, and until you can eat more, be prepared for the possibility of stalling. Keep at it. It does get easier to eat.

Remember the liquids you’re consuming as food (broths, shakes, etc.) count towards your daily Fluid goal. I wasn’t interested in eating either. I sipped on them just like I did Water.

It is essential to ‘eat’ to get some nutrients into your body. It’s going through a lot. Do t stress it further by starving yourself. Start establishing a good eating routine, like three ‘meals’ a day, from the beginning to help set your new eating habits. (Mind you in the liquid stage I only had 2 ‘meals’ a day.)

I continue to eat to routine 2.5yrs out. I just make adjustments to what I eat if I don’t feel hungry or don’t want to eat (like yoghurt instead of a full ‘meal’ or drop a snack). It’s how I ensure I get my Protein in, don’t randomly pick at food between my meal & snack times & still consume enough calories to maintain.

Good luck.